Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
lizzytysh

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by lizzytysh »

Well done, yopietro, well done 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

jarkko wrote:Leonard's comment about the "missing" songs:
The other new songs, such as Born in Chains, will be on the next album, G-d willing
"The next album" refers here to a subsequent album after Old Ideas!
We have to be patient, as follow-up to Dear Heather was mentioned to be released in 2005 or 2006, and Dear Heather originally conceived as quick album of sketches and "Old Ideas" ... :)

Both Sharon and Anjani said in their interviews that there were many other songs in progress, both for Ten New Songs and Dear Heather (whose songs were chosen among 20 tracks), and Blue Alert had songs for two CDs. So I am not surprised that all new songs are too new and half-finished for Leonard, even Born in Chains started in 1985 8)
Q: We have heard that the songs for Dear Heather were selected from some 20 new tracks. Was there an overall theme you were trying to achieve? Will we ever hear the rest of the songs?

Anjani: A few songs weren't finished in time for this project but they will probably be on the next record. Sometimes critics have complained it sounds like the music is tacked on to a lyric without much thought or care. This couldn't be further from the truth. Every track is given due time and consideration; if it doesn't make the grade it isn't released. It's no secret that for Leonard, writing is a long and arduous endeavor. Do they really think he would give up on a hard won lyric when it came time to arrange it?

Source: http://www.webheights.net/dearheather/anjani.html
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

jarkko wrote:Leonard confirms that his new studio album is finished.
The title will be "Old Ideas". All songs are brand new except
"Darkness", the only song from the recent concert tour.
The album will be released in Spring 2012, but the
exact date has not yet been fixed.
There are no decisions about a new tour.
Jarkko
Wonderful news. Expected, yes, but wonderful nonetheless.

Disappointed about Born In Chains-- really wanted to hear how he'd do that for an album-- but have to agree with A & W that the song as it was performed was meant as a spotlight for the women. That was one reason I was so looking forward to hearing how he would do it on the album. (Still have wonderful versions to listen to again and again thanks to Dave).

But anyway-- WOW! all new songs except "Darkness"!!! So so excited. (Of course, I'd be excited if he was releasing an album consisting entirely of 13 different versions of "Tonight Will Be Fine".)
Can't wait for further news, and of course hoping for news of any sort of tour.

Hope you are all well, friends. I was up at Sifa's on the North Shore the other day and he was asking me if there was any news about the album-- I'll call and tell him.

And--------HAPPY BIRTHDAY JARKKO!!!--- I see you released this news on your birthday.

(Now, HOW did I remember that?!?! Let's just say we can buy each other a drink on that day some year).
holydove

Post by holydove »

scocoh wrote: So so excited. (Of course, I'd be excited if he was releasing an album consisting entirely of 13 different versions of "Tonight Will Be Fine".)
I'm totally with you on that, Scocoh! I've been planning to make several CD/DVD compilations, each one consisting solely of multiple versions of Bird On The Wire.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Great ideas, Scott and Rachel. I have been thinking about making a compilation of his patter, those golden moments of LC speaking at concerts. Remember in the early World Tour concerts after "Whither Thou Goest", his blessings at the outro? And his powerful words at the Ramat Gan, Israel concert? His beautiful comments in Barcelona and Sligo? His story about guns and his horse in Nashville? His observation about unmagical Las Vegas.
And more. All I need is time...

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mutti

Post by mutti »

Oh Arlene that is a fantastic idea!
That is a wonderful project and I look forward to that.
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Yes, Arlene.....a most welcome initiative....a decent intention...a live memory...... bring it on!

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

bridger15 wrote:Great ideas, Scott and Rachel. I have been thinking about making a compilation of his patter, those golden moments of LC speaking at concerts. Remember in the early World Tour concerts after "Whither Thou Goest", his blessings at the outro? And his powerful words at the Ramat Gan, Israel concert? His beautiful comments in Barcelona and Sligo? His story about guns and his horse in Nashville? His observation about unmagical Las Vegas.
And more. All I need is time...

---Arlene
Looking for the 'like' button...... :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You can begin taking orders now, Arlene, though I can tell you this will be priceless.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thanks everyone, I have enjoyed your enthusiasm and support for my idea of compiling LC patter.
I have a lot of work to do, as a first step, to start gathering potential clips...just need to clear a block of time to begin the project.
Perhaps we should continue the topic of everybody's compilation ideas in the "Collectors..." section?

So now, let's bring this thread back to its original topic, THE NEW ALBUM. :D

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

Yes, new Waits and new Cohen does make for a fantastic end of year/start of next for music lovers.

I, too, am curious as to whether or not this album (or perhaps the next next album) was recorded with full band.
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

Hi everyone

I went through several pages of music with us. On one website I found this offer:

LEONARD COHEN
ALL-TIME BEST GREATEST
Publisher: Columbia
Release Date: 26-08-11
Media: CD
Price: € 9.87

Neither the dealer could not tell me what is a CD. Do you know about this one?

On another page of the printed newspaper,I found this :

News message:
Of legendary musician Leonard Cohen the spring issue new studio album,songs such as : Born In Chains,A Street, Darkness, Love, Lullaby and Feel So Good.
Mentions that it has come to spring 2012. :D
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The track list of All Time Best is at http://Www.leonardcohenfiles.com/alltimebest.html

Just another compilation from various albums.

---The track list of Old ideas in Leonka's newspaper is not correct.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Thanks Jarkko!
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
astranger

Post by astranger »

Any indications as to when we will know the tracklist/release date?
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12

Return to “OLD IDEAS”