The Event Dates confirmed: August 2-5, 2012

The Madison Event - before and after
Misty Marie

Re: The Event Dates confirmed: August 2-5, 2012

Post by Misty Marie »

Joe Way wrote: I have to disagree strongly with Misty Marie. Anne & I have spent many weekends in Chicago and felt very safe. Our daughter Katie and her husband along with their little baby travel to downtown Chicago on a regular basis with no fear. They live in the Chicago area. Obviously there is always a need to take reasonable precautions where ever one travels in the world, but Chicago is certainly no more dangerous than any major European or American large city. I certainly hope that this won't discourage anyone from this excursion. Chicago is an amazing city and the sights that it has to offer are incredible.

Joe
That's OK, Joe, feel free to disagree! (I'm probably the wrong person to be involved in this discussion anyway.) I guess once one has been a crime victim and seen criminal activity firsthand in a given place it changes their perspective somewhat. I agree with you that those who choose to tour Chicago should do so. Only based on my experiences there, I have no desire to ever return.

MM
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

@Joe & Anne

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Madison Event based on the Google stats counter on my Leonard Cohen Scrapbook.

The Madison Event post with the possible Chicago and Taliesin add-ons is number one pageviews for the week.

http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com/2011 ... i-may.html

Someone left a nice comment in Swedish. Here is the Google translation:
Good! Nice Post. very informative tips. This will help many people. Thanks for posting
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you so much for doing this, Arlene-it will be very helpful to people.

And, if you don't mind, I would like to quote from the University of Toronto's "Great Cities" tour that will feature Chicago this year.

"From the fashionable department stores of Michigan Avenue to the world-renowned museums, from the history at Jackson Park to the dazzling modern architecture at Millennium Park, Chicago has something for everyone. Planned excursions include visits to the Art Institute to view its stunning exhibits, Hyde Park to see the University of Chicago's gothic architecture, and a side trip to view the home of President Barack Obama."

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Kush

Post by Kush »

Think the crime issue etc really depends on the neighborhood. I live a couple of hours from Chicago and go there often enough both alone and in company and never once had an issue with it. The downtown Chicago skyline is in my opinion superior to NYC and other cities because there is an aesthetic element to the building designs in harmony with other buildings and the surroundings. The boat tour was quite spectacular.
On one occasion a small group of friends were having dinner at a downtown restaurant and at an advanced hour (close to midnight) the character changed slightly and many of the patrons all appeared to know each other and definitely had a mafia/gangster feel about it. Gold chains, open shirts, sexy women. The night was very dark and thick between them. It was actually pretty exciting we felt we had walked into the set of Godfather or something. Very cool and never felt any danger, they were wrapped up in their own wheelin' dealin'. There is a picture of LC with a beard where he looks exactly the part and he would have fit in perfectly with the group.

p.s. re my comment on neighborhoods I'd say downtown Chicago is no more or less safe than NYC which is pretty safe. Have walked late night to parking lot or hotel etc never had a problem.
Last edited by Kush on Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

It's easy to read and appreciate all the warm fuzzies about any city found in travel guides like Fodor's (here they all are: http://www.fodors.com/world/north-ameri ... 30001.html), but it's important not to go thinking only romantic thoughts about "the big city" like I did when I was in my early 20s and a protected child of suburbia. Also check out this website, which clues you in to both sides of the picture: http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/No ... G-C-1.html

Again, I wouldn't discourage anyone from visiting Chicago; I'm just encouraging you to take normal precautions.
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Maarten wrote:Cohen-Chicago Connection:
Frankie Laine was born in Chicago on March 30, 1913.
:lol:

In response to comments about the city of Chicago, I've been there numerous times (in very recent years), and never had any problems day or night. Of course, one should not be reckless in any place that they visit, but that should go without saying. Chicago is a remarkable city, well worth visiting!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I decided to try some kind of 'objective' search to see what I could find and this was it. Since Chicago doesn't appear in either column of any category, it seems that 'due caution' as used anywhere in the world is warranted, the same as it is anywhere in the world. What I located was "America's Safest (and Most Dangerous) Cities [with Overall of 350 cities, Top and Bottom 25 Cities Overall]" and then broken down as Rankings by Population Group [500,000+ | 100,000 to 499,999 | 75,000 to 99,999 ], and Top and Bottom 25 Metro Areas Overall ~ Chicago never shows up on the lists. Perhaps, Chicago wasn't even considered? If not, why not? I have a friend who goes there, driving/riding with someone, approx. twice a month and loves it.

