"Win a flight to Paris to meet Leonard"

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
majmunka

Re: "Win a flight to Paris to meet Leonard"

Postby majmunka » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 pm

For those who tried their luck:
A new message appeared at the top of the Rolling Stone Magazin article.
"DAS GEWINNSPIEL IST BEENDET! DIE GEWINNERIN / DER GEWINNER WERDEN VON UNS ZEITNAH KONTAKTIERT. WIR BEDANKEN UNS BEI ALLEN TEILNEHMENDEN UND WERDEN WIE ANGEKÜNDIGT IN DEN NÄCHSTEN TAGEN EIN BEST OF DER EINGESENDETEN BEITRÄGE PRÄSENTIEREN."

According to Google Translate (and my guesses), it means "The contest is over! The winner will be contacted soon. Thanks for all the participants, the best contributions will be posted in the next few days."

Eva
(who haven't been contacted - yet or at all...)
drsing

Postby drsing » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm

majmunka wrote: Eva
(who haven't been contacted - yet or at all...)
And the winning item is..... a beer mat together with a nice story :!: :!:

http://www.rollingstone.de/magazin/feat ... cohen.html

"In den letzten Wochen erreichten uns zahlreiche Zuschriften und "Bewerbungen" für unser großes Leonard Cohen-Gewinnspiel. Seine Fans schickten uns Coverversionen, Babyfotos von ihren Söhnen namens Leonard, sogar der Bastelsatz für eine Cohen-Anziehpuppe erreichte uns. Es war nicht leicht, aus all den Zuschriften einen einzigen Gewinner bzw. eine Gewinnern herauszusuchen. Schließlich entschieden wir uns für den Beitrag von Peter Spranger, der uns auf anrührende Weise in seinem Brief von einer Begegnung mit Leonard Cohen auf der griechischen Insel Hydra erzählte."

by Google translate:
In recent weeks we have received numerous letters and "applications" for our big Leonard Cohen-game. His fans sent us covers, baby pictures of their sons with the name of Leonard, even the DIY kit for a Cohen-doll. It was not easy to pick out all the letters a winner. Finally we decided on the contribution of Peter Spranger, who told us a touching manner in his letter about an encounter with Leonard Cohen on the Greek island of Hydra.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
majmunka

Postby majmunka » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

You might call me a sore loser, fellow fans. I know I shouldn't feel so devastated over something like this but I do. I was prepared to lose to a mindblowing contribution, actually, I was quite looking forward to see the winner entry. But this story is (albeit really nice) rather anticlimactic.
My application included:
- the traditional paperdoll version of my LC dressup-game
- the playable (and online) version dress-up flash game
- my "saints bracelet"
- a LC portrait I drew
( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater )
- a copy of my 8 tickets
- a picture of our 10m (30 feet) long farewell banner from Bratislava ( https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater )
Wasn't enough. :(
Eva :cry:
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:46 pm

majmunka wrote: Wasn't enough. :(
Or, maybe, it's simply that your entry was not valid as it came from outside Germany .....

Wendy
majmunka

Postby majmunka » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:
majmunka wrote: Wasn't enough. :(
Or, maybe, it's simply that your entry was not valid as it came from outside Germany .....
Wendy
True, Wendy, but it was still valid enough to be posted on their FB page...
Eva
Winnaar58

Postby Winnaar58 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:47 am

Good morning,
I just heard from a friend on facebook that Peter Spanger is the winner of the contest and he has won the trip to Paris to meet leonard Cohen.
Congratulations Peter.
I wonder if you know if there are more fans to go, because I will be there too. I am invited by Sony Netherlands, just for a one day fly (by train :-))
I asked Sony if there is a possibility if we can go on a picture with Leonard Cohen, if we might have a word with him.
I am sure you, as a winner, will.
But may be we can stand up as fans and make sure all the fans can have a short moment with Leonard, so they can live a very happy life after the event.
I tried to find you on face bok, did not succed.
So may be you will get in touch with me, because we will meet on monday.
I am this old lady with grey hair(and very shy :-)).
Have a wonderful weekend,
Ine Mensink ( https://www.facebook.com/Ine51)
I didn´t kill myself when things went wrong
I didn´t turn to drugs or teaching
I tried to sleep, but when I couldn´t sleep
I learned to write.
I learned to write what might be read
on nights like this by one like me.

