Dino Soldo not in the tour band

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Robin Orfe

Re: Dino on facebook: no tour for him this time

Post by Robin Orfe »

I guess my problem is that I don't like "surprises". I WANT what I'm used to hearing. Not some other "versions". I'm simply unhappy about all of this.

I'd LOVE to know WHY this information was "sat on". We should have been told sooner than this. Just my feeling and my opinion.

Robin
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Robin Orfe wrote:I guess my problem is that I don't like "surprises". I WANT what I'm used to hearing. Not some other "versions". I'm simply unhappy about all of this.

I'd LOVE to know WHY this information was "sat on". We should have been told sooner than this. Just my feeling and my opinion.

Robin
No disrespect intended, because you are obviously upset about this. But, really, Leonard Cohen has performed concerts for over 40 years, and for each tour, the band sounded a little bit different, sometimes a lot different (and, on the studio recordings, things sounded different again). As a result, there is no single "version" of Leonard's songs, but many, and I am intrigued and excited about this new direction, whatever it may be.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Dino will be missed, & I wish him well with all my heart.

I also find the prospect of a new & different sound very interesting & exciting, & I eagerly look forward to hearing it! I love good surprises, & I have no doubt that this will be a good one.
Robin Orfe

Post by Robin Orfe »

I hope I'm not posting this twice. I tried it earlier and it didn't come up.

Anyhow, I think the way I'm feeling is a BIG part of simply being SHOCKED by this news. I have heard (over my 41 years of being a Leonard Cohen fan) lots of versions of his songs, and all of them were lovely.

I will be seeing Leonard in Boston on December 15th. This will be the FIRST time for me. I have been upset that I won't get to see Bob Metzger (he is so fabulous). And now this???? I'm wondering why we were not told earlier.

I realize with Bob Metzger it's a health issue, and I wish him well.

To suddenly "scrap" Dino Soldo is shocking to me.

I do know, however, that I WILL love the concert. I just hope there won't be any more "surprises".

Robin
B4real

Post by B4real »

Dino did bring a unique expressive sound to Leonard's music. I wish him well in his future musical career where ever it may lead him.

But in my heart, I feel that what was old is now new again.....back to the source....

EDIT: Robin, Seeing that you have been listening to Leonard for such a long time, I don't think you will be surprised. See the above line :)
....and I don't think it was a sudden decision; I think it naturally evolved over a period of time during rehearsals.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

I think Dino was fantastic on the 2008-2010 tour. I really wish him the very best for the future and with his talent he will always be a success in anything he does.

However I am really excited to hear how this new band of players will sound. I think it was a very good move to make such a change. It will be fresh and different and with so many videos viewed on youtube etc. there was a possibility of the concerts being a little repetitive. There are lots of concerts to come, hooray! :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GraceC

Post by GraceC »

Bob, now Dino. Can't help but wonder, "Who next?" Oh well, still looking forward to Austin, 3rd row.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

regensburg

Dino on facebook: no tour for him this time

Post by regensburg »

New is good sometimes, but old is better. I am really sorry that Dino is not there any more. I wish him well, he will be missed by all. Hope all will be good.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Just thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion it should not have been a surprise that Dino wasn't included in this tour. We are forgetting it is in fact an Old Ideas tour and Dino's official imput on the CD was limited to one song "Banjo". It would then follow that to keep true to the overall flavour of Old Ideas those musical instruments which were prominent on the CD would be used on the OI tour. It definitely would explain the re-introduction of the violin. :)

None of us can see into the future but if Leonard wished to have another World Tour, Dino could certainly be there again.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

From Leonard:

"Dino is a dear friend, a great player, a full-fledged member of the band, on full salary, but now in a stand-by position.  I miss his company.  This is not the moment to unfold the complexities of his absence. We shall, no doubt, hook up again somewhere down the road.  G-d willing, we hope to still be able to deliver an acceptable concert.

Sincerely,

L. Cohen"
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

LC-UnifiedHeart3.jpg
LC-UnifiedHeart3.jpg (4.2 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Robin Orfe

Re: Dino not in the band

Post by Robin Orfe »

I thought it was Dino Soldo playing the harmonica in "Lullaby". Maybe I'm wrong? I hadn't realized his only contribution was for "Banjo".

Jarkko, thank you very much for putting up the post of what Leonard said. I appreciated it very much.

-Robin-
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

jarkko wrote:From Leonard:

"Dino is a dear friend, a great player, a full-fledged member of the band, on full salary, but now in a stand-by position.  I miss his company.  This is not the moment to unfold the complexities of his absence. We shall, no doubt, hook up again somewhere down the road.  G-d willing, we hope to still be able to deliver an acceptable concert.

Sincerely,

L. Cohen"
"an acceptable concert" - such humble words! The past concerts were perfection, as I'm sure the new ones will be, though in a new way it seems. Dino was always a highlight of every concert for me - such unmatched joy, musicality and energy. I think this news is difficult for many of us, because the UHTC became more than the music, they seemed to become a family we enjoyed from afar. When we see change without knowing why, we worry, as is natural. But, as witnesses to little but the music, it's our place to trust the process and Leonard and simply enjoy what's given to us. As I've written on facebook, Dino's talent and commitment have made him an accomplished artist in many areas. I'm sure whatever path he chooses will be filled with ever greater measures of success and fulfillment. He will be missed. Best wishes to all.
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Anne

Re: Dino not in the band

Post by Anne »

Thank you for adding Leonard's contribution to the discussion, Jarkko. It answers some questions.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”