World tour or not 2012

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
cpl593h

Re: World tour or not 2012

Post by cpl593h »

lightasabreeze and Vicomte

i understand and partly agree with what you say - yes, I think LC loved the tour as he finally saw the true reach of his music across the world. it was amazingly successful in every way, i am sure.

but...i think he has done that now and is yet older. i just don't think it is going to happen and fear that the frenzy the last tour created has made many of us forget that the majority of recent albums has not been followed by a tour. the norm is not to tour.

of course i would love to see Leonard again. more than any other gig, i still want more of that.

however, my firm view is it ain't happening. if it does i will be there to happily buy you a pint and, with Vicomte as my agent, will be performing the amazing own-head-biting stunt at as many gigs as possible!
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

I agree with cpl593h. I really do not think we will see a World Tour in 2012. Some have said that there may be a smaller tour to promote the new album and that may be so and I would love that. Come to Ireland, Leonard if you are planning to do some concerts. However with Leonard being the perfectionist that he is I know for sure that a lot of rehearsal would be involved before he ever contemplated embarking on a tour big/small and that would apply even if he was able to get the same band together. However, hope springs eternal.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Can I call this interview into the witness box ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGpumEYj ... re=related

Listen to it all of course but especially from around 4 minutes 20 seconds
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I love that entire interview! Maybe Leonard needs to be gently reminded of this particular part ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
holydove

Post by holydove »

Vicomte wrote:Can I call this interview into the witness box ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGpumEYj ... re=related

Listen to it all of course but especially from around 4 minutes 20 seconds

It was really delightful seeing that again - thank you, Vicomte!

Given how incredibly energetic Leonard was during the recent tour, perhaps we needn't be too concerned about the issue of age being an obstacle, esp. when it comes to Leonard doing what he loves. And actually, Leonard will not be 82 for another 5 years; so yes, I would love to see him when he is 82. . . & before he is 82. . .& after he is 82. . .etc., etc.

My father is 91, & he is healthier, more energetic, & more active than many people (including me!) are/were in their 20's or 30's. It's a number, & different people experience age in significantly different ways. Sometimes I wish we lived in a culture that didn't count the years.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Vicomte, thank you for posting this interview with Leonard. I have looked at it again and it is great to hear him in such good form. While he says that he would love to hear himself singing at age 82 I would doubt very much if he envisaged touring in any shape or form but like Holydove I would love to see him signing at age 82 or any age and Holydove I agree with what you say regarding age - I myself am 64 going on 21 - again.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

Vicomte

i recognise the witness in the box. this is not new evidence, as you know. i put it to you that this is entirely circumstantial and has no true bearing on the case in hand. Mr Cohen (or Sir Lenny of Laughter to give him his full title) was speaking of a wish to be singing at 82, not to be traipsing arounds the globe - or even a country or two - with all the shenanigins that entails.

Your Honour, I rest my case.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

My learned friend, I can see your point but Leonard's wish, nay, want, was to sing at 82 and thus his intention should be honoured. I think the jury will no doubt understand, that after a tumultuous tour where millions of people attended, this want would not be to sing in his bath alone but to as many that might wish to watch the event of an 82 year old man singing with his band.

May I remind the jury to what Leonard told Vicomtesse and I in Caen (from my World Tour 2010 Caen post)
"Leonard was of course as charming as ever and a true gentleman. When I asked him if he might think of performing in Barcelona to coincide with his 80th Birthday, he replied that he would start smoking as well to celebrate!"

So not only singing at 80 but to commence smoking, surely a good sign for things to come when LC is 82.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

Sir, I concede that your evidence is compelling.

However, may I direct the jury to the historical evidence that Leonard has previously attested that the main (if not only) prompt for the last tour was that he found himself in severe financial straits. The last tour having replenished his coffers, the court can see no reason whatsoever for a further tour and argues, furthermore, indeed agrees to previously-aforementioned eating of one's own head should this 'tour' circumstance arise, notwithstanding the court's own legally-binding decision as to what does and does not constitute a 'tour'.

