Users who never or rarely post

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paula

Users who never or rarely post

Post by Paula »

I was just wondering why some people either post rarely or never at all. Are some of you just voyeurs or just shy or maybe you think your opinion is worthless.

Believe me your opinion is not worthless no matter how much it differs from the popular vote at the time.

If you are shy post it will help you build your self confidence as others
pick at your views and you stand your ground in defending it.

If you are a voyeur - shame on you. Have an opinion and voice it.

Above all I don't think you should take offence when others disagree with you. It is not a personal attack it is a personal opinion.

I know I am self opinionated I also know I often talk rubbish but at least I know I have been true to myself.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Paula, this thread is a good idea. We need more input from other brains. Please come and speak your minds.
By the way Paula, as to your last sentence, in the words of Meatloaf, "2 out of 3 ain't bad". :wink:
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

It could be that people want to think about things rather than just post straight away (Not a problem I have) and then when they have considered their thoughts they may feel left behind. :?

Again - a large number of posts are relating to poetry of the various members - maybe people don't feel qualified as critics (even armchair ones) and so don't feel able to reply. :roll:

Nevertheless Paula this is a great idea for a thread :wink: I hope it attracts a great deal of comment.

JTS (Dazed & Confused)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Paula, Byron, John the Shorts [how you ever got that name, I'll never know ~ wasn't it Paula who asked about why you weren't able to afford trousers? Perhaps later you'll upgrade to John the Trousers, or explain why your particular locale precludes same], Coco, and now Nan ~

This is a great thread idea, Paula! The person I referred to in my post to Coco was one whom I met on the Sony Discussion Board. That person had remained in the shadows for a very long time, and upon finally being questioned on it, said something to the effect of other people already saying so well what they believed and/or felt, that their input wasn't really necessary. Once that "absurdity" was out of the way, this person's contributions proved to be intelligent, insightful, well-considered, and unique.

Whether it was bringing a different viewpoint, or expressing their own viewpoint in a new way, their contributions have remained both valid and welcomed by all who have responded to them, both there and here...and I've yet to see anyone diminish them in any way. Since that initial conversation, this person has come over to this Forum, and they know who they are. I will not name names. However, I will encourage everyone to have their own say. There are many sections other than the Poetry one. I recall feeling a whole lot uncertain about where/how to start when I first joined the Sony Board; however, I've obviously gotten past that :wink: .

Yes, I remember people who were as you describe yourself, in school, Byron. In meeting them later down the road, they also seemed to be those who have the most to say. I hope no one here undermines the value of their opinion. It's the personal disrespecting of others that creates a problem. I am not flawless in my quest to avoid this, but I certainly try.

I sure hope that all those who have been reading all this time will begin to join in.

~ Elizabeth
linmag

Post by linmag »

What a good idea, Paula, to have a thread where newcomers are specifically encouraged to join in. Coming for the first time to a forum like this must be a bit like joining a large house party, where there are lots of different discussions going on in different rooms. Some of the rooms here are getting a bit noisy at the moment, the virtual sticks and stones flying with abandon. There are probably not many people who would wade into the midst of that sort of thing on a first visit. Let's try to keep this as a quiet place, where people can just come and say 'Hi' and get to know us.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Great idea. Thank you, Paula.
Though we mustn't question the motives of those who quietly watch the discussions for a while, and, to pick up your imagery linmag, escape the virtual sticks and stones flying, we could help them by creating a peaceful corner to get acquainted with those who throw themselves into the arguments with all possible verve (no one is flawless, Elizabeth).
Welcome to all who came and all who are still to come.
Tom
halfCrazy

Post by halfCrazy »

Hi all,
May I start and introduce myself to you?
I discovered this site only a couple of weeks ago and think its just great!

In 1977, when I was 17, Leonard captivated me with his voice, his music and his lyrics. 'Suzanne' was played on the radio, and I loved this song at first listening - of course I felt addressed immediately, as my name is Susanne! :wink:

I'm looking forward to talking with you about LC,

- hCySu
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Welcome, Susanne.
Tom
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Susanne ~

Welcome, and I wish I could have listened to Leonard on the radio.....no such luck where I lived. Still can only very rarely hear him on the public radio station that I have greatest access to.

Yes, Tom, you're right :wink: ....and I think that, that verve [inadvertently and unintentionally] alienated Nan.

Well, goodnite all.....I'm off to bed. Woke up and came to the computer to record [my typing keeping pace with my thoughts better than my writing could ever hope to] a lovely dream I'd just had about Leonard. It's been a long time since that had happened, and I didn't want to trust it till morning. Before leaving, decided to check here first, and now here it is almost 3:00 AM and I need to get up at 5:00.....6:30's looking pretty good about now.

~ Elizabeth

5:20 AM ~ okay, now that I'm up again [didn't say awake :? ], I wanted to add, Susanne, how wonderful it must be to have your name not just be in one of Leonard's songs, but be the song itself, and what a wonderful one. I can barely imagine how definitely it must have spoken to you..."halfCrazy"....as that was the first word I ever heard out of his mouth myself, when my former husband [us already separated at the time] put on the record for me to listen to and that the first song. I remember well the impact of that song, which it still continues to have today. Little did I know then just how long I would remain by that river.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Welcome Suzanne.................
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
John the Shorts

Shwmae Susanne

Suzanne remains one of my favourite songs ever (long may it do so) - I remember, many many years ago, an interview with LC on BBC Radio in which he explained the background of some of his songs and I was amazed to discover that this wasn't about a love affai but rather based on a real person who was a friend of LCs - illusions get destroyed so easily. :oops:

Lizzytysh - I may get round to posting my story one day - but where? :D

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear John ~ I think there's a thread with that specific question, something like How Did You Discover LC. Since Susanne imparted her discovery in the course of her post, I decided to respond in kind. So, at this point, I'd say hunt down that thread, or just feel free to put it here.
~ Lizzytysh
John the Shorts

Lizzytysh the reason for me being known as John the Shorts has nothing whatsoever to do with LC :(

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, OK, John....I'd forgotten about that story when I read your post. I was linking your comment to Susanne's giving her own history of discovering him, and then me giving mine. Your name, per Paula :wink: , yes...now I know what you mean. Hmm....start a thread regarding how we all came by our call names here?
margaret

users who rarely post

Post by margaret »

I am basically just another quiet person who has never had much self confidence. At the extremely rare parties I go to I am usually in a quiet corner just speaking to the person I came with and observing everyone else. It took me a long time reading all the threads for weeks or months before I put my first post in. Very often someone has already said exactly what I felt so it seems pointless to come in just to say "yes, me too"

In recent serious discussion I made some observations which were misinterpreted by some members and I was upset by the personal attack which followed, and my name was even resurected some time later even though I had not posted again. I have been a bit reluctant as a result

Nil carburundum illigitimii

Return to “Comments & Questions”