Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
jarkko
Site Admin

Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Post by jarkko »

Leonard confirms that his new studio album is finished.
The title will be "Old Ideas". All songs are brand new except
"Darkness", the only song from the recent concert tour.
The album will be released in Spring 2012, but the
exact date has not yet been fixed.
There are no decisions about a new tour.
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by Karren B »

Love the title...Lets hope there's a tour to follow!

Karren B
xx
'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Awesome news (about the album!). Thanks for keeping us updated, Jarkko.

(Does this mean no Born in Chains, no Feels so Good, no Lullaby?)
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Thanks for the update, Jarkko! Great news! Can't wait!
Glad that "Darkness" made it to the new album! My favourite new song from the last tour!
Last edited by basecamp on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

Yes - great news! Pity about "Born in Chains" though..... that has become one of my new favorites. Maybe he's saving it for the next album, hey?

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
Henning

Post by Henning »

Is that Leonard's birthday present for you ?
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

Although I am very happy about the confirmation of the album title and the release date, I am rather disappointed (ok, this is an understatement, I am rather shocked) that "Born in chains" won't be on the album. :(
I mean, it is one of the best songs he has EVER written. Jarkko, do you know anything about why he won't include the song on the album? And does "all songs are brand new" mean, that their titles haven't ever been mentioned before (unlike, for example, "Amen")...Yes, questions... :?:

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

But I thought the title "old ideas" once was Cohens name for the album later named Dear Heather
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Thanks for the update, Jarkko. I'm another completely surprised by the exclusion of "Born in Chains", however, it IS Leonard's album and the new material may even surpass it. Will be interesting to see how the title "Old Ideas" fits in with the new songs.

Diana
holydove

Post by holydove »

Wow!! This is so exciting!! Thank you so much for posting the great news, Jarkko!!

It is surprising that the other 3 new songs which Leonard did on tour won't be on the album, but also very intriguing that all but one will be songs we've never heard before!! And I had the same thought as Joy: that perhaps the other 3 songs will be on the next album!! Anyway, as long as Leonard Cohen is singing, life is very good!!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

It is wonderful to have some positive news on the album at long last. Thanks for the update Jarkko.

To be honest, I'm not surprised that most of the new songs we got to know over 2009-10 will not make the final album. I imagine Leonard had a pretty large pool of material for the album by the end of the recording process. Not all songs can make the final cut and it then becomes a question of which songs go together best to make the album Leonard wants to create. I guess he has made his decision. Personally, the song I will miss most is Lullaby. I never got to hear it live and when Leonard told me in Sweden about a year ago that he had recorded a totally different version of it I was looking forward to hearing that on the album but never mind - there will be even more new songs to look forward to next Spring!

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

I just want to know what "Love" is all about. ;-) :razz:
.......and I wonder if it is one of the new songs on Old Ideas!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I, too, am excited by the fact that all (but one) of the songs on Leonard's new album will be brand new (despite my inital surprise at the omission of the other "new" tour songs)! The more new songs, the merrier! It's almost more exciting this way! We can still listen to all the live recordings of those other great songs that we've come to know and love, plus we'll have a whole album of new material, so we have the best of both worlds! Leonard is spoiling us! (Thank you, Mr. Cohen!)
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

LisaLCFan wrote:I, too, am excited by the fact that all (but one) of the songs on Leonard's new album will be brand new (despite my inital surprise at the omission of the other "new" tour songs)! The more new songs, the merrier! It's almost more exciting this way! We can still listen to all the live recordings of those other great songs that we've come to know and love, plus we'll have a whole album of new material, so we have the best of both worlds! Leonard is spoiling us! (Thank you, Mr. Cohen!)
Exactly my thoughts Lisa. While it would have been nice to have these songs on an official record we have the many videos and fan recordings of these songs to listen whenever we choose. Liking the fact it means even more new songs to look forward to :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Thanks for the update, Jarkko!

Darkness is my favourite of the three "new" songs that I was privileged to hear on the World Tour.
So, I am especially delighted this song is included in the new album.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com

Return to “OLD IDEAS”