World tour or not 2012

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Tony Crosbie

World tour or not 2012

Post by Tony Crosbie »

The organisation needed to bring a World Tour to fruition must be great. All fans, including me, hope that Leonard will tour in 2012 especially as his new album 'Old Ideas' will be released on January 31st, 2012 but I have to be realistic. If such a tour was to happen I think that the promotion would already be in full swing. The band would have to cancel their own schedules for next year, rehearsals would be taking place and presumably the booking of trains - boats - aeroplane flights would be in train and I feel if all of this was happening their would surely be leaks. Also, Leonard himself will be 78 next birthday and I have to wonder would he be up for such an undertaking. All things considered I do not think their will be a World Tour next year. God wouldn't I love to be proved wrong.
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
Mabeanie1

Re: WORLD TOUR OR NOT 2012

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Interesting comments Tony. I too hope that there will be some tour dates next year - though a world tour sounds rather too much to hope for. However, unlike you, I do not think it is too late to organise a tour and who knows, interested parties may already have dates provisionally blocked in their diaries. A bit like knowing when you would like to take your summer holiday but not actually booking anything. A lot less rehearsal time would be needed after an 18 month hiatus than after a 15 year break. Venues and hotels can still be found and I guess the people who hire out private planes are used to being very discrete and not leaking their clients' names.

For now, I totally accept Jarkko's statement that no decision has been made one way or another with regard to a tour. It is inevitable that there will be speculation after the mammoth 2008-10 tour but it also seems right and appropriate that the focus at this time should totally be on the launch and promotion of "Old Ideas".

After that, well the natural time to announce a tour would be after the release of the album. If no tour is announced then, well I guess Leonard will have decided not to hit the road again for whatever reason.

Until then, there is always hope.

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey, Tony... I understand what you are saying and mean; however, I think I'll weigh in with Wendy on this one :) .

Love you both,
Lizzy xxx
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Jonnie Falafel

Post by Jonnie Falafel »

If there's no tour - and a tour to coincide with the album is extremely unlikely at this juncture - then what about a tour of literary festivals, bookshops, villgae halls etc. to do readings, talks, meet the people? Just a suggestion. You listening leonard?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The promotion of the new album will not include any of those elements. The promotion has to cover the whole world; any local small-scale activities would not support that goal but be waste of time and resources. [Just my own humble opinion ;-) ]
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

jarkko wrote:The promotion of the new album will not include any of those elements. The promotion has to cover the whole world; any local small-scale activities would not support that goal but be waste of time and resources. [Just my own humble opinion ;-) ]
I'm hoping, hoping hoping - for an appearance - like - say maybe - on the Tonight Show ... 8)
I'm sure Jay Leno would be more than delighted to have Leonard Cohen (and I believe he went to one of Leonard's shows and had wanted Leonard to come on his show at that time).
As well - it would be SO convenient - being in Burbank (Los Angeles). :D
A promotional appearance for the new album.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

jarkko wrote:The promotion of the new album will not include any of those elements. The promotion has to cover the whole world; any local small-scale activities would not support that goal but be waste of time and resources. [Just my own humble opinion ;-) ]
Would you let us know your private opinion on what this world wide promotion could be like? :)
(music video?.. TV or radio appearance would be rather local/national acting than global...)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Still two months to go... A lot will happen before the release date, but let's first enjoy the Xmas and New Year festivities! :razz:
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Goldin wrote:
jarkko wrote:The promotion of the new album will not include any of those elements. The promotion has to cover the whole world; any local small-scale activities would not support that goal but we waste of time and resources. [Just my own humble opinion ;-) ]
Would you let us know your private opinion on what this world wide promotion could be like? :)
(music video?.. TV or radio appearance would be rather local/national acting than global...)
The Tonight Show - definitely world wide promotion. 8)

Yes, Jarkko - I am very patient. :D
And - just the release in January of the new album - alone, that is a LOT!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tonigh ... h_Jay_Leno
The Tonight Show in other countries

Australia
The show was telecast in Australia by The Comedy Channel before being discontinued in July 2010, shortly after Leno's reinstatement as the host of The Tonight Show.[51] The channel had been airing versions by the various presenters under the title Late Night Legends.

Brazil
From 1991 to 2000 the cable channel Superstation showed both "The Tonight Show" and "The Late Show" in daily bases, one week after airing in the USA. From 2011 the show is broadcast on Record News with Brazilian Portuguese subtitles at midnight (local time), one week after airing in USA.

Canada
Currently, the channel ctvtwo shows both the tonight show and late night with Jimmy Fallon at the same time as on NBC.

CNBC Asia
The Tonight Show episode from the week run back-to back on Saturday and Sunday on CNBC Asia, available to Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand at 1500hrs-1800hrs (GMT).

