Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Paul Zagreb

Re: Dino not in the band

Postby Paul Zagreb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:55 pm

tomsakic wrote:... Leonard Cohen never had a backing band and that is the fact. ... Please feel free to check all Leonard's live backing bands at
Full marks for consistency Tom :roll: , though I largely agree with what you say! The idea that Dino should have learnt to be humble after 246 shows is a bit harsh in my humble :D opinion. He brought something to the mix which not everyone liked. I did like it but also like (equally or more - not sure) the new line up and what that brings. And for sure what matters is what Leonard thinks and not us! I think you are being over judgemental, though, not least since, as I understand it, Dino was very much part of rehearsals for the new tour at least for a while!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
mirka

how to behave on stage humble enough ?

Postby mirka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:35 am

tomsakic wrote:This whole thread has become too funny and all that Dino stuff was funny already in 2008 when he couldn't behave on stage and 246 shows was not enough for him to learn how to be humble - quite contrary.
And we do not pay to see "Dino Soldo Show as some old guy sings behind".
[...]
." That is what all professionals know and that's what all Leonard Cohen's collaborators do say and know how to say. They do not say "I was asked to leave".
again: wow !
This thread is getting even more intriguing :D
In what way in your opinion Tom, was Dino's behavior not appropriate for Leonard Cohen's stage act ?

I remember admiring at the Halifax concert in 2008 Leonard's genius of vision and his courage: by hiring musicians of his children age he instantly won new young audience, people who maybe heard of Leonard Cohen from their parents and thought of him as "some old boring guy". Suddenly it turned out Leonard is neither old nor boring, has fantastic sense of humour and modern arrangement, and can adapt his act to XXI century.
The concerts could never become "Dino Soldo show" for a simple reason: it has always been about Leonard's music, every musician played/sang it the way they felt it.
Dino's interpretation was exuberant and extroverted, and IMHO perfectly balanced minimalistic and introverted approach of the Master.

If Dino really said 'I was asked to leave', and if this is what happened, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It's LC's tour, his vision and his choice of musicians, they in turn have the right to speak their minds.
Leonard Cohen's poetry and music is timeless, and will always be regardless of who said what.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
mirka

Re: Dino not in the band

Postby mirka » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:40 am

gaby&paul wrote:Thank you, Mirka. I deeply agree with that.
Paul
And I'm waiting for your report from the Paris concert, Paul.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
FatherDougal

Re: Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Postby FatherDougal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Friends, fellow Cohenites,

I don't have your knowledge of all things Cohen.

However, for me, the Leonard Norman Cohen purchase etc,
be that a show ticket, or a CD, or vinyl, or print etc is more than just
the main man - it is the whole experience - the sounds ( of all the band,
the audience, the build up, the sound check, or description of same,
this forum, the weather, the sky, living, breathing ).

Controversy can be good as it generates more comments, and equally it can
be evil, when it gives the impression of being dogmatic or even dictatorial.....

Dino, wherever you may be, your sounds will last forever.....

Bob M, God speed....

Mr Cohen, Ireland awaits.....
Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again.
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:10 pm

FatherDougal wrote:Friends, fellow Cohenites,

I don't have your knowledge of all things Cohen.

However, for me, the Leonard Norman Cohen purchase etc,

Controversy can be good as it generates more comments, and equally it can
be evil, when it gives the impression of being dogmatic or even dictatorial.....

Dino, wherever you may be, your sounds will last forever.....

Bob M, God speed....

Mr Cohen, Ireland awaits.....
Well said, FatherDougal. Well said ...
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:46 pm

FatherDougal wrote:However, for me, the Leonard Norman Cohen purchase etc,
Touche
James T wrote:I Mr. Cohen can do as he pleases, he is in charge of this ship.
Another touche
tomsakic wrote:Leonard Cohen is one of the world's leading singer-songwriters and every young and talented musician as Dino Soldo can be only excited and honored to be taught by the master. But even Leonard Cohen has his right to do his own musical choices. He has that right more than others.
and yet another

There are soooo many well thought out positions on this thread, not necessarily in this realm, but well thought out nonetheless.

