Leonard Cohen's Parting Words 2012 Old Ideas World Tour . . .

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Jillelongfellow

Leonard Cohen's Parting Words 2012 Old Ideas World Tour . . .

Post by Jillelongfellow »

I've been searching the Internet, to no avail, ever since seeing Leonard Cohen perform during his 2012 Old Ideas World Tour, in Austin, Texas, the night of November 1st, 2012, for his parting words ver batum at the conclusion of his concert.

Specifically in his wishing the audience well, (to paraphrase) he referenced those of us going home to families and those of us whose destiny is solitude, may we find comfort and peace.

I'm hoping he expressed this sentiment enough times that someone out there will either remember it or direct me to where I might find it, or ideally, hear it.

Many, Many Thanks, Jill L.
mary emma

Re: Leonard Cohen's Parting Words 2012 Old Ideas World Tour . . .

Post by mary emma »

Hi Jill,

"May you be surrounded by friends and family, and if this is not your lot, may the blessings find you in your solitude."

Take care,
mary emma
Jillelongfellow

Ah, yes.

Thank you, Mary Emma, for your kindness and generosity in taking the time to reply to my long-burning question . . . such a blessing.

Much Gratitude,

Jill L.
mary emma

Post by mary emma »

Hi Jill,
My pleasure.
I also found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnyH2tF4MaQ, at 2’08 you can actually hear Leonard say it. I guess we all felt less alone after these words which remained in our hearts after the concerts on our way home and which will remain there now that he has gone.
Take care,
Mary Emma
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

My heart always received this blessing with inexpressible gratitude.
It meant so much to me personally.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Jillelongfellow

lizzytysh,

Yes, indeed, as did mine. Very well said.

It was especially ironic and resonnated with me because my friend who was to meet me in Austin to attend Leonard's concert, very sadly was stranded and couldn't leave NYC due to Hurricane Sandy, therefore, I attended solo.

Love hearing that even Leonard's spoken words (aside from his written lyrics), touched another just as they so touched me.

Many thanks for replying. It's lovely to be reminded that there are many, many "us'es" out there in the world. ~ Jill L.

Return to “Comments & Questions”