Page 14 of 18

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:21 pm
by annmarie
Brilliant review Gwen! Glad you thought Sat's Marianne was the best :) You should have heard it from "the sticks"!!!!!!!!! Noticed droves of people leaving before the end tho. I can understand why someone with a child would want to get ahead of the crowd, but imagine turning your back on Marianne :!:

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:22 pm
by Goldin
musicmania wrote:We all loved when before Take This Waltz Cohen quoted something which included the line "Let my people dance" This was obviously a comment to the stewards to allow us dance in the aisles during this song as we made our way to the stage for the encores. I've yet to discover the origins of those words but it was a touching moment from Cohen to all of us which he repeated the following night.
OMG. I've found that moment at DIME upload of Sept 14 concert. This is from Go Down Moses (aka Let My People Go).
And this is priceless. Pri-ce-less. Thank you, Gwen, for letting us know!

When Israel was in Egypt land
Let my people dance
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people dance

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 pm
by musicmania
Goldin wrote:
musicmania wrote:We all loved when before Take This Waltz Cohen quoted something which included the line "Let my people dance" This was obviously a comment to the stewards to allow us dance in the aisles during this song as we made our way to the stage for the encores. I've yet to discover the origins of those words but it was a touching moment from Cohen to all of us which he repeated the following night.
OMG. I've found that moment at DIME upload of Sept 14 concert. This is from Go Down Moses (aka Let My People Go).
And this is priceless. Pri-ce-less. Thank you, Gwen, for letting us know!

When Israel was in Egypt land
Let my people dance
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people dance
Thank you Roman for letting us know the origins of this. I'll edit my blog and the submitted review to Drop-d. So pleased to now know :D

Thank you for the kind comments friends. Yes those were the roses Minnie. There is a very special reason as to why I felt compelled to give Leonard the roses, one which I am not ready to share yet but will do when I am. I'm still processing it in my own head first. Suffice to say though Leonard's kind gesture means more to me than I can ever put into words.

Unbelievable someone would choose to miss So Long Marianne Anne!!

CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 pm
by JudasPriest
Really nice review of the 4 nights, enjoyed reading it. Someone mentioned looking forward to an Old Ideas tour live album...is that just hoping/educated guessing or do we know for sure it's in the pipeline?

CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 am
by Hydrogal
musicmania wrote:
minnie wrote: That's part of it but I think, more importantly, "So Long, Marianne" speaks to that part of human nature which the Irish psyche is deeply in touch with; an awareness of the bitter sweet and sometimes horrendous loss that's intrinsically enmeshed with love/life and anything that moves the heart. Accepting that brings an ability to give space to hope, nostalgia and humour without polarising the spectrum of experience.

Maybe it could be petitioned as our new National Anthem ...
Yes, beautifully said. This is THE song that captured my heart - and I am not a youngster! I listened to it over and over and it seemed to bring a sort of peace to my soul. I've wondered many times since then--"Why Marianne?" I was suffering a great loss myself at the time. Now I believe I have the answer. Thanks for that!


Barbara

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:13 am
by jono1
http://youtu.be/c5YUwU2zZk8

So Long Marianne form 11/9/12



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_vf-bx ... el&list=UL

Alexandra Leaving from 12/9/12



Who shall I say is calling 11/9/12
http://youtu.be/RuB0oEi-b1U

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:35 am
by merri
Both last nights were certainly worth going all the way from Moscow!
On Friday I was a bit surprised with audience reaction for 'I'm your man'. And the waltz between the rows is a thing to remember.
'Anyhow' became so more notable for me with new lyrics and 'anyhow' back vocals at the end.

Didn't expect to sit by 'talkies' at the 5th row on Saturday, if they didn't like the songs, why come to the open-air concert when it's cold and windy :roll:

Other than that the people who sat around were long-time fans, moreover, many people I talked to in Dublin liked Leonard Cohen and would like to attend the concerts if tickets were more affordable.

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 am
by sturgess66
MaryRachel wrote:from the 11th

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHswr-e9X2w

I Can't Forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unPk7-Tu7_c

Heart With No Companion (for some reason my camera decided to go blurry during this one, sound is ok though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJPNtXgv94
Thanks Mary Rachel!

And does anyone know what it is that Leonard can't forget - starting at @1:35 ??
Whatever he is saying - Neil and Roscoe seem to be enjoying it :lol:
About all I can hear is "circumstances"

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:44 am
by IMM
sturgess66 wrote:
And does anyone know what it is that Leonard can't forget - starting at @1:35 ??
Whatever he is saying - Neil and Roscoe seem to be enjoying it :lol:
About all I can hear is "circumstances"
Invictus - I think.

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am
by TipperaryAnn
sandraa wrote: It was also great to wait and see Leonard leaving last night and we were well rewarded with waves etc .
Not sure what the etc. means, sandraa - in case anyone reading this thinks they missed something, the car drew up right in front of the door and Leonard was just able to give a quick wave and a smile before Joey and the others got him into the car. Of course they have to "mind" him, but since it was the final night a brief photo op. without the car blocking our view would have been so welcome, to get a photo of Leonard Leaving!

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:55 am
by sturgess66
IMM wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:
And does anyone know what it is that Leonard can't forget - starting at @1:35 ??
Whatever he is saying - Neil and Roscoe seem to be enjoying it :lol:
About all I can hear is "circumstances"
Invictus - I think.
Thanks! Now I can hear/match at least the first verse - and he probably sang the first two verses -
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Does anyone who was at the show on the 14th know what he did in this section?

I notice from the set list provided by IrishMar that he recited The Flood on the 15th - before Anthem.
http://bit.ly/S0MHNF

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm
by Goldin
These lines were recited previously in Amsterdam (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32575&start=45#p312185), somewhere else?..

Update: I Can't Forget w/ Invictus (some recordings of the song are still unavailable):
1) Amsterdam 21st
2) London 9th
3) Dublin 11th

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:36 pm
by Gordana
Out Of The Night Than Covers Me by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:24 pm
by burningviolin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmCOcd ... 1347988872

My video from the back of Who By Fire, shows all the people (including me eh hem) walking around. I now realise how rubbish my camera is, it's about 4 years old, other than this I left the recordings up to the professionals like IrishAl and Somewhat nifty.:-)

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm
by cohenadmirer
burningviolin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmCOcd ... 1347988872

My video from the back of Who By Fire, shows all the people (including me eh hem) walking around. I now realise how rubbish my camera is, it's about 4 years old, other than this I left the recordings up to the professionals like IrishAl and Somewhat nifty.:-)
My goodness - really conveys very clearly the distracting (to say the least ) behaviour of some of the audience ! :(