LC in Victoria Secrets Ad

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Moonlight

LC in Victoria Secrets Ad

Post by Moonlight »

Oh...Wait...sorry... it was Bob Dylan.

Surfing around I caught the latest VS ad and was non-plussed to see BD hawking underware. Very pretty underwear...but still underwear. What is the world coming to.

The model of course is extremely beautiful and at least 45 years younger than Bob. He sings a few snatches from "Lovesick" while the camera lingers lovingly over a close-up of the young woman's cleavage. Bob doesn't look too bad...they've ironed out the creases in his face as much as possible...the camera angles are working for him...but still...it kind of creeps me out to see this really old dude stalking around and singing "Lovesick" and leering...well, maybe not leering...more like squinting...at someone young enough to be his grand-daughter. Ewww.

bet it sells a lot of underwear though.

M
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol:
...well, maybe not leering...more like squinting...
:lol:

It does all seem more than a bit anachronistic. I know they're hoping it sells a lot of underwear.
LaurieAK

Post by LaurieAK »

Ewwww, indeed.

I saw this thing last night.
Set in beautiful Venice (or at least implied) it was truly lecherous to see BD set in contrast with the 'sweet little angels' in their underwear.

LoveSick is a great song. But put in the picture of this old fart and young girls, the only thing missing was wolf-like drool running down his chin. What a lousy choice to do this (i think) for a such a revered artist.

Laurie
Epurcelly

Post by Epurcelly »

"Cash rules everything around me, C.R.E.A.M. get the money, dollar, dollar-bill Y'ALL..."

--Wu Tang Clan
ep
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Don't charge him. The poor fellow is getting old.

Once upon a time, girls removed their "wonder bra" (sorry for the free publicity) for him at parties.

(got this from an interview of LC, don't remember where.)

Now he may feel he owe something to underwears.

OK. This is not funny.

I mean. To pass from wanting to change the world to old fat cat.

OK. This is not funny too. And this was not meant to be.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm just a bit confused as to who their target market is.....are the primary purchasers of V.S. lingerie actually older/old men? Those who identify with and still want to be like Bob Dylan? So they purchase it for younger women? Is V.S. really the shop for men with mistresses [not of the ceremonies ilk]? I know that it's considered the fantasy catalog for men, but when it came to actual purchases, I'd always presumed that boyfriends purchased it for their girlfriends, or some men for their wives, or women for themselves.....yet, all primarily were in the young/er age brackets [at least, moreso than not]. However, it's difficult to imagine the mainstream of 20- and 30-something's thinking, "If I buy this, Bob Dylan will find me attractive." Johnny Depp, maybe, but circa age 60, Bob Dylan? I like Bob Dylan very much, but dang!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Lizzy, you like Bob Dylan very much like all Baby Boomers. He is an Icone of your generation. So stop searching. Baby boomers are the target. Only Baby Boomers have the money and the time to devoted themselves to such a passtime.

The young girl is just an apetizer.

I may be harsh, no, I'm harsh. But maybe you are too used to follow the group like sheeps. Woodstock and everything,eh? Pass the grass. Maybe all this - the stuff he sang - was just another fashion like the petites culottes of the month?

And for G_d sake, you BB are not dead, yet. Please. Still leave.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Kush

Post by Kush »

Lighten up!! I think it's really cool he's doing this ad. The man has a sense of humor not always apparent in his concerts :) Going electric in 1965, doing Victoria's Secret ad in 2004 - it's all the same to him.

"He's not always pleasing to the ears, but then he's never aimed to please." - Bill Clinton

And boy, I bet Mr. Clinton(still my favorite Prez) wishes he was doing the ad rather than Dylan.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

What a lapsus this time! I meant live, obviously. And "Please still leave this bullsh"....? Probably.

I sound a little too dramatic, yes.

But I can't help but fell like if I witness some wolfs turned into nice doggy-doggy and that makes me feel grrrr.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Tchoc ~

Your response confuses me at least, if not more, than the ad. Let me set one thing straight right-off: Only a minor 'sect' of Baby Boomers like Dylan...."very much like all Baby Boomers" is a vast and inaccurate over-generalization.

Baby Boomers are the target? I reiterate my question. For whom are all these Baby Boomers making this expensive purchase? Their granddaughters? Not. The young girl may be the appetizer, but the lingerie is the main dish. Again ~ being purchased by whom, for whom?

This comment requires explanation, as it makes no sense in the context of this discussion: "But maybe you are too used to follow the group like sheeps." I didn't attend Woodstock. I passed the grass years ago.

