GHENT: meetups, nametags & lanyards ...

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Maarten

Re: GHENT: meetups, nametags & lanyards ...

Post by Maarten »

Ken,
I was hoping you wouldn't be in Belgium by the 13th, that's why I suggested this date for a movie, instead of the other "gap" in between the 3th and 4th concert.
But you can always send the discs to me (no need to send it "signed for") and I'll have a look at them if I'm really bored... Afterwards, I'm sure Wenche would want to thank you for the beautiful silver coasters that would fit perfectly with our other tableware.

Ride on,
Maarten

(Off topic: while running the Antwerp 10 Miles, all of a sudden Vera (you remember her from the CM gig in Amsterdam!) started cheering for me! She first noticed the UH flag before recognizing me...)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

ah well it was just an idea maarten.....i thought folk would like a break from those 17 LC concerts they will be attending during their stay in ghent..

(also off topic..vera struck me as very nice well educated and well balanced young lady when i met her for the first time in amsterdam at the christy moore concert....just goes to show how wrong first impressions can be)

only joking vera ...honest....ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Any activity will suit Meritxell and me for the 13th as far as we meet :D
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Count me in, Maarten. (+my friend, Mariann as well). And thanks :)
Eva
ashleyf

Post by ashleyf »

Thanks Maarten, Wife Anita and I would like to attend . I assume it will be in the evening ?
Sanverp

GHENT: meetups, nametags & lanyards ...

Post by Sanverp »

Hey Maarten,

Just sent you a mail to add me on the meeting list.
Thanks and looking forward to it.

Regards,
Peter
Kind Regards,
Peter
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

As some of you may know, Adam Cohen will perform on August 13th at Brussels Summer Festival. That will be just between the first two Ghent concerts of Leonard. Brussels is not that far from Ghent and as we really had a great time at Adam's show last year in Vienna, my friend and i would love to go and see him again.

If you want to join us, send me an e-mail to leonardcohenclubhungary at gmaildotcom.

We're thinking about renting a car/van/bus, it depends on the number of participants.

Here's a link to the festival and tickets:
http://www.bsf-brusselssummerfestival.b ... am-cohen-c
http://www.bsf-brusselssummerfestival.b ... es/tickets

Eva
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

I've already posted this to FB, sorry to those who have to see it twice, I hope you don't mind too much :D
This is a button I designed and will give to every "Ghent fivers" as a little present.
(I asked Maarten for advice and I hope I ordered enough for everyone who attend all the five concerts in Ghent. I'll be there from August 9th, contact me if you want to get your button earlier than the first show. My e-mail can be find in the previous post)
Eva
button.jpg
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Maarten wrote:Hi,
An updated list of participants to any of the meetups has been uploaded. We are close to 140 people asking for a nametag, lanyards etc...
More info to follow soon, I hope.

Another question:
How do you guys feel about screening a Leonard Cohen movie from my private collection on Aug 13 (the day between the first two concerts)? If we have a small group of people, I'll try to find a suitable place for the screening but I would need an approximate number of possible attendants... Let me know if you're interested (and feel free to give suggestions on which movie to show)!

Take care,
Maarten
Unfortunately we won't be able to make this now as we will be at the Adam Cohen concert in Brussels unless of course you are planning it for earlier in the day! We couldn't resist the idea of Leonard/Adam/Leonard in the space of 3 days :D

Great badges Eva :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
fasby

Post by fasby »

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for the great job you do for us Cohenites.
If anything happens on the 13th,I would be glad to be part of it(two persons).
Thinking about the film projection
Thank you. Anne
tip of the lily

Post by tip of the lily »

Dear Maarten,
If still possible, please count on me too the 12th, first concert, for the meetup, me and my friend Ida.
love
Lydia
rotterdam 2008
gent 2010
hydra 2011
ghent 2012
amsterdam 2012
brussels 2013
rotterdam 2013
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

majmunka wrote:As some of you may know, Adam Cohen will perform on August 13th at Brussels Summer Festival. That will be just between the first two Ghent concerts of Leonard. Brussels is not that far from Ghent and as we really had a great time at Adam's show last year in Vienna, my friend and i would love to go and see him again.
If you want to join us, send me an e-mail to leonardcohenclubhungary at gmaildotcom.
Eva
Further information:
No need to rent a car, the train is cheaper, we can buy "Summer tickets" (15€ for a round trip), 30 minutes ride, the last train leaves Brussels after midnight. One day pass for the festival costs 15€ and can be purchased here (and printed at home): http://www.sherpa.be/www4/Ticketing/ste ... edf56244d0
Eva
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

One week pass is Euro 35 which would also get you to see John Cale on 10 August ...
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi all,
Here's another update on the meetups etc... Feel free to comment or ask if something is unclear or if I missed something!

