Question regarding Jack McClelland (M&S)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Samui

Re: Question regarding Jack McClelland (M&S)

Post by Samui »

I was very interested in this post as I was the villain with the highest bid on eBay.
I'm happy with the purchase as I have been looking for this first edition for a while.
I began an investigation to see if I could find any connection with a "Jack and Gloria" and a Google search brought me to this post.
I only wanted a good first edition of The Spice Box of Earth as I have other first edition Cohen books.
However the inscription does intrigue me as it seems genuine. Maybe I'm just naive to assume that a first edition book would never be defaced.
The one thing that the scanned images on eBay didn't show was the firmness of the imprint on the paper. The imprint of the entire text transfers through the page and onto the page behind. I have scanned the two pages to show the impact. The pressure seems excessive and unusual.
I'm sure that with so many long-time LC devotees in the world, someone would know of these two "old friends" if they existed.
Your assistance in solving this mystery would be appreciated.
Thank you kindly.
Alan Bell
From a Cohenless Hydra in 1975 to finally Brisbane in 2010.
Samui

Post by Samui »

From 1 July 2011 to 1 January 2017 (exactly 5½ years) without any response but the thread is still active.
I now have a theory about this Jack.

Every 5½ years I search Google for "Gloria and Jack 1960".

No success but then I tried "Gloria and Jack 1959" and a photo from 10 December 1959 was displayed - only 22 days off the "1960" search.

http://www.gettyimages.com/event/years- ... id83557058

Below is the text associated with this photo -
American writers Jack Kerouac (1922 - 1969) (left), Albert Saijo (right, with glasses), and Lew Welch (1926 - 1971) sit around a low table as they collaborate on a poem, which is typed by Gloria Schoffel in the apartment (304 W. 14th St.) of her and her soon-to-be husband, photographer McDarrah, New York, New York, December 10, 1959. The poem was entitled 'This is a Poem by Albert Saijo, Lew Welch, and Jack Kerouac' (later published as 'Trip Trap'), and was based on the trio's journey from San Francisco to New York in Welch's car. (Photo by Fred W. McDarrah/Getty Images)

So there are two dates -

10 December 1959 - Jack Kerouac, Gloria Schoffel, Lew Welch and Albert Saijo writing poetry.

30 May 1960 - A poem to Gloria and Jack from Leonard.

There may be some connection! I would like an opinion as to any possible connection between this trio as I think that it is now more likely than the Jack McClelland connection.

Happy 2017 to all.

Alan
Samui

Post by Samui »

I just realised that the date on the book is 1961 so I'm a year out.
Alan

Return to “Comments & Questions”