CNBC Europe
CNBC Europe confirmed they would show The Tonight Show when Conan O'Brien, took over from Jay Leno in June 2009. After Jay Leno returned, they have been showing The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Since Monday 19 April 2010 CNBC Europe currently airs the show on weeknights from 12.00am CET in a one hour format, with double bill re-runs on Saturdays/Sundays from 9.00pm-9.45pm & 9.45pm-10.30pm CET. The show airs on a one day delay from original transmission in the USA.

India
The show is currently broadcast on Zee Café at local time 18:00 with a one night delay.

Israel
In Israel the show was aired during the 90's on NBC Europe, which was included in Israeli cable (later called the "Hot" company), though this channel was pulled from cable in Israel towards the end of the 90's. Soon after, The show began airing on the Israeli popular cable channel "Hot 3" (then simply called "Channel 3") until 1999. Since 2000, the show is broadcast in the Israeli satellite company "yes" (which launched in that year) in various channels, the current being "yes stars comedy".

Italy
In Italy (with Italian subtitles) from 2003 to 2007 when RaiSat Extra cancelled the program.[52]

Philippines
In the Philippines, the channel ETC. broadcasted The Tonight Show from 2004 until 2007, when the show was turned over to sister channel JackTV and Talk TV.

Portugal
In Portugal, the show was first shown on SIC Comedia until the channel was off the air by the end of 2006. The show was switched to SIC Mulher until Jay Leno moved to prime time. Sic Radical used to broadcast The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien following the demand from their target audience to Conan's humor, after Jimmy Fallon took over Late Night.[citation needed] The contract that both NBC and SIC had wasn't expired by the time The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien got cancelled, so the network received the rights to exhibit The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Sweden
In Sweden, Kanal 5 started airing The Tonight Show every night Monday to Friday with a one week delay in 2000. In 2008, Kanal 5 chose to replace it with Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and moved The Tonight Show to their sister channel Kanal 9, with a rerun aired the next day on Kanal 5.[53]

Finland
In Finland, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is broadcasted by MTV3 MAX from Monday to Friday with a three night delay.

Turkey
The Tonight Show with Jay Leno is broadcasted by CNBC-e on weekdays at 00:00 with a one night delay.
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

jarkko wrote:Still two months to go... A lot will happen before the release date, but let's first enjoy the Xmas and New Year festivities! :razz:

indeed.
and let us look forward to all the great moments of 2012 that we already know of:

- the screwjob on the u.s. national anthem by some former children's tv star on super bowl sunday
- "old ideas" becomes #1 on the billboards
- bvb retaining the bundesliga championship
- the eurovision song contest in baku, azerbaijan
- the opening ceremony of the london summer olympics with all the beautiful flags of our most beloved countries such as botsuana, chinese taipei, st. kitts and nevis or vanuatu
- the 2012 leonard cohen event in madison, wisconsin
- leonard cohen turning 78
- the release of the 13th leonard cohen studio record "new ideas"
- the release of the 14th leonard cohen studio record "final songs"
- the doom of all mankind due to the damn maya calendar

:-)
Last edited by Maulwurf on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe I've had too many single malts....but I think you're very funny
You don't post here enough Maulwurf.

i've had a bad day but you made it better (but I do have a warped sense of humour)
Karren B

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i'm sorry but i still find it funny
'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Maulwurf wrote:
jarkko wrote:Still two months to go... A lot will happen before the release date, but let's first enjoy the Xmas and New Year festivities! :razz:

indeed.
and let us look forward to all the great moments of 2012 that we already know of:

- the screwjob on the u.s. national anthem by some former children's tv star on super bowl sunday
- "old ideas" becomes #1 on the billboards
- bvb retaining the bundesliga championship
- the eurovision song contest in baku, azerbaijan
- the opening ceremony of the london summer olympics with all the beautiful flags of our most beloved countries such as botsuana, chinese taipei, st. kitts and nevis or vanuatu
- the 2012 leonard cohen event in madison, wisconsin
- leonard cohen turning 78

Lots to look forward to !!
- the release of the 13th leonard cohen studio record "new ideas"
- the release of the 14th leonard cohen studio record "final songs"
- the doom of all mankind due to the damn maya calendar

:-)
Lots to look forward to !!Lots to look forward to !!Lots to look forward to !!And so say all of us :lol:
scocoh

Re: World tour or not 2012

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chema

Post by Chema »

I bet that next year there will be a new Leonard Cohen's tour... And I challenge anybody to put it in writing and to tell all an sundry about it if I am wrong. Time says who is right!!! :D :D :D
jontas

Post by jontas »

I absolutely think there will be a tour, or at the very least, a couple of shows. Why else would they have built a tour section into his new website? As a programmer I can say from experience we don't like building features for no reason that will never be used (not to mention the cost to build).

Return to “Comments & Questions”