(Leonard Cohen)
majmunka

Postby majmunka » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:42 pm

Winnaar58 wrote:Good morning,
I just heard from a friend on facebook that Peter Spanger is the winner of the contest and he has won the trip to Paris to meet leonard Cohen.
Congratulations Peter.
Ine Mensink ( https://www.facebook.com/Ine51)
Silly of me but it didn't occur to me that Peter might read the forum.
In that case: congratulations, Peter. After calming down a bit, I found you story rather touching. You deserve the prize - just as any fan would deserve it. I hope you will enjoy the trip and I wish you a great time with him and his music.

Ine, have a wonderful day and I hope you have a chance for your picture with him.

Eva
Winnaar58

Postby Winnaar58 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Thank you Eva,

I can imagine your dissapointment, everyone can I suppose.
I don't know who Peter is, so I thought may be I can find him here.
I am bloody nervous you see, so I could do with some support on monday.

Bye,
Ine
I learned to write.

(Leonard Cohen)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Can anyone translate the actual article, with what Peter wrote in his touching story?

Ha! Your paper doll idea was perfect, majmunka! If only you lived elsewhere!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
majmunka

Postby majmunka » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks, Lizzy. <3
I'm OK now and can't wait to read Ine's report.
Eva
Winnaar58

Postby Winnaar58 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 am

Don't expect to much from me, but I will do my best to bring you all the news hat comes to my ears.
I take the question for a little translation serious and since I am from Holland, I do understand some Deutsch( not Dutch, that's my owm lamguage :razz: )
What Peter Spranger tells is that he is a fan for over fourty years and of course het has got records, cd's and dvd's. And he has a beer-mat(is this a proper English word :oops: ) signed by leonard Cohen when they sat together and drink a beer in a café on Hydra in 1979. Quite by accident, by the way. it is not that they were friends who had an appointment. They talked about his Suzannen and about Leonard's Suzanne. next day he saw Leonard Cohen passing by and they had a conversation. he claimes that Cohen gave him his adress at that time in New York. Peter Spranger visted concerts but never spoke to leonard again. In 2008 Spranger met his present wife by the concert and they both hoped that there would come a moment that they will meet Cohen again(they asked God to sent 'the old man' :? on tour again so that they can meet. And this is what is going to happen monday the sixteenth, not exactly on tour, but they are going to meet him because of his story.
Well this was some sort of a translation, in Dutch it would have been a lot easier :D
I learned to write.

(Leonard Cohen)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:00 am

Oh, that's just beautiful, Winnaar!! Thank you so much! I understand it completely! [Going by your name... like maybe a derivative of Winner!... I thought you might be Peter :) . I can see why he was chosen, so many elements to his story, both old and new. I'm so happy for the two of them! And, if Leonard gave Peter his address in N.Y., that would say that Peter is someone Leonard can relate to, so this should be a really wonderful meet-up for all of them. Congratulations to Peter and his wife 8) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Postby bridger15 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 am

Susanne Harlacher posted this on Facebook
Lucky me ... just found this on " daylife "
Canadian singer and Poet Leonard Cohen smiles as he poses on January 16. 2012 in Paris ♥ Leonard Cohen's new album " Old Ideas " will be released in France on January 30 .
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Postby sturgess66 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:49 am

There is a series of pictures at Daylife - at the link below - some from Paris - and some from the Prince of Asturius award ceremonies -

