Users who never or rarely post

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Makera

Post by Makera »

Rachel wrote:Alright Makera, I'll reformulate my confusing words relating to my decision, or not, of calling myself agnostic:
After making some forays into questions relating to the nature of theism, what I read (mostly Kant, Descartes and Leibniz I admit) I reached the conclusion that, whilst arguments for theism are coherent, they are not convincing. Therefore, I decided the term 'agnostic' was applicable to me. This was all preceded by some study of Hinduism and Buddhism, both of which I also found to be fully coherent as systems of belief. For me, this undermined the notion of 'one truth'. So I both decided and didn't decide.
And don't be such an Erbsenzaehler! (pea-counter in German)
Thank you, Rachel, :D . That's why I query and prod - for clarity :wink: . Now I understand you perfectly. Ooh, I love the new word too, "Erbsenzaehler", a 'pea-counter' eh? Is that just German for pedant? That's 8) , I'm happy if I can learn at least one new thing a day, that's a good one.

~Makera
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

Perhaps, we should all stay away from exploring the deep and profound meanings of life and instead concentrate all of our energies on whether or not Leonard should have a face-lift. what say?
Makera

Post by Makera »

Mark B. ~ :lol: :lol:
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hi Ves,

"nauseating peace"? :shock: Good grief, that's a very colourful,even sinister interpetation. I thought it was a more colloquial meaning - just being "sick of" or fed up with a rambling discussion which had maybe run its course.

I hope there will not now be a dissection of my use of "fed" and its association with eating. :roll:

I prefer to keep out of these lengthy discussions for this very reason; so often words and their meanings are taken a different way than was intended by a writer. I've been guilty of this myself, :oops: sometimes and been jumped on.

As another without the benefit of higher education, and the economic need to work, I don't have much time to spare to research lengthy sources on the internet or elsewhere to back up my opinion so I now prefer to take a back seat.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Helven/Tanya ~

I very much appreciated your bringing all the information you did here. I didn't find it at all boring, but rather informative, and instructive as to just how complex the study of Buddhism really is. JM asked a question and you gave him a substantive and entirely appropriate response. If such a situation occurs again, where you are able to do so, I hope you won't hesitate. As Margaret noted, many of us don't have time [or are not inclined] to do the research, but when someone brings it to me in such cogent form, I appreciate it. I suspect JM did, too.

Love,
Elizabeth
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

If I respond to 'someone,' I'll be damned.
If I don't respond I'll be damned.
So I won't do either. :|
Last edited by Byron on Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra

face lift?

Post by Sandra »

I think people that face lift definetely lose an important part of their personality.
tha marks age has left on our face are marks that give a map of our past and the way we have lived...well that is my opinion...
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I respond to Helven. However, in the way she did it, without arrogance, or presumption of others' ignorance, it came across totally differently to me. I respond to Helven affirmatively, and to let her know that I appreciate her bringing merely information to the discussion, in response to a direct question, without any implied value judgements of knowing more than others....simply helpful information for the taking. Thank you.
(you know who you are :wink: )
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Margaret,

I agree. pax nauseum/neauseating peace does have a sinister meaning. We must ask Byron for illumenation!

Byron, What did you mean?

Vesuvius
Byron

Post by Byron »

There is no spoon
There is no posting
There is no peace
Helven

Post by Helven »

Dear Elizabeth, dear Byron,

Thank you! I just thought I really overdid a bit – question was put by one person but everyone had to encounter that terrible list :shock: (little hair-raiser :lol: ).

Yours,
TH
I've finally found myself! But that turned out to be a completely different person.
/contemporary saying/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I gained some real insight into Buddhism through your list, Helven. Thank you.

Many intricacies revealed through it, that emerge into view via the list itself.

Love,
Elizabeth
Makera

Post by Makera »

Lizzy~
Absolutely! I personally find Helven/Tat'jana a wonderfully balanced person, and gain inspiration and confidence from her lovely example. She does not prejudge another's motives, or presume intent - without real knowledge or evidence. :idea:

Love,
Makera
Helven

Post by Helven »

Thank you, Makera/Gennelle! It’s good that I still have some negative features of character – otherwise, I’d become too proud. :wink:

Yours,
TH
I've finally found myself! But that turned out to be a completely different person.
/contemporary saying/
songster

Post by songster »

Kush,

Thanks for the links. This weekend I'm going to try my public library for Kaku's Hyperspace. I would love to see "Brilliant Minds: Secrets of the Cosmos" but I can't get Discovery's Science Channel from my cable company. I of the Vortex looks a little intimidating to me. Maybe later. I have Hawking's A Brief History of Time, but am ashamed to admit it's been gathering dust. It is now on my list for December. Thanks.

Return to “Comments & Questions”