SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
B4real

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby B4real » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 am

burningviolin wrote:it's low in the register and has a lovely warm sound
......You know that's how I like my violin to sound ;-)
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 am

Leonard's voice and these words and music have been playing in my mind and heart all day long. Just listened again. Incredible.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
brightnow

Re: SHOW ME THE PLACE

Postby brightnow » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 am

burningviolin wrote:...I have to admit though I did think it was a cello :oops: it's low in the register and has a lovely warm sound :D
Yeah, me too. How sure are we that it is a violin? Maybe a viola?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
dreamermusic

Postby dreamermusic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi again!
I'm pasting the whole translation of the song as requested by some Spanish members of the forum.

SHOW ME THE PLACE
Show me the place where you want your slave to go / Muéstrame el lugar al que deseas que se dirija tu esclavo
Show me the place I’ve forgotten I don’t know / muéstrame el lugar que he olvidado, que no conozco
Show me the place for my head is bending low /muéstrame el lugar, ya que mi cabeza está haciendote una reverencia
Show me the place where you want your slave to go / Muéstrame el lugar al que deseas que se dirija tu esclavo
Show me the place help me roll away the stone / muéstrame el lugar, ayúdame a mover la piedra
Show me the place I can’t move this thing alone / muéstrame el lugar, no puedo moverla yo solo.
Show me the place where the Word became a man /muéstrame el lugar donde el Verbo se hizo carne
Show me the place where the suffering began / muéstrame el lugar en el que comenzó el sufriniento
-------------------- ------------------------------
The troubles came I saved what I could save / Llegaron los problemas y salvé lo que pude salvar:
A thread of light a particle a wave /un hilo de luz, una partícula, una onda
But there were chains so I hastened to behave / pero había cadenas, así que me apresuré a comportarme
There were chains so I loved you like a slave /había cadenas así que te amé como un esclavo
----------------------- --------------------------------
Show me the place where you want your slave to go /Muéstrame el lugar al que deseas que se dirija tu esclavo
Show me the place I’ve forgotten I don’t know /muéstrame el lugar que he olvidado, que no conozco
Show me the place place for my head is bent and low /muéstrame el lugar, ya que mi cabeza está haciendote una reverencia
Show me the place where you want your slave to go /Muéstrame el lugar al que deseas que se dirija tu esclavo
-------------------------------
The troubles came I saved what I could save /Llegaron los problemas y salvé lo que pude salvar:
A thread of light a particle a wave /un hilo de luz, una partícula, una onda
But there were chains so I hastened to behave / pero había cadenas, así que me apresuré a comportarme
There were chains so I loved you like a slave /había cadenas así que te amé como un esclavo
----------------------
Show me the place / Muéstrame el lugar
Show me the place / Muéstrame el lugar
Show me the place /Muéstrame el lugar
-------------------------------
Show me the place help me roll away the stone /muéstrame el lugar, ayúdame a mover la piedra
Show me the place I can’t move this thing alone /muéstrame el lugar, no puedo moverla yo solo
Show me the place where the Word became a man /muéstrame el lugar donde el Verbo se hizo carne
Show me the place where the suffering began /muéstrame el lugar en el que comenzó el sufrimiento
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
Florian

Postby Florian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Mr. JB Newman is a fast working Guy.
He has the first Coverversion up on Y-Tube ( without Violin/Viola/Cello... ;-) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHVIHtUkJA8
somewhat_nifty

Postby somewhat_nifty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 pm

brightnow wrote:
burningviolin wrote:...I have to admit though I did think it was a cello :oops: it's low in the register and has a lovely warm sound :D
Yeah, me too. How sure are we that it is a violin? Maybe a viola?
Well Jarkko said it was a violin played by Bela Santelli. Maybe they've tweaked it somehow in production? It does sound low...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
BEATRIZ SALLES

Postby BEATRIZ SALLES » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Gracias Dreamermusic!
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
dreamermusic

Postby dreamermusic » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 pm

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:Gracias Dreamermusic!
You're welcome. A pleasure./De nada! Un placer :D
-Madrid 1993 (standing up face to face to Leonard, leaning my arms upon the stage (no cams, no security line), my hands touched Cohen's feet!) (talked to Cohen for 20 minutes after concert!!!)
-Lisbon 2009 (1st row!!)
-Madrid 2012 (1st row centred facing Leonard!!)
-FOREVER
B4real

Postby B4real » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:48 pm

somewhat_nifty wrote:Well Jarkko said it was a violin played by Bela Santelli. Maybe they've tweaked it somehow in production? It does sound low...
It possibly could have viola strings instead of the regular violin ones - that could bring it down up to 5 tones - though it's not a normal practice to do - may as well use a viola :)
Be for real. Free yourself to find the real Self ~~ Me
Happiness is like learning the violin, the more you practice it the more it comes to you ~~ Me
Without the heart, there can be no understanding between the hand and the mind ~~ Gore Vidal
remote1

Postby remote1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 pm

IMHO, the solo in the middle could be played by a violin (I've just tried), but as far as I can tell there are notes at the beginning of the song which are too low for a violin. :D
"We are so lightly here"
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Listening again this morning.
A comment on Rolling Stone says "Sacred brilliance." I love that comment.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I can't say if Bela Santelli is playing a violin or viola, but he is anyway credited as the violin player on this and two more songs (Going Home & Come Healing)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
JudasPriest

SHOW ME THE PLACE (free streaming of new song)

Postby JudasPriest » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Any word Jarkko on whether the sound problems on the track (the unnatural jumps in instrument volume when LC's vocal comes in and out, particularly at the song's conclusion) will be sorted out by the time of it's official release? Could it be confined to the mp3 version? It definitely interferes with the track's enjoyment and needs addressing
Citizen_Kane

Postby Citizen_Kane » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:01 pm

tomsakic wrote:http://www.LeonardCohen.com is now http://www.LeonardCohen.com/us/OldIdeas and it plays the song for free directly when you go there as free streaming... So nobody needs to buy the album in advance as we thought the whole morning.
I thought the press release said the song would be streaming from the official website.
peter danielsen wrote:So who will find the chords to this great tune?
I'll apply myself to that task!
2008: Manchester, Brussels (2), Rotterdam - 2009: Lisboa - 2010: Lille, Dortmund - 2012: Ghent (3), Amsterdam (2) - 2013: Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam!
Steve Wilcox

Postby Steve Wilcox » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:50 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”