article in Tablet magazine

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
barbarita

article in Tablet magazine

Post by barbarita »

MaryB

Re: article in Tablet magazine

Post by MaryB »

You're right barbarita, it is an excellent article! Most of my LC info comes from the LC files and this forum and I have never read such a detailed account of the IOW concert. It is amazing. And, Liel Leibovitz is writing a book about LC?
If this article is any indication of the quality of his upcoming book, it will be amazing!

Thank you so very much for this link!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

Absolutely wonderful article, thanks so much for posting.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm just blown away by this article and look forward to the book, too. I've never read or heard such a detailed and evocative account of the Isle of Wight concert. Amazing! So easy to imagine Leonard doing all of this so effectively.

Thanks SO MUCH for posting this barbarita!!!

"Quite the good" is understatement at its best!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

MaryB wrote:You're right barbarita, it is an excellent article! Most of my LC info comes from the LC files and this forum and I have never read such a detailed account of the IOW concert. It is amazing. And, Liel Leibovitz is writing a book about LC?
If this article is any indication of the quality of his upcoming book, it will be amazing!
Thank you so very much for this link!
Best regards,
Mary
Available in May - the book is listed for pre-order at Amazon - here ---> http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Hallelujah ... nard+cohen
A Broken Hallelujah: Rock and Roll, Redemption, and the Life of Leonard Cohen Hardcover
by Liel Leibovitz (Author)

Brings to life a passionate poet-turned-musician and what compels him and his work.
Why is it that Leonard Cohen receives the sort of reverence we reserve for a precious few living artists? Why are his songs, three or four decades after their original release, suddenly gracing the charts, blockbuster movie sound tracks, and television singing competitions? And why is it that while most of his contemporaries are either long dead or engaged in uninspired nostalgia tours, Cohen is at the peak of his powers and popularity?

These are the questions at the heart of A Broken Hallelujah, a meditation on the singer, his music, and the ideas and beliefs at its core. Granted extraordinary access to Cohen’s personal papers, Liel Leibovitz examines the intricacies of the man whose performing career began with a crippling bout of stage fright, yet who, only a few years later, tamed a rowdy crowd on the Isle of Wight, preventing further violence; the artist who had gone from a successful world tour and a movie star girlfriend to a long residency in a remote Zen retreat; and the rare spiritual seeker for whom the principles of traditional Judaism, the tenets of Zen Buddhism, and the iconography of Christianity all align. The portrait that emerges is that of an artist attuned to notions of justice, lust, longing, loneliness, and redemption, and possessing the sort of voice and vision commonly reserved only for the prophets.

More than just an account of Cohen’s life, A Broken Hallelujah is an intimate look at the artist that is as emotionally astute as it is philosophically observant. Delving into the sources and meaning of Cohen’s work, Leibovitz beautifully illuminates what Cohen is telling us and why we listen so intensely.
10 illustrations
sereneava

Post by sereneava »

Thank you barbarita and Sturgess66. I loved the article and look forward to the book.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

This link is much appreciated - thanks so very much, Linda!!!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “OLD IDEAS”