Of course...

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
songbird

Of course...

Post by songbird »

Of course they should be allowed to adopt and in New Jersey they can. Of course our governor just admitted he was gay.
The whole idea of same sex marriage being illegal is stupid! We are going back while other countries are moving forward and going ahead wiht it. We have a seperation of church from the government and it should stay that way.
As far as kids in homes with same sex parents what is the big deal? Yes there will be bastards who will make fun of them. There were plenty putting down when I was growing up. I was teased for getting good grades, being poor, and only having one parent a single full time working mother. But lets see...if I had gotten bad grades I would have been teased for being stupid by the same grup of people, had I been rich, I would have been called a rich snob, if I had both my parents and my mom stayed home I would have been called a mama's girl. People will tease you no matter what and children will sadly have to learn to ignore it and will be a better person for it. Parents or a parent should teach their children to ignore them and that there is no such thing as a normal family. Growing up I knew people who were adopted, or lived in foster homes, or with an relative like an aunt or grandparents. I knew kids who lived with steps halves and wholes.
People who question wether or not a same sex couple and form a normal family should see the comedy birdcage. Although funny, the movie does make a point about how normal is in the eye of the beholder. The son even stays sincereley "I am the only one in my fraternity who does not come from a broken family." And one of my favorite scenes is when the son boldy goes up to nathan lane's (albert) character and takes his wig off and tells the senator "This man here is my mother."
So in conclusion...people who think that homosexuality is wrong or who think that same sex couples should not adopt or get married are not bad people they are just ignorant. There is no crime in being ignorant all though if you ask me if we are going to make it a crime to be homosexual why don't we make it a crime to be ignorant....It would certainly increase jobs in law enfourcement.....
And yes I think that George bush is an idiot some times but he is still our leader....VOTE NADER IN 2004!
I loved you for your beauty that doesn't make a fool of me,
You were in it for your beauty too.

While pursueing your dreams, confront your nightmares.

People hold on to the past, because they are afraid of the future.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Speaking of Nader, Songbird.......I really like the voting system that's being implemented in San Francisco this election. It's already used in Australia and some other countries. It's a priority-ranking vote, of #1, 2, and 3 ~ to avoid the hassle of run-off elections [which, apparently, San Francisco is very prone to], and to not have 'election spoilers,' which Nader has been considered to be. So, if [for example] Nader did not get enough votes to win, he would be eliminated, and the ballots where he was first choice would be reviewed and counted with their second choice. Likewise, down the line until one candidate emerged with at least 50% + 1 of the total votes. It apparently works very well in other places, so here a vote for Nader would not have deprived Gore of a vote, and [through still another means] he would be President today.

I also think you made your points very well regarding the nature of children to tease. You're right in how they polarize the characteristics of other children, as a part of their own, learning-their-own-identity process. Cruelty is not a phenomena unknown to childhood.

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Comments & Questions”