Fan Thoughts on "Show Me The Place"

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
overthehill

Re: Fan Thoughts on "Show Me The Place"

Post by overthehill »

There are so many layers in the lyrics to this song!!!! It is a beautiful song, whether a love song or something else. Show me the place, help me roll away the stone reminds me of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus, though LC is Jewish. Absolutely beautiful!
stan

Post by stan »

I would love to go to the place or maybe i have been, from my first cohen album to my last cohen CD, i must have been because i think it is inbetween them, but where ever it is i thank you leonard. stan england
Last edited by stan on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liverpool, Manchester,Leeds.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leonard has been there for me with his words since his first album. His songs let me know I'm not alone, and I have gone to them often to make my pain bearable, my happiness become joy, to divert me from bitterness and confusion, and lead me to understanding and acceptance. Now, in my time of deep personal loss and greatest need, "Show Me The Place" is imbued with Leonard's signature gravitas in his voice and his words, and it feels comforting and good, way down deep, where I most need those feelings to be... and, again, Leonard is there for me.

~ Elizabeth, United States
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
stan

Post by stan »

Thank you, its the same for me but i dont know how to put it down in words, i only know that when im down as i have been in the last 2 years Leonard has been there for me as well, i dont know if its the correct way to say it, but leonard helps me get over things and cheers me up. also listening to all the comments that you guys write{ i think them} but cant write them. thanks LC and thank you all.
Last edited by stan on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
stan

Post by stan »

nwflight wrote:Brought me to tears instantly. The beauty of the song. 59 yr old man , this shouldn't be. Tears and a runny nose. Maybe the memory of good concerts, maybe as we age things we treasure are lost, but here is Leonard warming my soul again.
thanks for that, you sound like me.
stan

Post by stan »

I know im going to get a lot of shouting and yelling at me, every one is talking about {roll away the stone} as being biblical and im not saying its not, but that line is in a mott the hoople song called roll away the stone. :?
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Stan, no one is going to shout and yell at you because you don't hear a biblical theme in this song!
Lyrics mean many different things to different people depending on a lot of things going on in their lives.
But whatever, it's still a beautiful song!!!!
stan

Post by stan »

Thank you and i agree with you and cant wait to hear the rest of the album.
ms.blue

Post by ms.blue »

Hi Stan :D be in touch soon !! [mott the Hoople indeed ;-) ]
SuzanneT

Post by SuzanneT »

Show me another poet who can express his feelings so strongly and emotionally as Leonard Cohen.
Show me another poet and musician who can his feelings express so strongly inwardly, in his words that listeners identify their feelings.
Show me another poet and musician, whose lyrics and music influences not only feelings, but even the lives of his listeners?
I myself, I feel that even this time, Leonard said, for me, what I feel.
It's a amazing, deep song, beautiful voice amplified by unrepeatable.
(Excuse my English is not good).
Zuzana, Czech Republic

Ukažte mi jiného básníka, který dokáže vyjádřit jeho pocity tak silně a emotivně jako Leonard Cohen. Ukažte mi jiného básníka a muzikanta, který dokáže vyjádřit své pocity tak niterně silně, že v jeho slovech poznají posluchači své pocity. Ukažte mi jiného básníka a muzikanta, jehož texty a hudba ovlivňuje nejen pocity, ale doslova životy jeho posluchačů? Já sama mám pocit, že i tentokrát řekl Leonard za mě, co cítím já. Je to úžasná, hluboká píseň, umocněná neopakovatelně krásným hlasem.
What you have now is what you were, and what you will is what you do now...Buddha
Above the graves of those painful sheds tears for the unspoken words and deeds missed...Elizabeth Harriet Beecher Stowe
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

MarieM wrote:"Show Me The Place" is an exquisite example of what Leonard does best, enter the heart and mind, often against our will. I don't ever begin listening to Cohen expecting to be so overthrown. I listen for the musical experience but inevitably I am taken to a place where suffering is acknowledged, explained, forgiven and lessened. "Show Me The Place" does all that.
it's a very personal song, and after having lost a mother, sister, wife and daughter - all within the space of a short time - i feel it has the potential of much support and healing. one is being given something rather special, rather private. it's a beautifully calm song, and also quite powerful, a stepping-stone leading away from loneliness and pain, perhaps to a better understanding of the process of sorrow. it's not just the music and lyrics. the tone of leonard's voice is an exceptional treasure, it has a spiritual quality that offers comfort. he is a singer and songwriter, and he is good at his craft - but he has been blessed with an extra gift that he freely shares. we are so fortunate.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I'm ready for a whole new Leonard Cohen Era and have replaced my old credit cards by some newer, more up to date ones: :-)
Credit cards.jpeg
Looking forward to using them, I guess...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Winnaar58

Post by Winnaar58 »

'Show me the place' raakt me in het diepst van mijn ziel. Verlies van het zelf dat volgt op een totale overgave aan de liefde. Help me, want gevangen in de boeien van de liefde ben ik verworden tot slaaf en het totaal aan overzicht kwijtgeraakt. Ik ben de grip op het leven volledig kwijt, een leven dat ik echter wel wil leven.

'Show me the place'
moves me and touches my soul on the deepest level.
To me it is about loosing control about who you are, being this prisoner of love and becoming not only a slave of love, but also a slave of your own self. Losing touch with life, with reality.So help me, I am out of control but I want to live.

Ine (Nederland)
I didn´t kill myself when things went wrong
I didn´t turn to drugs or teaching
I tried to sleep, but when I couldn´t sleep
I learned to write.
I learned to write what might be read
on nights like this by one like me.

(Leonard Cohen)
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

My little tribute.
Attachments
What??? An Aussie cover already???
What??? An Aussie cover already???
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Greg, this photo makes my day. Seriously.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”