In 1976, I was waitressing and had just enough money to cover my train ride [round-trip... purchased ahead of time, to ensure my return]; the cost of seeing Leonard two nights in a row in downtown Chicago, I believe it may have been in "The Loop" but know it was a club called the Quiet Knight... and seeing him was very inexpensive I might add; and some extra money for something to drink at the club and food the rest of the time; and not enough money for a hotel. So, I rode the el-trains and subway all night the first night... met a delightful young man and we got off and walked around The Loop amidst the huge buildings. The second night, I rode again [my train leaving the next day] and met two Jewish young men who were friends. One didn't like the idea of me riding all night alone and he had to go home, so suggested he take me to his mother's for the rest of the night. We found a phone, so he could get permission from her first and I could speak with her, as well; he and I both talked with her and he took me to her house, I spent the night in my own room, she gave me breakfast in the morning; and he and she tried to talk me into spending the next night with her, so I could go with him to see Arlo Guthrie the next night. I said no, that I had to get back to my job, and have regretted it ever since. So, my experience many years ago in Chicago was delightful and safe. Not that I'd recommend this to anyone [or myself :lol: ] now, but young and invincible... you know how that can be... even so, the el-trains and subway were very safe. No matter... traveling not alone in a large, strange city is always well advised, no matter where you are. It simply is.

Here's some other info worth consideration:

Why Rank at All?

1. What does "danger" ranking accomplish? Crime is not a contest, and branding an entire city with a single number gives a misimpression of uniformity that makes crime harder to understand. Crime is not randomly distributed. The vast majority of crime takes place in a small subset of places and situations within a city. Most perpetrators know their victims. The non-residents most likely to be surprised or scared away by a crime ranking are also among those least likely to be victims of the crime they fear.

Problems with the Ranking Methodology

2. To compare crime in different cities, CQ Press only adjusts for population. Doing so gives the false impression that population size is the only independent factor that interferes with a valid comparison. In reality, historical, budgetary, and geographical differences (among many others) also determine local crime rates.

3. The rankings depend on a formula that gives equal weight to six categories of crime: murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft. In essence, CQ Press counts murder and shoplifting the same way.

4. The federal Uniform Crime Reporting data used to generate the rankings rely on local police departments to accurately classify and report crime. In cities all over the country, intense performance pressure and high political stakes have at times led some departments to underreport their data, preventing a fair comparison even among single categories of crime in similar cities.

5. By the time the ranking is published, the data are almost a year out of date. The delay could make a city’s standing appear inaccurately high or low. When the 2009 rankings were published in November 2009 using year-end 2008 data, Camden’s crime rate in most categories had decreased dramatically from the previous year, yet Camden’s ranking increased, obscuring recent improvements.

Other Organizations' Warnings Against the Crime Rankings

* The American Society of Criminologists
* The FBI
* The United States Conference of Mayors

I hope everyone will come and enjoy their time in both Madison and Chicago! I trust Joe's judgment on where he'll be taking us and when in The Windy City 8) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

lizzytysh wrote:I hope everyone will come and enjoy their time in both Madison and Chicago! I trust Joe's judgment on where he'll be taking us and when in The Windy City 8) .

~ Lizzy
Just try and stop Jean and myself from attending ! There is potential danger wherever you go . Take Yorkshire for instance you only have to leave your black pudding lying around for two minutes and some cheeky sod will pinch it
Cheers
YL
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

LOLOL ~ And don't get me started on the area where I live, either, YL... the world in general is dangerous almost everywhere, but I wouldn't suggest getting out of it just yet... and now what is black pudding??

It's going to be great to see you and Jean again!

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

lizzytysh wrote:LOLOL ~ And don't get me started on the area where I live, either, YL... the world in general is dangerous almost everywhere, but I wouldn't suggest getting out of it just yet... and now what is black pudding??

It's going to be great to see you and Jean again!

~ Lizzy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/black_pudding

Black pudding is a traditional yorkshire delicacy made from all kinds of things from pigs . It is normally served at breakfast with bacon and eggs as an add on in the same way americans have hash browns . It's lovely but too much of it would be a good way to exit this dangerous world early due to the fat content .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hey Joe and Ann,

Just belatedly seen that the 2012 Madison event dates are confirmed - I remember sitting around with you talking about this great idea of yours in Cracow.

I'm really sad i can't make it to Hydra this year as i will be in Scotland during that week in June 2011, so I am absolutely definitely coming to Lenny Event Madison. Can't wait!!

Where do I sign up??

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Madison 2012”