OLD IDEAS - THE PRESS RELEASE

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
John Etherington

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE PRESS RELEASE

Post by John Etherington »

Yes, the album is certainly something to look forward to, and a good reason not to act out "Dress Rehearsal Rag" over the Christmas holidays!
phillip

Post by phillip »

John Etherington wrote:Yes, the album is certainly something to look forward to, and a good reason not to act out "Dress Rehearsal Rag" over the Christmas holidays!
nothing wrong with that song either Leonard is the greatest bigger than Elvis in my opinion he can do no wrong :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

Thanks Jarkko for giving us all this information. I've been already listening to the advanced download.
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 30 years. I used to dance on dance me to the end of love with my children when they were baby's and today I dance with my three grand-daughters.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

Thanks for posting this, John. Few things have given me a stronger (and, no doubt, childlike) sense of anticipation! Good for the soul!

All the best
Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
themucaro

Post by themucaro »

Any idea what the coupon code is when ordering the album? Getting the limited vinyl edition and it's a little steep :D
2008: Benicassim, Spain
2009: Dublin, Ireland and Madrid, Spain
2010: Grenoble, France and Tours, France
2012: Dublin x 2
Kali

Post by Kali »

just got email from 'sony; regarding press release of cd and lithograph collectors package. Basically new cd end of jan plus amazing print 12 x12 and only 5,000 copies. 45 euro! this is by sony! litohograph so beutifull plus get free track for download now ' show me the place. partner bought for my birthday. so with all the doom and gloom here in ireland something lovely to hear and frame in the new year. Thanks Leonard. x
Roy

Post by Roy »

Nice to read that Patrick Leonard is one of the producers on this album. He's most notably known as one of Madonna's producers and writers. He also worked on Peter Cetera's 1988 album, One More Story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Leonard

LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

themucaro wrote:Any idea what the coupon code is when ordering the album? Getting the limited vinyl edition and it's a little steep :D
Wondering the same thing here.
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

CRITICS RAVE ABOUT "SHOW ME THE PLACE"
"Show Me The Place," the first song to be heard off Leonard Cohen's upcoming album, Old Ideas, has been getting rave reviews worldwide! Take a look at what critics have to say:

"Show Me The Place"...is absolutely gorgeous... It makes me want to hear Old Ideas very, very badly. -- Stereogum

On the scale of thrills, this is off the charts. A new single by Leonard Cohen,... It's just beautiful. Yes, a simple song and a sad song...but beautiful. Personally, it makes me really, really want to hear the rest of the album. -- CBC Radio 2

"Show Me The Place"... is a nuanced, understated piece that bodes well for a contemplative new record. -- GQ (UK)

"Show Me the Place" makes it apparent that the Canadian song-poet's game is still as sharp as ever, as he rumbles out his reverie over simple piano and organ accompaniment. -- MTV

All rise: The church of Leonard Cohen is back in session. The piano progression that introduces the Fedora Man's new single feels holy... "Show Me the Place" is a restrained spiritual... It touches on themes of love, god and mortality - no doubt the type of tried-and true allusions to be found within Cohen's forthcoming album. -- Toronto Globe and Mail

Leonard Cohen records the kind of music that can stop you dead in your tracks. Case in point: his uber-tender, heartstrings-pulling new single, "Show Me the Place,"... And from the sound of "Show Me the Place," Cohen's kind of fooling himself with the title of Old Ideas because this song is just, well, great. -- Prefix Magazine

Those expecting music in the vein of the big band setup of his recent world-conquering tour might be surprised by this subtle track, led by piano and quiet strings, with the ever present backing singers adding texture to Cohen's rich, fragile, magical voice. -- The Quietus

If that voice doesn't break your heart, you don't have one. -- Rabbit Hole Urban Music (Australia)

"Show Me The Place" is streaming now on LeonardCohen.com or pre-order Old Ideas today on CD, digital download, and 180 gram LP and receive "Show Me The Place" as an instant download. Fans also have the opportunity to purchase a collector's bundle featuring the album and a limited edition lithograph of Leonard's artwork. Lithographs are digitally signed, numbered and limited to 5500 copies.

Pre-order Old Ideas today on LeonardCohen.com.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
phillip

Post by phillip »

Like all Leonard Cohen's Albums this is another masterpiece :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Winnaar58

Post by Winnaar58 »

It's official, I recieved trainticket and invitation. I feel so relieved :-)
And I still keep my fingers crossed for Maarten Massa!
Attachments
13-1-2012 15-56-49.jpg
I didn´t kill myself when things went wrong
I didn´t turn to drugs or teaching
I tried to sleep, but when I couldn´t sleep
I learned to write.
I learned to write what might be read
on nights like this by one like me.

(Leonard Cohen)
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Thanks Ine, but I'm afraid I won't make it to Paris unless somebody on here with the right connections reads this post and puts my name on the guestlist :-) (and let's me know about it!)

Like I said on FaceBook: I was surprised to learn that nobody (not even Jarkko!?) from the forum was invited so I tried convincing Sony Belgium to let me go, but seats are very restricted and I don't think Sony Belgium even knows about the existance of our beloved forum... :-( But Ine is going to be an excellent represantative for the whole fan community (both forum and non forum) and I'm looking forward to reading/hearing her story!

All the best,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

This listening event in Paris is for PRESS ONLY. I don't think SONY intended for any fans to be invited as it isn't a meet and greet or a fan event.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
andrea

Post by andrea »

Hi, I do not know if this is the right place to put this info, anyway take this link

http://www.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-c ... -28508999/

this interview with Leonard, it is in italians national newspaper La Repubblica today saturday, 21.01.12 maybe con google translator you get the translation

This parts (questions) is about his future:

Ora che ha riscoperto la vita on the road ci sarà un nuovo tour?
"Vede, per conservare questa voce devo fumare moltissimo. Cosa che ho fatto ininterrottamente da quando ho lasciato il mio rifugio zen (nel 1999). Ho quasi 78 anni, potrebbe essere pericoloso. Però se smetto rischio di diventare un soprano".
Google translation:
Now that you have rediscovered the life on the road will there be a new tour?
"You see, I have to smoke to keep this entry a lot. What I have done continuously since I left my Zen retreat (in 1999). I'm almost 78 years, could be dangerous. But if I stop the risk of becoming a soprano."

Another question: (to seethe complete interview look at the link)

Che ha in mente per il futuro?
"Le rispondo con i versi di Darkness: 'Non ho futuro / So che ho i giorni contati / Il presente non è così piacevole / Solo tante cose da fare / Pensavo che il passato mi sarebbe bastato / Ma l'oscurità ha inghiottito anche quello'".
from google translation:
What do you have in mind for the future?
"I answer with the verses of Darkness: 'I have no future / I know I counted the days / This is not so nice / Only so many things to do / I thought that the past would have been enough / But the darkness has swallowed that too '".

we know his lyric of darkness are:
I’ve got no future baby
I know my days are few
I’ve got no future though
As I say I know my days are few
Is the present not that pleasant (?)
Just a lot of things to do

*what are the original words of the last two passes (in blue) ?

I am really curious about the future plans....whatever they are, knowing Leonard is well is the most important thing...

Ciao
Andrea
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich

Return to “OLD IDEAS”