article :Cohen and Dylan in the same year

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
cohenadmirer

article :Cohen and Dylan in the same year

Post by cohenadmirer »

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/09/13 ... same-year/

The gods who inspire such things have graced us with new music from both Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan in the same calendar year.

Cohen’s Old Ideas came out near the start of 2012, and now three-quarters the way through, we have Dylan’s Tempest.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
JudasPriest

Re: article :Cohen and Dylan in the same year

Post by JudasPriest »

Yes indeed, 2 mighty fine albums but for my money Tempest trumps Old Ideas by a distance. That said, Old Ideas is a stately effort with some great stuff but it somehow remains slightly less than the sum of its parts for me. I return to Popular Problems much more than Old Ideas, it seems more free and loose- funkier and cooler all round.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

I have a feeling You Want it Darker will be closer to Tempest than Old Ideas or PP. definitely a whiff of the apocalyptic from the brief reports we've heard so far.
alb123

Post by alb123 »

JudasPriest wrote:Yes indeed, 2 mighty fine albums but for my money Tempest trumps Old Ideas by a distance. That said, Old Ideas is a stately effort with some great stuff but it somehow remains slightly less than the sum of its parts for me. I return to Popular Problems much more than Old Ideas, it seems more free and loose- funkier and cooler all round.
I'm with you. Popular Problems is a great album from start to finish. Old Ideas has some brilliant moments, but as a whole, I don't think it's one of Leonard's finest records. You could easily make an argument for Popular Problems to be listed among the Top 5 albums he's ever recorded.

Of course, all of this stuff is subjective. There are going to be visitors reading this post of mine and shaking their heads say, "You've got it backwards!" or "They both stink/are amazing!" We all have our opinions. :lol: Frankly, I'm not sure if Leonard has ever released an album that stinks, in my personal opinion. Dear Heather doesn't get played much by me, but there are a few moments I really enjoy. Death of a Ladies Man is probably my least favorite L.C. album. That's a shame because that's got to be one of the best album titles ever! :) :D
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)

Return to “OLD IDEAS”