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0fQn38o6lw ... nard+cohen

I like this one -
basecamp

Postby basecamp » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 am

Winnaar58 wrote:Don't expect to much from me, but I will do my best to bring you all the news hat comes to my ears.
I take the question for a little translation serious and since I am from Holland, I do understand some Deutsch( not Dutch, that's my owm lamguage :razz: )
What Peter Spranger tells is that he is a fan for over fourty years and of course het has got records, cd's and dvd's. And he has a beer-mat(is this a proper English word :oops: ) signed by leonard Cohen when they sat together and drink a beer in a café on Hydra in 1979. Quite by accident, by the way. it is not that they were friends who had an appointment. They talked about his Suzannen and about Leonard's Suzanne. next day he saw Leonard Cohen passing by and they had a conversation. he claimes that Cohen gave him his adress at that time in New York. Peter Spranger visted concerts but never spoke to leonard again. In 2008 Spranger met his present wife by the concert and they both hoped that there would come a moment that they will meet Cohen again(they asked God to sent 'the old man' :? on tour again so that they can meet. And this is what is going to happen monday the sixteenth, not exactly on tour, but they are going to meet him because of his story.
Well this was some sort of a translation, in Dutch it would have been a lot easier :D
Just for the record here is the whole story:

http://www.rollingstone.de/magazin/feat ... cohen.html
11. Januar 2012

von Peter Spranger

"Please Don't Pass Me By": Eine Begegnung mit Leonard Cohen

Kurz vor Weihnachten starteten wir unser großes Leonard-Cohen-Gewinnspiel. Der Gewinn: eine Reise nach Paris zur Präsentation des neuen Albums "Old Ideas", bei der auch der Künstler anwesend ist. Hier nun der Gewinnerbeitrag: Peter Spranger überzeugte uns mit einem Autogramm und der anrührenden Geschichte dazu.

Privat / Sony

Peter Shttp://www.rollingstone.de/incoming/article130 ... jpgpranger traf Leonard Cohen 1979 auf der kleinen, griechischen Inseln Hydra. Nach einer langen Nacht des Redens und Trinkens signierte Cohen diesen Bierdeckel.

In den letzten Wochen erreichten uns zahlreiche Zuschriften und "Bewerbungen" für unser großes Leonard-Cohen-Gewinnspiel. Seine Fans schickten uns Coverversionen, Babyfotos von ihren Söhnen namens Leonard, sogar der Bastelsatz für eine Cohen-Anziehpuppe erreichte uns. Es war nicht leicht, aus all den Zuschriften einen einzigen Gewinner bzw. eine Gewinnern herauszusuchen. Schließlich entschieden wir uns für den Beitrag von Peter Spranger, der uns auf anrührende Weise in seinem Brief von einer Begegnung mit Leonard Cohen auf der griechischen Insel Hydra erzählte. Herr Spranger wird nun also nach Paris fliegen zum großen Pre-Listening-Event zum Release des neuen Cohen-Albums "Old Ideas". Wie es war, wird er uns im Anschluss selber schreiben. Hier nun der Brief im Original-Wortlaut:

Ich bin seit fast 40 Jahren ein wirklich glühender Fan von Leonard Cohen, besitze natürlich sämtliche Platten, CDs und DVDs von ihm und auch seine Bücher, aber nicht die will ich zu einem Foto drapieren, um Sie für meine Bewerbung zu verwenden.

Vielmehr hänge ich Ihnen ein weitaus einzigartigeres Dokument meiner Beziehung zu L. Cohen an: Einen Scan des Bierdeckels mit seinem Autogramm, den ich 1979 von ihm persönlich auf der Insel Hydra bekommen habe.

1979 hatte ich gerade mein Abitur gemacht und konnte danach im Sommer eine Reise nach Griechenland unternehmen. Während mein Bruder und dessen Freundin, die mich dabei begleiteten, nach Santorin wollten, zog es mich auf die karstige, zumindest damals autofreie, touristenfeindliche unbekannte Insel Hydra, weil ich wusste, dass Cohen dort zumindest zeitweise lebte. Ich hätte nie damit gerechnet, ihm persönlich zu begegnen, das kam nicht einmal in meinen kühnsten Träumen vor. Aber dann passierte folgendes: Ich saß am Hafen, wo ein einheimischer Fischer dabei war, sein Boot zu schrubben. Offenbar hatte er es nicht richtig vertäut, so dass es durch die heftigen Bewegungen dabei etwas vom Ufer abtrieb. Ich zog es wieder an Land und der freundliche Fischer wollte sich bei mir erkenntlich zeigen, er hätte mich gleich zu sich zum Essen eingeladen. Ich fragte ihn auf englisch, was er glücklicherweise verstand, nach Leonard Cohen und er verwies mich auf "Bills Bar", die in den engen Gassen etwas oberhalb des Hafens lag. Dorthin komme Cohen öfter, wenn er auf der Insel weile.

