SONGS AND COVER OF OLD IDEAS

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
John Etherington

Re: SONGS AND COVER OF OLD IDEAS

Post by John Etherington »

I've just noticed that the cover of "Old Ideas" has certain similarities to the back cover of Eric Andersen's "The Cologne Concert" album (2010). This shows Eric sitting in a garden (or park) with greenery behind him on a sunny day. He is wearing a dark-brimmed hat, shades, a grey casual jacket and a vivid red neckscarf. He has his hands held together in front of him, and is sitting to the left of the photo. Unlike Leonard, his head is raised. The main colours in the picture are grey/black, green and red.

All good things, John E
Roy

Post by Roy »

Darkness, Banjo and Different Sides are my favorite tracks. There is something that sounds familiar about Banjo, especially the line "Don't know how it got there." Did anyone catch what the inspiration was for Banjo? I'm still going over it in my head. Different Sides sounds so 80s! :lol:
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
Roy

Post by Roy »

Don't know how it got there

Maybe it's...

Going to the chapel and we're
Going to get married
Going to the chapel of love
BBrave

Post by BBrave »

Yes!!!!

I love Leonard Cohen covers. Getting to hear his music under new lights is so great, especially when it comes to such a fascinating songwriter like Cohen. I now wait for the next installments to this "Old Ideas with New Friends" campaign. Seeing these newer acts come together and recognize Cohen's greatness is so cool. Greg Dulli, Cold War Kids (love them), Cults (also love them) - all the renditions are interesting. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/fe ... body-knows. And there's gonna be more of 'em coming our way! :D
Anthony AY

Post by Anthony AY »

"Banjo" is a very remarkable gospel song. Heavenly sounds indeed. It´s old and new at the same time and the tune reminds me slightly of "Sweet chariot" and the words ... dear people, what can I say. Our humble and beloved Mr. Cohen is heading towards his eighties - in full vigour (may his voice never falter),but nethertheless close to the end of the road now. And the lyrics of this song refer to that fact of life.

Each and every song is touching and wonderful and has it´s unique qualities. And the melodies and tunes from Patrick Leonard are absolutly fitting to the lyrics from Leonard Cohen, especially "Show me the place". Same applies for "Crazy to love you", where the music is from Anjani Thomas (the guitar is stunnig), which is next to "Going home", "Banjo", "Lullaby", "Different sides", "Darkness" and "Show me the place", my favorite track. The outstanding song is for sure "Amen", not only beacuse for once I get instrumental solo parts almost in abundance.

I strongly urge you people to tell Leonard (and Sony) that "Different sides" does have all the qualities of a true hit.
hadley

Post by hadley »

Roy

I don't know what you mean by inspiration, and you may already know this, but Banjo was apparantly inspired by Hurricane Katrina. The music is very similar to My Oh My, which may be why it seems so familiar?
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Anthony AY wrote:I strongly urge you people to tell Leonard (and Sony) that "Different sides" does have all the qualities of a true hit.
I thought so too. That song definitely has that 'hook' which make many singles into hits.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Elizabeelzebubeth

Post by Elizabeelzebubeth »

An interesting thing I noticed about the cover is that the red part in the lower right hand corner (the shadow-of-the-shadow) is shaped like a heart, tipped sideways.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Go to Starbucks quickly!! :D

Starbucks is selling a different version of Old Ideas. It's the same cover and same songs, but there is no jewel case. Just a two-fold cardboard!
Roy

Post by Roy »

Maybe it's only in Canada.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Roy wrote:Starbucks is selling a different version of Old Ideas. It's the same cover and same songs, but there is no jewel case. Just a two-fold cardboard!
The same packaging (no jewel case) was on the CD I saw in a Starbucks in Hawaii. I did not buy it, because I already have four copies (don't ask!).
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hi scocoh,

It was on Kauai, in the Poipu shopping centre, 5 days ago (sadly, I am back in cold and snowy Edmonton now. But, what a lovely vacation I had, with all the chickens!).

Cheers,
Lisa
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatherDougal

Post by FatherDougal »

jarkko wrote:That's right - his assistant Kezban Özcan shot the photo, and only later he decided to use it on the cover.
I understand that photo was taken with Leonard's iPhone as he relaxed in rear garden of his duplex.
Well, Ted, as I said last time, it won't happen again.

Return to “OLD IDEAS”