Kindest regards to all,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
mirka

Postby mirka » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 am

MaryB wrote: Touche
Another touche
and yet another
Kindest regards to all,
Mary
Are we playing some kind of game here ?
I always thought Forum is about exchanging opinions, it turns out some use it to keep the score :?: :shock:
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 am

Mirka,

I'm not keeping score, merely appreciating the arguments these forum members made to prove their position. If you noticed, I said that I thought many forum members had well thought out posts to support their positions - you included.

Since I have not been to any concerts on this part of the tour, I cannnot say where I stand without actually seeing a concert, but these arguments have all been thought provoking.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:04 pm

''The dogs bark and the caravan moves on.' Proverb.
TipperaryAnn

Postby TipperaryAnn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Tony wrote:''The dogs bark and the caravan moves on.' Proverb.
True, Tony, and we are becoming increasingly aware of what a well-oiled business machine the caravan is!

I agree with you Mary about all the interesting posts here and if we are into picking favourites I particularly liked Cohenadmirer's quiet reflections while gardening. Like you I have yet to hear the 2012 concert but am interested in the opinions of those who have.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
BobCrabtree

Postby BobCrabtree » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 am

(Say hello to the newbie, "Hello newbie!")

Have to say that I loved Saturday's concert at Wembley enormously but I did miss Dino's playing very much indeed.

The violinist (who seemed to play the parts that Nino would have otherwise done - well, in some cases, at least) was wonderful but the sound was not what I'm conditioned to hearing.

Please don't ask how many times I've watched Live in London but Nino's playing on that DVD is a huge part of the emotional mix, so the mix last night felt a little wrong (to me, at least).

There's something about the saxophone - I know Nino plays lots of other stuff, too - that makes the hairs on the back of my neck go all funny (Paul Simon's saxophonist did the same for me in a concert in Wembley many years ago).

Off to bed now and will take solace from the Live in London performance that will be putting me to sleep.

Oh, and as an irrelevant aside, I was able to alert a good friend to the fact that the tour takes in the south of France (where he'll happen to be at the time), so he was able to book tickets - which will be nice for him and his lady - they missed out when the Paris concert on the last tour got cancelled.

Be very keen to hear if others felt the same way as me about Nino's absence - though I wouldn't want anyone to think for a moment that the show should be missed because Nino's not there.

Wondering, too, when a DVD of the current tour will be released - I'd like to be able to let it have a chance of sort of winning me over.

Best to all

Bob Crabtree
Last edited by BobCrabtree on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osmachar

Postby osmachar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:27 pm

I don't understand the problems here - the concerts with the 'instruments of wind' were great but so was the concert I saw on Sat with the violin.

Some songs sound a bit different and have a different arrangement but I it makes it a bit more interesting.

If you want to have the exact same sound everytime you can listen to the CDs and don't need to go to a live concert.
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:14 pm

Superb, the three "lads" on the right Mitch, Alex and Javier were like the old days (for lack of a better phrase) and Vicomtesse and I thought that it was a lot better "Sans Dino". Everything about the night at Wembley shouted equality, from left to right from the Webb Sisters through to Javier Mas, it was just so very balanced, almost one could say, total perfection.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2017 and fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
BobCrabtree

Postby BobCrabtree » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm

osmachar wrote:I don't understand the problems here - the concerts with the 'instruments of wind' were great but so was the concert I saw on Sat with the violin.

Some songs sound a bit different and have a different arrangement but I it makes it a bit more interesting.

If you want to have the exact same sound everytime you can listen to the CDs and don't need to go to a live concert.
No, there is no problem at all, with me anyway.

However, I can't help how my mind has been conditioned by watching the Live In London 2008 DVD repeatedly.

So I am very keen to get hold of the DVD of the Old Ideas Tour - when one does finally arrive (as surely it must), so I have a chance to recondition my mind!

Cheers

Bob
danslenoir

Postby danslenoir » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

As much as I enjoyed Dino's playing, having caught the last tour 4 times meant a change in personnel and sound was most welcome.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”