His songs of that era merely a fashion? No. He grew older and changed? Yes. Into an underwear hawker? Well.....

Still live at Victoria's Secret? Saying that the majority of buyers are younger than 50s-60s is not a conceptual leap in regard to the lingerie. That does not say that there aren't 50s-60s who buy it, however. I submit, however, that they are not in the majority. If Bob's presence in the ads is not to seem anachronistic, why not go with an older model, who still looks awesome, so that the concept might seem more reasonable for a BB to identify with. We women got older, as well, and with it, we didn't get stupid.

I agree, Kush. At least the ad would make some sense with Clinton in that spot. As for the ad itself, we'll see how long he stays in it. I don't think the VS execs are going to continue it for long, unless there's an upsurge in sales [by the BBs]. I'd guess there's enough speculation about it that something will be reported on it somewhere.
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

Tchoc

You have an obsession (and not a very interesting one) with Baby Boomers. It's a thinly disguised fear of ageing. But I can help you with this. However, you're going to have to give up your other personality. It's getting in the way.

YdF
jurica

Post by jurica »

Kush wrote:And boy, I bet Mr. Clinton(still my favorite Prez) wishes he was doing the ad rather than Dylan.
...he he, i don't see the need to note 'still my favorite Prez'. i mean, the new one doesn't look as much of a competition. if he WAS your favorite, he's certanly STILL your favorite (i'm not American, but he was -an is, ofcourse- MY favorite American Prez -as you say- too).
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

YdF, strange enough, for me, I prefer - I like a lot - your other personality, the trickster's one. I think you are very funny and I like to read you. But when you try to be serious in your clownish disguise, that does not fit. Sorry. And may be I'm in the same situation. Don't know....

For the rest, I do not take myself so seriously and if some people are mad about my innocent laughters, maybe this is because their own laughters are charged with intention to humiliate other people.

Maybe.

I don't know.

This is just a supposition.

But if it is the case, this is their problem. For me this is only jokes, all the time. When I'm getting serious once in a while I announce, not to confuse the fans. So please....

Regarding the BB, you must know that this generation is the more powerful in term of economy and also because of the number. And, yes, this is a shame to see what they are doing with all this power after having been young at such a time, where you have more freedom to be something else than a blind consumer.

Lingerie is not the point, I like lingerie a lot.

And I'm not afraid to grow old. I just heard about a survey about the most happiest people in this society : surprisingly it was women over 60 that was leaving alone. Well. Maybe the were the only one to be happy to answer the survey. And maybe when I'll be there, the situation would have changed. But as today I like a lot to grow old.

This is not the point either.

The point is to stop to be alive because you are growing old. Stop to be involve in the future of the planet and society, and being only turned to futile things. I said only. Because one needs a rest once in while, eh?

Ey BB? I'll talk your langage : remember Harold and Maud?

Maud is my hero. A human being that never stop to live fully until SHE decide it.

Reread and if you still don't understand, send me a PM. And be patient for the answers.

Cheers

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Lizzy, you are right, but Dylan is more like an Icon than a real person in this add, in my point of view.

I feel like the bad person who tells children that Santa Claus does not exist, but... Please be aware that This message has been classified as spam and will be deleted by the moderators and prostitution (and often prostitution of minors) are existing.

For the rest, I think that I have answered in the previous messages.

Cheers dear Lizzy,

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tchoc ~

I'm well aware of the existence of This message has been classified as spam and will be deleted by the moderators and child prostitution......certainly hope that Dylan is not participating in an ad that could in any way be construed as endorsing of the latter :shock: :twisted: :evil: :cry: . As for This message has been classified as spam and will be deleted by the moderators, is his ad participation supposed to be implicitly inclusive of that concept :shock: ? Trust me when I tell you that the vast majority of BBs on this site are not naive :wink: .

I've not yet seen the ad myself, so am pretty much going according to Laurie's description of it as leering. She's near enough to my age and sensibilities that [given her description] I can trust her judgement on this, until further information comes in. Given the juxtaposition [in my opinion] of the young, V.S. models and Bob Dylan, with his visual focus, 'leering' seems to be pretty apt. Perhaps when I actually see it myself, I'll change my mind, though it seems unlikely in this particular case. Who knows. I'll stay open to the possibility.

True that Dylan remains an icon regardless of the head count of who loved him and who didn't, during 'his' time and since.

~ Lizzy

Return to “Comments & Questions”