CONCERT REPORT: Copenhagen, August 25, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
sturgess66

CONCERT REPORT: Copenhagen, August 25, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

From Camp Cohen /Joey -

Come to Copenhagen

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/301 ... copenhagen

Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phillip

Re: CONCERT REPORT: AUG 25 - COPENHAGEN, DENMARK

Post by phillip »

Great photos look forward to more and reports and videos in the morning bedtime here in UK night :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A little video from Camp Cohen / Joey -

http://leonardcohen.tumblr.com/post/301 ... n-in-dansk
Get Down Dansk

Venue Summary:
Rosenborg Castle (Rosenborg Slot) was built by Christian IV (1606-34) in Renaissance style. The castle has an almost fairytale-like location in Kongens Have. Rosenborg was originally a country mansion outside the walls of the city, and is known for its richly decorated rooms and copper roof. The castle is surrounded by moats, and just outside the castle you'll find a very beautiful rose garden. Ever since the absolutist monarchy, Rosenborg has also been the home of the royal crown jewels and also serves as a museum about the royal family. For security reasons, electricity has never been installed.
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Wills Heaney ‏@willsheaney - was tweeting a lot - from the show - -
"I can't forget, bt I don't remember what (pause), may I draw your attention, to the moon?" *10000 ppl look at moon, go 'ooh'* #leonardcohen
'I don't know when we'll meet again, but let it be soon, and if it's never, well we're going to give you everything tonight.'
He's 76, he's been on 2 an a half hours. He says "We're going to keep playing 'til they turn off the lights"
This is just impossibly beautiful. #castle #sky #moon #leonardcohen #cohenhagen *blinks*
Oh. The Partisan. *dies*
You forget don't you, he wrote Hallelujah? 10000 Danes know it. #cohenhagen
"From Kent, England, the sublime Webb sisters." *swoon*
At a moment in tonight's gig, (tweets passim) Leonard Cohen said "May I draw ur attention to the moon?", everyone swooned.

Lilly Hunter ‏@LillyLyle
Poignant moment: Danish flag put at half-mast during the second set of Leonard Cohen's outdoor concert in Copenhagen #NeilArmstrong
Last edited by sturgess66 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

It was so marvellous,georgious, over natural - I don't have words for it. Such a special, intense atmosphere and I so much loved this concert!

The newspapers give 6 stars (out of six) and here are the links for the reviews published by now:

http://m.bt.dk/touch/content.pml?guid=w ... k-skoenhed

http://ekstrabladet.dk/musik/koncert_an ... 813444.ece

http://gaffa.dk/anmeldelse/63882

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Thanks Amrei - I'm posting the English translation (a Google translation :shock: ) for the first article -
http://m.bt.dk/touch/content.pml?guid=w ... k-skoenhed

Leonard Cohen delivered unearthly beauty
By Steffen Jungersen 26th August 2012

Leonard Cohen and his sublime band invited to dance the star blankets in Copenhagen

It was so right there in the neighborhood of two hours inside Leonard Cohen's good three-hour concert Saturday night in 'Take This Waltz' that I - to use a big word - was a revelation (and now you are warned, it is not the only big words that find their way into this review): For there was suddenly written in words, tones and almost paralyzing nerve sincerity from a great, great artist. The moments where there simply is more at stake than that. Where music is no longer 'just' is music, but penetrates, where it makes both good and evil. How hint of how beautiful life can be - even in a world of dead dance rout - in small stab in the heart constantly draws attention to itself.

Thus, welcome to a concert where the description 'excellent' ranks as a faulty telescope, when you had hoped for heaven on a plate. For this, ladies and gentlemen, was the blood of a beating heart, life in its most beautiful form and underlines the fact that we have an obligation to live førbemeldte life when it is lived strongest. So will it be that this new description is probably more than enough to save me a small fortune diagnosis from the more cynical among readers. For the music when music is beautiful no filters, and it would be a crime against themselves and all others to put filters into.

On a more prosaic level, I can of course also just quote a dear friend and colleague, as the Creator's discretion know what time felt called to exclaim in the middle of 'Come Healing':

- Holy shit, how did the man written many excellent songs.

Well, he has - Leonard Cohen, who turns 78 on a month time. And where were the songs, however beautiful, sovereign and vibrant served at Rosenborg drill of Cohen with his straight sublime band and perhaps the best and most crystal-clear sound I have ever had the pleasure to experience the outdoors.

When the band first played in time with 'Dance Me To The End Of Love, an adorable bluesy' Bird On A Wire 'and' Banjo 'renowned concert qualitatively only one way: up. As darkness - in fact just about 'Darkness'! - Descended upon the city with the promise of life and sweet sins, the kind now even brings.

In the darkness came the intensity and intimacy, Cohen's songs now even require if they are to seriously unfold. And then we went from the sublime to the breathtaking: from the aforementioned 'Come Healing' via 'Tower Of Song', 'Heart With No Companion', 'I'm Your Man' and 'Democracy' to the aforementioned 'Take This Waltz' and an adorable version of the Drifters' old 'Save The Last Dance For Me'.

And I have not even mentioned two of the evening's absolute highlights: the whistling beautiful ballads' Coming Back To You "and" Alexandra Leaving ", which were sung by Cohen chorus girls. The former of the brilliant sisters Charley and Hattie Webb, and the last of Cohen's longtime songwriting partner Sharon Robinson.

