Hattie in concert

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
jarkko
Site Admin

Hattie in concert

Post by jarkko »

apu.jpg
(Click on the pic for bigger view)
Ticket link: http://www.pizzaexpresslive.com/popBook ... ateId=8677
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John Etherington

Re: Hattie in concert

Post by John Etherington »

Hattie's first major gig with her band was a resounding success, and The Pheasantry in the Kings Road, Chelsea, was a well-chosen venue for the event. The building is set back slightly from the street, and you enter through an open iron gate framed by statues and pillars under a small archway. I believe the building was an old embassy that was at one time owned by Eric Clapton. It's now the home of Pizza Express who have a restaurant upstairs and a music venue downstairs, where food is also served. Upon entering I saw a few friendly faces, including Mum and Dad Webb and brother Brad. I didn't see anyone from the Forum there, but soon after me, Andy Barnes (another loyal Webb follower) arrived and later, another friend, the talented female singer Charlie Dore. The scene was set with a well-placed seat at the front, red wine, and the best Giardiniera pizza I've had in ages.

Hattie looked positively stunning! She had her hair partly tied-up, and a sparkly band round her head. She wore an incredibly short, embossed white dress, black tights and ankle boots. She was joined on stage by two young male musicians. To her right, James McVinnie who had a keyboard on top of his piano, and to her left, percussionist Pedro Segundo who played a drum, congas, and hand "rattlers" and "shakers". Behind Hattie was an ornate glass case on a stand with white candles burning inside. Hattie started-off playing a large harp which apparently was given to her by Leonard, and on some songs used another smaller harp. Her new material is instantly captivating and noticeably different from the music she plays with her sister, Charley.

The opening songs were "Nobody Could", "Newton's Law", and the particularly outstanding "To the Bone". This and some other songs had something of a Tori Amos flavour (coincidentally, Hattie's musicians have connections with Tori), though Hattie's music is also strikingly fresh and original in its own right. This was followed by a cover, a fine interpretation of "The House of the Rising Sun" in which Hattie used the male words "it's been the ruin of many a poor boy, and God, I know I'm one". Next up was "Arithmetic", co-written with Charlie Dore, which includes the line "5 7 9 11...it all came down to dust". After this came "Intimate Conversation" (a new song, rehearsed in a studio in Hackney), "Love A While", and "Natalie"; a beautiful song that a tearful Hattie said she had written for her friend Natalie, who died of cancer two months ago. Hattie said it was a note to enjoy life. I thought the song had a slight element of Joni Mitchell ("Blue" era) about it.

Hattie said that she has recorded half a record of new songs, and will be undertaking a campaign to fund the recording of the remainder of the album. Hattie's last song was called "River" and she was joined (on guitar) by Sam Semple who supported the Webb Sisters at their Royal Albert Hall gig last year. In conclusion, Hattie's new material exceeded all my expectations, and is totally mesmerising and inspiring. I urge people to check out Hattie's future gigs when they can, and give her the support that she so rightly deserves.
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you for the report, John.
HelenD

Post by HelenD »

Yes, thanks John.

I wish I could have been there but I think she has an album coming out soon. From what you say, its should be very good.

Return to “Related Artists”