another LC web page

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
jurica

another LC web page

Post by jurica »

if someone is interested, Tom and (to a little less degree) myself made a LC internet page for Croatian fans, but with some English pages of wider interest (we plan to add new material as we go).

the page is at http://www.leonardcohencroatia.com

please do feel free to comment on both 'the looks' and content. we'd be especialy interested if something doesn't work as it is supposed to. it's still a work in progress.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

So, that's what's been robbing us of you two.....well, at least it's time well spent :D ! It looks like you're doing a very careful job with it. I didn't have time to go through the links, but did click on Forum [thinking it was yours] and laughed to find myself right back here :lol: !

I'll check it out in more depth later.

Nice to see you, Jurica :D .

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Congratulation both of you, Tom and Jurica! 8)

(Jurica I never aswered to your message regarding your exam - forum can be so timephagous and I did not want to disturb you from studying :shock: - I don't ask for the result, however. :D )

Very tidy pages. Natural shades. Clean and lean script. I like it.

In the Who is Who section, may I suggest that you mention the relation between the contributor and the album or the song, and what he or she did exactly?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
jurica

Post by jurica »

thanx.

the names in the Who Is Who section are supposed to become links to a short description of who they are and where they played, but it's going to take some time to do that (sooooo many of them).

like i said - work in progress.

right now i'm VERY angry at my computer (i'm in Zurich on a vacation, and i have a Mac iBook runing on a OS X that i'm unable to use here) for not being able to connect to my ftp server. I CAN'T EVEN PUT IN THE DATE OF RELEASE CHANGE!

Tom is also on the vacation, and i don't think he even has a computer there. but: Tom, if you can read this, please put in the news about the release date change.
A'af

Post by A'af »

CONGRATULATION!!

Like me, both of you like Jarkko said is ADMIRER's of LC
Me, a far far and lonely fans from Indonesia :cry: just to say
SUCECESS!! for this new site
Helven

Post by Helven »

Jurica, Tom,

My warmest congratulations, too!
The site looks very decent! I’ve ran through many links and everything worked quite well.

And now I’m thinking… so far as I know there’s no Russian site dedicated to Leonard Cohen :roll: … There’re many materials on the Ru-net, but I still haven’t seen an entire site :roll:

Yours,
TH.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Jurica [and Tom]:

Several things I'm glad for so far:

(1) That your intent is to translate into Croatian the FAQs, once they're officialized.
(2) That you're immediately showing Leonard's sense of humour in this quote, which I've just seen for the first time :lol: :
I found that my depression might have been the background of my work, but not the spur, not the trigger. Although, without that background, the work isn’t easier. You know, lifting boulders isn’t easier when you’re in a good mood.

Toronto Globe and Mail, September 1, 2001
and
. . . If somebody has got enough time - or are bored enough - to examine my entire work in books and songs, . . .
and, of course, the real point of the larger quote that the latter is excerpted from, i.e. Leonard's view of himself, in light of the many things people credit him for.

and

as I go to the next section, you continue showing, through others' comments and descriptions of him, that he has a sense of humour; as well as putting him into the context of other performers' [and people that visitors to your site will recognize] opinions of him and his work.

In your "Who is Who" section, the word "Begginning" is misspelled. It has only one "g" in the middle of it.....should be "Beginning." :)

It's great having all the lyrics of Leonard's "unissued" songs in one spot, the way you've gathered them. Great idea!

In the "I'm Your Live Man" section ~ great photo of him!
A couple corrections: "the fragmentary informations we have about Cohen's early period" ~ delete the "s" on the word information, and add " 's " to Cohen.

I like your selection of, and the way you've organized, the relevant information that you've included on your site. You two are doing a great job with this, and your deep caring for Leonard is showing. It looks like you'll bring even more Croatians to him :D [and us :D !] through your very well done and continually-emerging site. Kudos to you both 8) !

~ Lizzy
jurica

Post by jurica »

thanks a LOT lizzy: that's exactly the kind of help we needed. Tom is a phD student in Croatian, and worked already as a lector, but English is another thing. i remember we've discused how information had no plural, but... well when writing in foreign language, you're bound to make an error here and there.

i must say thanx again!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh good, Jurica.....I wondered about putting it here, but then, since you'd asked. I don't know if I'll find anything else, but since it is the kind of thing you want, I'll go through it all from that perspective [later :( ] and send it to you privately, if I find anything. Those were the things that 'jumped out' at me, and I was already in the midst of my commentary; so included them, so as to get them to you right away. I'm glad you appreciated it :D !

~ Lizzy
jurica

Post by jurica »

hmmm... i didn't notice where you saw that mistake the first time: the I'm Your Man section is not realy a section, but a link to Jean-Francois Bedard's page.

i will, however, email Jean-Francois to inform him on typos, and i'm sure he'll apreciate it.

what i'll do as soon as i get a hold of an honest PC with Windows or Linux, is reorganize links so it will be obvious that forum, IYM, etc. are not our pages but external linx.

thanx again for your feedback.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Jurica, you made me laugh a lot with the Ph. D. of your friend Tom vs. his perfect English. Don't worry Henry Ford did not even know how to write the word "car", if you understand what I mean by this.

However, on the net, this is a must, to be accurate when writing, I agree.

BTW : the name "Jean-François" takes this kind of "ç". And Bédard takes a "é" not a "e". You can even copy-paste this if you can not find this on you keyboard. It is a gift good hearted done.

Now back to your section Who's Who, why not put a notice to that effect (about the links to come)?

OK, I imagine you thinking about leaving all this and finishing your Ph. D. : Much Less Trouble. :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Now I'm back:) and we'll put the note to that section these days, and maybe put some descriptions there (I begun with album credits and got so far as Recent Songs:) In any case there's no full credits for early records.
As for JF's name, I know, Tchocolatl, he's my good friend:) You must know that Croatian keyboard doesn's have those accents, but we're trying:) Btw, how many of you knows that are family names aren't correct, there are some complicated Croatian symbols on it:) They are Šakić (my, internatinal writng Sakic), and Starešinčić. Try read that! :shock:

If anyone else has advice about site, just write...:)
tom.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

As I said, problems...:) You see that "S" correct, but you don't see that "c" in my name and twice in Jurica's (btw, he's not a woman:)
jurica

Post by jurica »

i didn't remember to come back and thank you, Tchocolatl, for French characters (i use 'view post since last visit', so i sometimes lose track of threads, but now i remembered due to Tom's posts), but i did change it in the Links section of our site right away.

thanx.

Return to “Comments & Questions”