Discohen

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
KenKurzweil

Discohen

Post by KenKurzweil »

Leonard has had his music interpreted in virtually every imaginable style. This has got to be a first. A group dedicated to playing classic disco songs in the style of Leonard Cohen. You can get a taste of their music at;

http://discohen.com/music/

They say;
"DISCOHEN: disco classics the way Leonard Cohen would perform them. Relaxed and sexy... but never corny.
Disco songs are mostly about dancing or the physicality of love. DISCOHEN doesn’t sing about dancing. Leonard Cohen once said: To find a door into the song, that’s a very worthwhile challenge’. This is exactly what DISCOHEN does: seeing supposedly superficial disco hits through the eyes of someone who celebrated life and love. Who better than the Canadian bard himself?
Their debut album Popular Positions contains reworkings of songs by disco divas like Donna Summer, Anita Ward and Divine, but also interpretations of artists who, back in the day, experimented with the disco genre: Kiss, The Rolling Stones or Rod Steward. DISCOHEN singer Teije Venema: ‘We see it as a musical tribute. Both to Leonard Cohen and to these beautiful songs’. Apart from typical style elements borrowed from Cohen – the low voice, female backing singers and his Spanish guitar – the record contains musical winks to like-minded artists such as Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Johnny Cash in his American Recording-period.
The idea for DISCOHEN came from producer Pim van de Werken. Together with singer Teije Venema he reworked these disco classics into Cohen-worthy executions.
On stage DISCOHEN performs as a 7 piece band, including a saxophone player and backing singers. After their show on Utrecht festival Le Guess Who, British music blog Drowned in Sound labeled DISCOHEN the ‘band of the day and quite possibly the whole weekend’. Their debut album Popular Positions will be released on May 20th and is celebrated with a release-party on the 28th of May in Kytopia in Utrecht."
Hartmut

Re: Discohen

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks! "Like".
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Hartmut wrote:"Like".
Sorry; I meant to say: It somehow pleases me to hear these songs.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I am speechless. I do not quite know what to make of this. Hommage or parody? It is a fine line, is it not?
Tacklers

Post by Tacklers »

Gosh. Just discovered Discohen. Seems I’m a bit late. Shame. Richard. England East Sussex

Return to “Related Artists”