Sharon in Copenhagen

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
Joe Way

Sharon in Copenhagen

Post by Joe Way »

Anne & I just returned from Sharon's concert at the Bremen Teater. We're a little like drowned rats from walking in the sometimes heavy rain.

The concert was wonderful. Sharon started off with "In My Secret Life," which was very well received. She did "Caffeine" from her own album and followed it with "A Thousand Kisses Deep." She did some great songs of her own that I need to get. And ended her first set with a tour de force version of Tom Waits "Down in the Hole." The version was rich from multi-layers that Sharon created starting with a rhythmic track that she established and followed by some harmonies that she recorded on the spot-to bring them all together when she sang the lead vocals. It brought down the house.

The 2nd set included a terrific version of her collaboration with Leonard, "Summertime." Also "Boogie Street" and a number of her own compositions including one called, "Driftwood" that we really liked. She performed the "The Letters" which she did for us in Amsterdam. I thought this version was tighter and again it was a version that she layed down tracks live to include as background as she sang the lead. I've always loved that song and it had convinced me that it is much neglected in the Cohen canon.

She sang "Alexandra Leaving." We first heard her sing it in a very intimate setting in The Cactus Cafe in Austin, I didn't think I could ever hear it again so beautifully done, but this was. She ended with "Everybody Knows" and it was great. She came back with a beautiful encore before saying good night.

The Danish audience is subdued. The theater was about 80 percent full-so about 400 people by my guess. Only the man next to Anne jumped up for a standing ovation along with us.

We talked with Reinhard and Gabrielle and their daughter after the concert (at least I think that was who they are)-I'll be very embarrassed if I got this wrong as we saw them on Hydra last year. We really enjoyed the concert and envy those of you who will see Sharon again on this tour. I have to mention how courageous Sharon is to be making this tour on her own, now in such a tender state of mind after losing her husband, the closest person in her life. We've always loved and admired her. We do so even more now.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
musicmania

Re: Sharon in Copenhagen

Post by musicmania »

Great review, Joe. Thank you for sharing.
I will be seeing Sharon on Saturday, in Dublin, and I am very much looking forward to it.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you, Joe.
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Brilliant review, Joe, thank you, I am looking forward to seeing her this time next week in Manchester.

Return to “Related Artists”