Ich fand die Bar, setzte mich an die Theke und bestellte mir ein Bier und etwas später ein Chicken Sandwich. Während ich das verspeiste, sprang plötzlich der Barkeeper wie von der Tarantel gestochen hinter der Theke hervor, um einen Mann, der sich der Bar näherte, überschwenglich als "Leonardo, Leonardo" willkommen zu heißen. Jener "Leonardo" nahm unmittelbar neben mir auf einem Barhocker an der Theke Platz und lobte zunächst meine Bestellung, dass das Chicken Sandwich das beste wäre, was es hier gäbe. "Are you, are you Le... Leo Leonard Cohen?", brachte ich stotternd hervor. Und so kamen wir ins Gespräch, tranken später Bullshock miteinander (einen fürchterlich starken Drink, der zudem Tomatensaft enthielt, und der auf einer Tafel hinter der Theke als "Drink of the century" gepriesen wurde), und unterhielten uns unter anderem über unsere jeweiligen "Susannen" - seine "Suzanne" und auch meine damalige Freundin hieß Susanne. Ich fragte ihn nach seinen Liedern - insbesondere das unendlich intensive "Please dont pass me by" von den Live Songs, das mich damals ziemlich stark beschäftigte. Wir saßen mehrere Stunden bis in die Nacht hinein in der Bar zusammen und zumindest ich war am Ende auch etwas betrunken - nicht nur vor Glück über diese wundervolle Begegnung. Den Bierdeckel, den ich mir von ihm an diesem Abend unterschreiben ließ, habe ich eingescannt und an diese Mail angehängt. Darauf steht "Peter! all the best Leonard Cohen 1979 Hydra"!

Am nächsten Morgen lag ich mit einem schweren Kopf am Strand - da kam Cohen nochmals mit einem (ganz in weiß gekleideten) Freund dort vorbei, sah mich und kam auf mich zu, um sich nach meinem Befinden zu erkundigen. Ich weiß nicht, wer sein Begleiter war (ein literarischer Agent, ein anderer Autor, ein Plattenmanager oder sowas), jedenfalls ließ er ihn mehrere Minuten stehen, um sich nochmals mit mir über den Vorabend zu unterhalten. Bei dieser Gelegenheit gab er mir auch noch eine Adresse von ihm in New York City, wo er damals auch wohnte.

Ich habe Cohen danach zwar noch mehrere Male in den 80er-Jahren bei Konzerten in München gehört, aber nie mehr persönlich getroffen. Ich hätte seit vielen Jahren auch niemals mehr damit gerechnet, dass ich ihn nochmals live erlebe. Umso überraschter war ich, als ich 2008 von einer neuen Tour las. Ich bekam Karten für seinen Auftritt in Lörrach am 25. Juli 2008! Und dort geschah dann noch etwas schier Unglaubliches: Nicht nur dass es ein absolut wundervolles Konzert war, ich lernte bei diesem Konzert auch die Frau kennen, mit der ich mein weiteres Leben verbringen will und werde. Wir haben seither oft darüber gesprochen, dass Gott den "Alten Mann" noch einmal auf Tóur schicken musste, um uns zusammenzubringen. Gemeinsam waren wir dann auch noch auf seinem Konzert in Hannover.

Ich hoffe, Sie können sich jetzt vorstellen, wie groß mein Wunsch - ja meine Sehnsucht - wäre, Ihren Preis - die Reise zur Album-Präsentation von Leonard Cohen nach Paris - zu gewinnen. Ich wäre der glücklichste Mensch auf Erden, wenn ich ihm nochmals begegnen könnte.

11. Januar 2012

von Peter Spranger
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam

Return to “OLD IDEAS”