February Update

The Madison Event - before and after
Joe Way

February Update

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Friends,

It is the beginning of February and we have 77 people now registered for the event. We have sufficient funds to put together a very nice program for those who will be able to attend. One of the new highlights is that I am working on securing historic Music Hall as the venue for Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Music Hall has spectacular acoustics and is the 5th oldest building on the University of Wisconsin campus. We have also made arrangements for the Music Professor who is the University, "Carilloneur" to play some Leonard Cohen songs on the historic Carillon Bell tower that is one of the campus landmarks. It is most likely the first time that Leonard's music will have been performed on a Carillon. I continue to work with some excellent local musicians and Ali Hughes has told me that it is very likely that she will be able to attend and perform "Leonard Cohen Koans" which was very highly reviewed in its off Broadway debut last September. I've heard a recording of it and it is terrific.

It appears that our numbers will be a little lower than we had hoped, but I fully expect that more people will register as time goes on. This does mean that our gathering will be a little more intimate, but just as fun and just as special. We are still working with some other musicians and we hope to have some surprises, but I am very confident that the programs will be excellent.

For the last couple of events, our friend, Andrew Darbyshire coordinated the "Open Microphone" sessions. Andrew, it appears will not be able to attend. I'm hoping that someone will volunteer to fill this role. Please contact me if you are willing to do this. I am also very open to suggestions, so please feel free to email me. If you sent a check and I don't have your email address, please contact me at jbway9333@gmail.com. We will continue to work hard and put together an excellent event. We'll have more updates in the near future as we start to plan the pre-event in Chicago etc.

All good things,

Joe & Anne
Last edited by Joe Way on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Mirek

Re: February Update

Post by Mirek »

Joe Way wrote:We have also made arrangements for the Music Professor who is the University, "Carilloneur" to play some Leonard Cohen songs on the historic Carillon Bell tower that is one of the campus landmarks. It is most likely the first time that Leonard's music will have been performed on a Carillon.
WOW! This sounds spectatular. I hope you'll record it for those who are not able to attend. Cohen on carillon... amazing.
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Joe Way wrote:We have also made arrangements for the Music Professor who is the University, "Carilloneur" to play some Leonard Cohen songs on the historic Carillon Bell tower that is one of the campus landmarks. It is most likely the first time that Leonard's music will have been performed on a Carillon
Nope. On July 1, 2010, Hallelujah was played on the Carillon of the Peace Tower in Ottawa, Canada's capital.
July 1 is "Canada Day"
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21894
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Nope. On July 1, 2010, Hallelujah was played on the Carillon of the Peace Tower in Ottawa, Canada's capital.
Ok, then it will be the first time that "Anthem" will be played on the Carillon. :)

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
trish

Post by trish »

Joe Way wrote:Dear Friends,

It is the beginning of February and we have 77 people now registered for the event. We have sufficient funds to put together a very nice program for those who will be able to attend.
Hi Joe and Anne

Glad to hear this. I think people are going to be slower to sign up this sign of the pond as we're all waiting for an improvement in the darned euro. Good to see that 'the show will go on' and a great show it looks to be too :-) Well done on coming up with this lovely programme and I hope I can make what looks to be a great event.

Trish

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”