Athens 2012

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Lazysuit

Athens 2012

Post by Lazysuit »

Hello. I've not been here for a while. Been busy. Took a little break, went to Athens. I climbed the wall into Herodes Odeon. Sat in solitude in the Spaghetti Western heat of a three o clock afternoon. There were riots in town and a strike on so the whole Acropolis area was clear. A few roadies getting ready for the evenings show. Some security protecting the Parthenon, a couple of few groups of tourists like myself who'd either not been frightened of the riot situation or didn't know about it.
Anyway, that was all outside (except the roadies, they were obviously in the odeon area with me). And I sat for almost an hour soaking up the splendour of this aincent place. It was very wonderful.
And I'm wondering, is there anywhere on this forum a discussion about why LC did not perform in Athens this tour? I'm very curious. I can't understand at all why he would not want to play Athens.

So, I'm just putting out a request for some guidance to the correct place at this forum regarding this topic.

I have to say, and I don't want to ruffle feathers, but I didn't miss him at all. It was very special to me, the heat, the solitude, the empty arena. I played some of my favourite Leonard Cohen songs through my mind and I visualised the falling night, the rising lights, the musicians and the man. It was really wonderful and I was left with the ticket money to spend on wine and raki. Athens was amazing.
lizzytysh

Re: Athens 2012

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Lazysuit ~

No answer to your question as to why/why not. Don't know that anyone knows on the why nots, or even on the whys. We only awaited and then got the schedule.

With your vivid imagination, it seems there was no need to miss Leonard because he was there with you; the same as he would be with you had you watched him perform there, and then he continued to live on in your memories after you had. It's a beautiful scene you paint.

Would love to see Leonard perform in Athens, too. It was great seeing him at the Coliseum in Verona... the authenticity of the stage backdrop was beyond compare ;-) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Stamatina

Re: Athens 2012

Post by Stamatina »

Don't get me started on this again.
Oh, wait.. you just did.

To break this story short: this is a big budget tour and all concerts require big venues and sold out expensive tickets.
Due to the financial situation in Greece and also due to the fact that Leonard is well-known here but not as popular as in west Europe, a concert like that couldn't happen here. It would involve a huge financial risk for the local promoters and nobody is willing to take that risk so... hardly any chance.

But don't lose hope anyway.
Lazysuit wrote:Athens was amazing.
It always is.
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."

Return to “Comments & Questions”