Lithograph of the special edition

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
Kali

Happy Holidays to All Members!

Post by Kali »

Is the lithograph still available with cd? Im having trouble ordering

***CLick here: http://www.myplaydirect.com/leonard-cohen/ / Jarkko***
peter danielsen

Re: Lithograph of the special edition

Post by peter danielsen »

I think you're right oblivion
Cohen uses that reference also in The Gypsy's Wife:

"But whose head is this she's dancing with on the threshing floor"

Now it seems the dancing is over, and the women are bored with lifeless head of a man
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
PressToPlay

Post by PressToPlay »

Did Mr. Cohen actually sign these litographs???
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

No, in this case his signature was printed. This was a free promotional item to support the album.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

jarkko wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:30 pm No, in this case his signature was printed. This was a free promotional item to support the album.
Very definitely not "free" Jarkko!! Those of us who bought it paid a pretty substantial premium for the litho package version of the CD. I think I paid something like £45 for the CD + litho. The price was certainly substantial enough to generate a £20 charge to get it through UK customs.

Wendy
WhoIsCalling

Post by WhoIsCalling »

Different viewers = different interpretations....

I take this 'old face' in the picture to be the stand-in for himself as thinker/viewer looking at / staring at / contemplating a photo. (as per title)

The exact photo he was looking at was NOT reproduced as the naked woman in the image in the litho but rather he was simply looking at an "old photo", (as per title) and yes, he was looking at a picture of a woman. It may or may not have been a woman with whom he had a lasting relationship. It could have been Janis Joplin for all I know or care. It does not matter. "Who it is" was not (imho) intended to matter to the person who buys the print. It is none of my business.

The drawing in the litho is actually where his mind roams, as he casts his memory back to a sexy sultry moment or time with the woman in the photograph. That is to say the drawing in the litho is the indelible image his mind calls up after looking at the "old photograph" (as per title)

For me..... The aged face tells himself longingly "I'm so old now, and that was so long ago, and ya know, wow, those were great times and now... well... it makes me wistful and kind of sad yet ... omg I treasure the fine intimate memories of her and me".
His recollected image of her is depicted as the "thought bubble" erupting from the head in the litho.

There is something to be said for the eyes in the face that seem to stare without focus, telling the viewer that the head is lost in thought.

I do not think this necessarily conflicts with holydove above in talking about half of you was light etc.

Lucky me, I have #0556!

Return to “OLD IDEAS”