Because I'll have to meet a lot of people before the first concert (Sun Aug 12), I have decided to start the meetup that day sooner than on the other dates. I'm counting on you all to pay me a visit at the early meetup (2-3.30pm) to collect your goodie bag and tickets if necessary. More info on that further down this post.

Some general information first:
GreenHouse Talent (local Belgian promotor) has sent out a letter to everyone living in Ghent close to the St Peter's Square where the concerts are held. I'm listing some of the most important lines here:
- Wed Aug 8: start of the stage build, which means the Square will be closed for trafic from that day (pedestrians and bikers are allowed)
- Sat Aug 11: 11-11.30am: PA will be tested (noise)
- Sat Aug 11: somewhere between 2pm and 5pm: short soundcheck (by the band?!)

- On concert dates:
---> 11-11.30am: PA testing
---> somewhere between 2pm and 5pm: soundcheck
---> 8-11.30pm: concert (ends between 11.30-midnight)

Free buses will be available from and to Flanders Expo (details: http://www.leonardcoheningent.be)

Meetups:
In 2010, the soundchecks that took place on the concert dates were from 4pm until 5pm. I have inquired about this with Roscoe Beck and he didn't think it would change for the upcoming tour. Also, the letter of GreenHouse Talent suggests soundchecks somewhere between 2pm and 5pm, so I'm assuming 4-5pm for soundchecks will be correct. Because the St Peter's Square is an open air venue, we will be able to listen to (not see) the soundchecks and I'm sure many of our forum members/concert goers would like to take this opportunity. I've taken this into consideration to organize the meetup schedule.

Sun Aug 12 (first concert):
2pm-3.30pm: meeting at De Gruut (http://www.gruut.be) to pick up nametags, goodie bags and tickets
3.30pm: walk to St Peter's Square for soundchecks for those that want to go there
4pm-5pm (approx): soundcheck
5.30pm-6.30pm: back at De Gruut
6.30pm: split into smaller groups for dinner
8pm-11.30pm: concert
11.30pm-...: back at De Gruut (?) for drinks (IMPORTANT: De Gruut is closed on Sunday evening and they didn't particularly like the idea to re-open the place for us after the concert... I'm still trying to convince them that there will be plenty of us after the concert. In case this doesn't work out, we would need another place to meet or we could meet at the venue somewhere and then walk together until we find something nice. Will keep you posted on this! UPDATE: De Gruut has agreed to open for us on Sunday evening! Thx!!!)

Aug 14, 15, 17 & 18:
Same schedule as mentioned above, except for the pre-soundcheck meetup. De Gruut will be open all day, including after the concert, so all meetups will be there!

Mon Aug 13:
I initially planned to show a movie that evening, but because Adam Cohen will be playing at a festival in Brussels that night, some people would like to go to Brussels. We could watch a movie at De Gruut around 3pm-5pm which would leave enough time to get to the Adam Cohen concert afterwards, but I don't know if that would suit you all... Please advise on the timing...

Nametags/goodie bags:
I'm preparing nametags and goodie bags for everyone on my list. A total package including nametag, lanyard, wristband and a couple of extra's (3 other items specifically made for the Ghent concerts!)will be 5 EUR. Payment can be done when picking up your goodie bag and nametag. Please try to remember your number on my list (see first post in this thread), so I can easily find your nametag. :-)

De Gruut:
De Gruut is situated in between the St Peter's Square and the old city center. It's about 800 metres away from the venue (10 minute walk) and another 800 metres from the city center.
I will post a small Google Map in the next post:
A = St Peter's Square
B = De Gruut
C = City Center

See you all soon!
Maarten

UPDATE: in case of emergency, you can always call me at +32 473 93 60 59 (cell phone)

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

A = St Peter's Square
B = De Gruut (www.gruut.be - Grote Huidevettershoek 10, Gent)
C = City Center
Ghent map.JPG
(click to enlarge)

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”