It should be noted that one's own head shall not be eaten in the aftermath of a single concert, a guest appearance(s) or following a small and limited collection of public appearences.

I rest my case.
Tony Crosbie

Post by Tony Crosbie »

Ah, you say Leonard's coffers have been replenished. I would accept that. Now money not being the driving force the question still remains - why would Leonard tour again? One could argue the case that he has a new album to promote, it being released on the 31 of January next year and don't all groups/singers tie in a tour be it world or otherwise to promote the album. That seems to be the way of the world now. Leonard, it appears to me at any rate, does like performing and has a bond with his fans which I feel is real and which he very much appreciates. So there are very real pluses for a 2012 tour. However, it is my belief that that age factor, whether we like it or not, does have a major bearing on any plans that either Leonard himself or his Advisors may wish to make and I do feel that he will not enter into such an undertaking as a tour, be it large or small, in 2012. Happily the new Album will sell handsomely anyway.
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

Tony Crosbie wrote:Ah, you say Leonard's coffers have been replenished. I would accept that. Now money not being the driving force the question still remains - why would Leonard tour again? One could argue the case that he has a new album to promote, it being released on the 31 of January next year and don't all groups/singers tie in a tour be it world or otherwise to promote the album. That seems to be the way of the world now. Leonard, it appears to me at any rate, does like performing and has a bond with his fans which I feel is real and which he very much appreciates. So there are very real pluses for a 2012 tour. However, it is my belief that that age factor, whether we like it or not, does have a major bearing on any plans that either Leonard himself or his Advisors may wish to make and I do feel that he will not enter into such an undertaking as a tour, be it large or small, in 2012. Happily the new Album will sell handsomely anyway.
Sir Tony of Crosbie, I concur
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

May I ask you to re-examine something that is quite well known in human nature.

Leonard was ripped off and as we all know, he then went back on the road to recapture some wealth. We have no idea whether he would have done that, even if he hadn't seen his dosh disappear, anyway, I digress.

People of the jury, ask yourself, if YOU (the Gents in this case) were adored, nay swooned upon by so many delicious ladies, have polka dotted blouses thrown in your direction, have standing ovations several times during each and every concert, would it matter how much you have in the bank?

They say after money comes power, I won't be so blunt as to say Leonard seeks power, far from it but to be loved, to be able to attract large audiences by the power of your voice, your words, your music and indeed your very being, to have a hall or stadium full of fans in the palm of your hand, would you not want that just one more time, regardless that your coffers are now fluid?

I think that perhaps we are making too much of the money side of this, if having money alone were the case, we would never see, Dylan, Young, Springsteen nor many others, who tour (in fact Dylan is still on his never ending tour) they sing for the love of it and the fans give them the one thing they can't buy.............
Neil from The Young Ones
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Does anyone know anything about this?

"Has Anyone Here Ever Seen Leonard Cohen Perform Live?
He's playing a concert near me at the end of the month and I'm considering going to it. Actually, And So I Watch You From Afar are playing the next day as well and I'm thinking of going to one or the other.

Anyway, I was wondering if any you have ever seen Leonard Cohen in concert and what it was like, especially if it was in the last couple of years.

BQ: Most disappointing concert you've gone to?
BQ2: Any concerts you're planning on going to next year?
BQ3: Favourite Leonard Cohen album that was released after Recent Songs?"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 531AAh271K

Eva
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

majmunka

I'd guess the person posting that question is confusing Adam with Leonard. Perhaps saw the Cohen name and just assumed. If Leonard was playing at the end of the month, at that price, I'd be booking my tickets right now!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

majmunka wrote:Does anyone know anything about this?
Leonard Cohen Tribute
The Butterfly Band and Guests

Waterford

Date: 29 December 2011
Time: 8.00pm
Price: €10.00

http://entertainment.ie/event/Gigs/Foru ... 612674.htm

And So I Watch You From Afar would perform in Waterford, Ireland on Dec 30.

Return to “Comments & Questions”