It was a great, great evening with an even greater artist. There were periods of unearthly beauty, and if - as the theme naturally seems to be the aging protagonist of these years - Leonard Cohen is nearing his life last blues, then it damn not be nicer - the game as it was on angelic heart strings.

LEONARD COHEN

Rosenborg drill

Six stars out of six
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Sneak peek af #LeonardCohen
Source

Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Love the colours and a bit surrealistic composition:

(source)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A bit of video - it is not "up close" - bits of various songs - a lot of "Democracy"

Uploaded by BjarkeBolding - Thanks!

Video captures - @2:18 - just before "Democracy" - Leonard says "... and we're going to keep on going until --- they turn out the lights"

Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas World Tour - Copenhagen, Denmark - 2012-08-25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWJ1J2rrH3s
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

NEW_IDEAS

Post by NEW_IDEAS »

Great show! Weather was ok, a little rain at the start of the show. Place really packed. A sweet marijuana smell at various places, I hate that smell!
Leonard had to stop at 11 pm sharp, so we didn´t get CLOSING TIME and some others... But 3,5 hours ain´t bad! Violin player was good, but I miss Dino! I think both could be in the band at the same time!

I knew there was a big chance that Cohen would stay at my hotel and of course he did (HOTEL ST PETRI, first hotels) so I took my camera when we left the room
At breakfast at the hotel I recognized a familiar figure with a hat. Yes, Leonard and 4-5 others having breakfast. I didn´t want to disturb them but when they were leaving I went to Leonard, shaked his hand and said Thanks for everything. My girlfriend took 2 photos and then I took 2 photos of her and Leonard. I told Leonard "Don´t steal her away from me, she´s my girlfriend...." He grinned! I then asked for an autograph which he kindly wrote. At 11 AM they all went on a pretty regular bus and took off to the next show.
My next stop - Gothenburg fri 31 (3rd row...)
L.C. - Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Copenhagen 2008. Malmö 2010. Copenhagen, Gothenburg 2012. ????????? 2026 :=)
ken1asen

Post by ken1asen »

Here is my video of "Save The Last Dance For Me" from Rosenborg Eksercerplads, Copenhagen Aug 25. 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJBGjLQ ... e=youtu.be

pls. copy the link to a new window in order to see video

-enjoy :-)
Last edited by ken1asen on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

ken1asen wrote:Here is my video of "Save The Last Dance For Me" from Rosenborg Eksercerplads, Copenhagen Aug 25. 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJBGjLQ ... e=youtu.be
Your video is wonderful, ken. You did a great job.
Thank you for sharing this exceptional video, especially under difficult conditions.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

NEW_IDEAS wrote:Great show! Weather was ok, a little rain at the start of the show. Place really packed. A sweet marijuana smell at various places, I hate that smell!
Leonard had to stop at 11 pm sharp, so we didn´t get CLOSING TIME and some others... But 3,5 hours ain´t bad! Violin player was good, but I miss Dino! I think both could be in the band at the same time!

I knew there was a big chance that Cohen would stay at my hotel and of course he did (HOTEL ST PETRI, first hotels) so I took my camera when we left the room
At breakfast at the hotel I recognized a familiar figure with a hat. Yes, Leonard and 4-5 others having breakfast. I didn´t want to disturb them but when they were leaving I went to Leonard, shaked his hand and said Thanks for everything. My girlfriend took 2 photos and then I took 2 photos of her and Leonard. I told Leonard "Don´t steal her away from me, she´s my girlfriend...." He grinned! I then asked for an autograph which he kindly wrote. At 11 AM they all went on a pretty regular bus and took off to the next show.
My next stop - Gothenburg fri 31 (3rd row...)
He had his hat on while eating?

Cool story, thanx for sharing.
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

A "Blowing away" - Concert - From the Soundcheck (first alone, just Leonard and his Guitar for over 85 Min., then with the Band for another 60 Min. at least. And: at our Place, we could see the Rehearsel, direct in Front of the Stage, about 200 M away!!).
And then: entering the Area.
At exactly 19.30 the Show starts, as well as the Rain... but not for a long Time.
Very good, new Arrangements; the "Old Ideas" Songs are perfect for a live Concert. Love it.
It is more "intense" then the 2008 - 2010 - Concerts...
Hard to discribe; just different. In my opp: you can't compare, but I like it even more then before....
I love "Different Sides"! And the new Arrangement of "Democracy". And "I can't forget" is great, as well as "Light as a Breeze".
And the Drifters "Save the Last Dance* fits in perfectly....
And Mr. Cohen was obviously having a lot of Fun during the Show!
I hope, that it will be, as he said on the Stage in Kopenhagen: "Well, you ain't heard nothing yet"....(in between "Tower of Song)...
Love it, every Second of the Concert. Even the Marihuana-smell can't change that....

Can't hardly wait until Berlin and Verona....
One Dissap.: the Souvenir-Shops just takes Credit-Cards or Danish Krones.
And I asking especially before the Concert, if you can pay with Euros... No Problem, they say. They will take even Swiss Franks, they say...
Well, the Merchendising - Shops obviously havn't heard this Statement. A shame. They really don't sell me the Ring! We left the Cards especially in the Safe, because of the risk...they told us so.
"If you have Euros, you can buy anything with it in Danmark"... maybe, but not in the Mechendising - Business!
I am now hoping, that in Berlin or Verona will be some Ring, waiting to get buyed from me.
I know, the Euro is in a Crisis... but this is a little bit exaggerated.

Can't see and hear never enough Leonard Cohen - Concerts!

Susanne + Uwe, Switzerland

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”