Dylan concerts: rushing to the stage for the encores?

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
Hartmut

Dylan concerts: rushing to the stage for the encores?

Post by Hartmut »

Has anyone here been to a Bob Dylan concert recently? 'Cause I have a question:

Do Dylan fans usually follow the tradition of rushing to the area in front of the stage during the encores?
HelenD

Re: Dylan concerts: rushing to the stage for the encores?

Post by HelenD »

I saw Dylan in Manchester a couple of years ago and was most disappointed. He stood behind a keyboard with a hat on well back from the front of the stage. He did not address the audience at all. It was difficult to understand his words and I only recognised a couple of the songs he sang. I do not remember anyone approaching the stage or, indeed, any encores at all.
Mark Knopfler, who was the support artist, was brilliant.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I have voiced my disappointment of his Bobness on our last two visits to see the legend. The last time in Paris was how you have just described him, Helen. We had to listen hard to the lyrics to get the song at times, such was the present voice. We go because of who he is and how he was but we have now called it a day and will sit and listen to his numerous track list at home, or in the car. Neil, Bruce, Leonard and several others from "around the same era" are still more than comprehensible in their singing.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Thanks Helen and Vicomte.

I have been disappointed by Dylan concerts in the past as well. But reports from shows earlier this year have been quite good.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Difficult as of course neither of us would have been to witness this "new" voice he appears to have now, which therefore makes me wonder why he sang like he had for several years? His studio produced albums are still very comprehensible, indeed excellent and OK some what "gravelly" but then that is how his younger voice sounded but of course, much less so. And of course many aficionados of Bob wouldn't care if his voice sounded like he was attempting it all underwater.... ;-)
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Not giving up on dylan just yet - have tickets to 4 concerts over 3 weeks starting on October 22nd .
As for stage rushing this used to be common but of late security of all kinds tends to be annoyingly tight.
However this excerpt from a review of a concert in rome , this very june ,describes what tends to happen at the end of concerts .

Security was exceptionally tight throughout the show with strictly no photos or standing allowed, in fact an early attempt to rush the stage during Long And Wasted Years was immediately blocked. The first encore of Blowin' in the Wind, however, saw the entire audience on its feet and a mass rebellion – there was huge a surge towards the stage and a sea of cameras and smartphones suddenly lit up the arena! This was followed by a blistering rendition of Love Sick to close an unforgettable concert.

http://www.livinginrome.net/2015/06/imp ... n-and.html

Vocally - this probably gives a realistic prediction of what to expect , though it always tends to sound better live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x16xLC7H7zg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUinnk0ddo
...Everyone will have their own view ....
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

cohenadmirer wrote:Not giving up on dylan just yet - have tickets to 4 concerts over 3 weeks starting on October 22nd .
That sounds like fun!
cohenadmirer wrote:The first encore of Blowin' in the Wind, however, saw the entire audience on its feet and a mass rebellion
'Mass rebellion' - that brings back memories ...

Thank you also for the video links.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

You are of course correct David in that we will all have our own views on Bob's vocals. This was one of the last times we went to see his Bobness in Paris and it took one of us well over 2 minutes to guess what he was singing. Years ago (several :lol: )the first bar and we were on to it ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftnwVc-vSU

And of course, it was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwgrjjIMXA

:lol: :lol: ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Thanks Vicomte
For me the most fun at dylan concerts is precisely that aspect of trying to get what each song is -only possible when the setlists are varied and unpredictable which they haven't been for the last couple of years :lol:
I love the way he keeps changing the way he does his songs, even though it has to be admitted it doesn't always 'work'
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “Related Artists”