Julie Felix - Leonard Tribute London 6th February

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
John Etherington

Julie Felix - Leonard Tribute London 6th February

Post by John Etherington »

At "Alternatives", St James Church Piccadilly

https://www.alternatives.org.uk/event/l ... ie-felix-0
John Etherington

Re: Julie Felix - Leonard Tribute London 6th February

So who's going? I've bought my ticket.
John Etherington

300 tickets sold, and new guests being added. Be there, or you may regret it!
Last edited by John Etherington on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It's being billed as a "talk" by Julie Felix. The blurb says: "We will also be inviting the audience to share their reflections of the influence Leonard's music had on their lives and favourite tracks." I looked in to it but decided I couldn't justify the time and the c. £40 it would cost be in train fares to travel down to London for some recollections, a discussion and a song or two. So unless you have a lot more detail than has been made public on Julie's and the venue's websites John ....

Wendy
John Etherington

Julie will be singing the songs of Leonard that she has recorded, as well as the song that she wrote for Marianne. She will be talking about meeting Leonard in the Sixties, and meeting him again at Manchester in 2007, when I brought her to his art exhibition. Felicity Buirski will be singing a song that she wrote for Leonard, and a male singer will also be singing one of Leonard's songs. I will be talking briefly about the work that I did on Leonard's astrology chart (which he gave me permission to publish) and there should also be a few other well-known faces present.
John Etherington

Thanks go to Malcolm Stern for organizing this wonderful "Alternatives" evening at the beautiful St. James Church in Piccadilly. To set the scene, "You Want it Darker" was played in the background, before and after the performances. The evening opened with Nick Fry performing a competent version of "One of Us Cannot Be Wrong". This was followed by Julie Felix singing the songs of Leonard's that she's recorded, namely "Bird on A Wire" and "Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye, plus the moving song that she wrote for her friend Marianne after her separation with Leonard, "Beside the Still Fjord". Julie also related some of her memories of her friendship with Leonard in the Sixties, and mentioned me taking her to Leonard's art exhibition in Manchester in 2007. I've known Julie since I studied astrology with her in the Eighties, so she gave me a ten minute slot to talk about some of the basic factors in Leonard's birth chart. The other main guest of the evening was my friend Felicity Buirski, who performed the song "Come To Me Darling" (also known as "Lover of Your Life") which she wrote for Leonard and featured on her first album (1988). To round off the evening, Julie got the audience to sing along to "Hallelujah", then concluded with one of her own songs "We Wish You Light, We Wish You Love" (kicking one leg high into the air, at the end, as she often does!). Charley and Hattie Webb were present as guests, but did not perform a song on this occasion. Since I was sitting next to them, however, I had the advantage of hearing Hattie sing along with Julie's final song! After the performances, the audience were able to socialize and chat with the performers. Vegetarian food was also served. It was great to chat with familiar faces and old friends, including Jim Devlin who had come to London for the event. In conclusion; a fine tribute to Leonard.
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

It was a wonderful evening, I enjoyed it so much, very special, interesting and beautiful. What a lovely venue too. And your review sums it all up perfectly, John, thank you.

The Alternatives website says podcasts are available of events some weeks later, and emailed to everyone who bought a ticket.
John Etherington

Thank you, Janet! I'm glad that you were pleased with it.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Would have loved to attend this tribute if I lived closer. You are lucky to have had this to go to.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Rock Chick

Post by Rock Chick »

Thank you for the wonderful review, John. I would definitely have gone along to this had I known about it. Sounds like it was a really special evening. xxx
John Etherington

Thank you, Rock Chick! Sorry to hear that you didn't know about this. xx
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

John,

As always, you have provided with a wonderfully detailed report of the event. Sounds like it was a really special evening. Thank you!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
John Etherington

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your kind words (to use a Leonard phrase).

All good wishes, John E

Return to “Related Artists”