CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
MaryB

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by MaryB »

Wybe wrote:Our Ireland (Dublin) picture show is on-line.
http://www.icantforget.nl/Ierland2012.html
Wybe
What a lovely tour through Ireland! I got to see so much I had missed on my last trip there. Nice to see Eric again and everyone else. Thank you Wybe and Willy!

Congratulations on becoming grandparents!

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

6 devoted fans forming unified heart in Dublin Saturday after soundcheck :)
FUH.jpg
Eva
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

:-)
holydove

Post by holydove »

Beautiful photo - thank you for posting, Eva. It's great to see everyone looking so cheerful! There must be a professional choreographer in this group. . .
Joan

Post by Joan »

I'm finally getting around to adding a few lines here.
I was at the Friday and Saturday night concerts and they were magical. On the Friday I was in the 4th row of the centre block so I wasn't really bothered much by the walkers and drinkers. On Saturday I was in the 12th row of the centre block so I was more aware of them, but I was able to shut them out and totally focus on the stage.
As always Leonard and the entire band were superb - they certainly give it everything.
Every note and every word were crystal clear - Leonard's diction is sublime - couldn't you just listen forever.....

This time 'Night Comes On' really moved me and has haunted me nicely ever since - I still see and hear it in my head...
Special Highlight though has to be Leonard's new and wonderfully mischievous version of 'Anyhow' on Saturday night - it was great to see him laughing and enjoying how he was being cheered on by the crowd - 'He's old, but he's still into that...' and by God he's still got it too if the women's reactions ( my own included ) are anything to go by :)

I have quite a few videos but the only way I have to upload any is through Photobucket - everything else is blocked here at work - the drawback with Photobucket is that 4 mins is the longest video it will upload. Almost all of my concert videos from both nights are longer than 4 minutes - but I do have 'Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye' from Fridays concert.
If you look closely towards the end of Alex's violin solo, you'll see Leonard giving a smile and a nod of approval, probably to Roscoe, to confirm that yes, the song had been ready to be included that night.
Hope you enjoy the video.
Kind Regards, Joan.
PS. in response to sax or violin - I think I prefer the violin - for me it enriched the songs more.

Video of 'Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye'
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/cu ... sNoWay.mp4
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Joan, thanks for this. I just love this song, and you're right, the violin is gorgeous with it. But better still you also got Leonard's "And I'm fond of you too" response to someone who shouted something like (presumably ) "I love you Leonard!" :D

Your review brings back the joy of being there. And it's great the way you couldn't take the camera off LC !
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Joan, Thanks for posting that link. Leonard did not sing Hey that's not way to say Goodbye on the Tuesday and it is one of my favourite songs. However, I did miss Dino's instrumental bit in the middle which I think gives it a haunting, melancholy feel. I just think there is a place for both the wind instruments and the violin in the band - bring back Dino!
At the concert on Tuesday, during one song (I can't remember which one now) Charley was playing sax between singing and, although she played well, it did not seem to flow so smoothly as usual.

Helen
B4real

Post by B4real »

Thanks Joan, for that video,
Such a wonderful song (in my top ten) and absolutely enhanced by Alex' violin :D It's such a joy to listen to the true soulful feeling it gives to the song.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

depe wrote:I was lucky to see Leonard both in Wembley and Dublin a few days apart. Although the performance was brilliant in both cases, to me there was quite a difference betweenthe Wembley Leonard and the Dublin Leonard. He clearly loves Dublin and the Irish people. He was energised, clearly enjoying himself, chatty and charismatic. However at Wembley compared to Dublin he said very little and appeared to be quite a different person. I hope us Brits haven't done anything to put him off us and I am very glad I got to see him at his best in Dublin, even though hypothermia nearly set in.
There seems no doubt that Leonard is in love with the idea of being loved by the Irish - just as the Irish are in love with the idea of being special to Leonard. Whether either is true is a moot point. But I also think there was a very pragmatic reason why Leonard said less at Wembley. Quite simply he was under enormous time pressure because of the late start and he chose to give us as much music as possible rather than chat to the audience. Despite this, he did talk, he talked about the change of venue and other things and he clearly responded to the warmth (physical and emotional) in the room, particularly on the Saturday night. That night felt like a bit of a love-in which, if I'm completely honest, took me a little by surprise given British reserve. If the Brits had done anything to put Leonard off visiting the UK, the atmosphere at Wembley redressed the balance. But the truth is we've done nothing. We just have to be patient and Leonard will hopefully come back to us.

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
There seems no doubt that Leonard is in love with the idea of being loved by the Irish - just as the Irish are in love with the idea of being special to Leonard. Whether either is true is a moot point.
Well, at least it's mutual then! :lol:

When LC is on that familiar stage, surrounded by those familiar people, singing those familiar songs, it must feel much the same whichever country he is in. Maybe that's why he reminds himself where he is every night in "Hallelujah"!
Joan

Post by Joan »

Thanks to HelenD & B4real for your kind word re my video.
Glad you liked it.

TippAnn - Yes I had my camera totally trained on Leonard :) ( Who Wouldn't ;-) )
That recording was early on the first night.....
...On the 2nd night I did do a few more stage sweeps to take in the band, but still always came back to Leonard before too long !

Kind Regards, Joan.
rigray

Post by rigray »

I just found my old ticket stub from 1976, Dublin Stadium!
I just found my old ticket stub from 1976, Dublin Stadium!
I really have to say that Leonard Cohen was in great singing voice in Dublin and his band were excellent as usual. The highlights for me were 'Alexandra Leaving' and 'Famous Blue Raincoat'. Thanks leonard, please come back to Dublin soon!
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Wow Rigray, you really did take that last sentence on the ticket very seriously! :lol: How very cool that you still have it, and in good condition too. 8)
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
rigray

Post by rigray »

Yes, as a matter of fact I have a good collection of all my ticket stubs going back 40 years, I would like to scan them all in and display them in an album format, maybe even a searchable databse. It would be a great project for me if I ever got the time to do it!! Thanks for your comment, burningviolin. :)
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Good on you, Rigray - you have a great history of support for LC from 1976 to 2012 ! A true "fan"... :D

Would love to hear your memories of those earlier concerts...

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”