Death of a ladies' man

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paula

Post by Paula »

I find death a fascinating subject and I am glad you are not going to delete the thread but I still question the morality of discussing the demise of someone as a third party. I think the question is in bad taste but the subject matter is well worth discussing.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Peter ~

That's a beautiful poem that you've written.

~ Elizabeth
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

YDF ~

Leonard's poetry and books are already on various schools' and universities' curriculums/booklists for study. In poetry and literary circles, he will continue to be read and studied; as well as be discovered elsewhere, by others.

You also may want to reflect upon your own tendency/compulsion[?] to make pejorative/disparaging/belittling comments regarding others, when attempting to make your own points.

~ Lizzy
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

You also may want to reflect upon your own tendency/compulsion[?] to make pejorative/disparaging/belittling comments regarding others, when attempting to make your own points.

What!

hmmm...I take it you are referring to my comment on Judith "Interminable Notes on a Masterpiece" Fitzgerald? But, I honestly believe she would clone herself.

YDF
lightning

Post by lightning »

Who by fire ?
Who by water?
Who by cigarettes?
Who by cancer?
And who by an overdose?
Who by the joys he chose?
And who shall I say is calling?

And who by a heart attack?
Who typing on his Mac?
Who in the midst of prayer?
Who cause there's no-one there?
And who shall I say is calling?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Lightning ~ So true.

YDF ~
You're so adept at bait 'n' switch ~ ever considered retail?
lightning

Post by lightning »

i don't understand the comment about "bait "n switch" ( That's when you advertise something cheap, say you are out of stock, then try to sell something else.) We are all in retail unless we are thieves or lottery winners. What does YDF mean?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Borrowing from the retail end of things in a figurative sense, Lightning. I meant that YDF was belittling JF for the length and involvement of her piece on Leonard's work, and suggesting that none of Leonard's poetry/books would be studied after he's gone, other than by a JF 'wannabe' [i.e. someone who's as interested/invested in Leonard's work as she is to devote that much analysis to it] ~ i.e. a clone; and then reduces all of that to he honestly believes that she would clone herself.

The "bait 'n' switch" has to do with throwing out a lot of substantial-type comments at others, and then when they're addressed, reducing it all to something that was not the crux of what he'd said, something conparatively trivial.
lightning

Post by lightning »

I still don't understand what you are saying. What's substantial? What's trivial?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Substantial [Bait]:

"A few songs will remain. But his books and poetry will disappear off the radar...nobody will be 'studying' them" ~ in the realm of possibilities, this one could be considered real and it's belittling to Leonard's work.

"...except for a few Judith Fitzgerald clones." ~ it suggests that a very miniscule portion of the population would even be interested; plus it belittles her as well, suggesting that she's the rare one who would even have any interest, and that only clones of her would carry it on [in other words no one, due to the unlikelihood of the cloning].

"hmmm...I take it you are referring to my comment on Judith 'Interminable Notes on a Masterpiece' Fitzgerald?" ~ in the realm of belittling, "Interminable" does it.

Trivial [Switch]:

"...except for a few Judith Fitzgerald clones." ~ in the realm of possibilities, this one can be considered quite unreal.

"But, I honestly believe she would clone herself" ~ not at all the crux of his original commentary.

The clones part served double-duty; one aspect of it being Substantial, and another aspect of it Trivial.
Last edited by lizzytysh on Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
lightning

Post by lightning »

YDF does not realize the substantial body of Cohen scholarship that already exists, is in the libraries, in the universities and seems to be multiplying rather than disappearing. Meanwhile the works of Freud, the disciples of Freud and the scholarship that Freudianism generated is disappearing from the culture. Young Doctor Freud is a throwback. Maybe he is old.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I agree ~ old, or very, very young....like a kid with a new toy [Freudian theory], and still unaware of how substantial Leonard's academic following really is.

I was forced into the Edited line because I had to leave before I could get back to add the comment I'd forgotten to include in my rush.
Zabka

Post by Zabka »

Lizzy, I don't think you should care so much about the edited line. Most of the time I wouldn't notice it, except that you point it out. :)

Doan wurry bout it
ZZ

What we have learned is like a handful of earth. What we have yet to learn is like the whole world. (Avvaiyar)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're prolly right, Zabka....they just always jump out at me. YDF will have me on meds for the paranoid delusions of Edited lines jumping at me :wink: . I'll try to ignore the compulsion to comment every time.
Young dr. Freud

Post by Young dr. Freud »

Lizzy,

it suggests that a very miniscule portion of the population would even be interested;
My dear woman, only a very miniscule portion of the population is interested now...his demise is not going to change that. JF can clone herself to Kingdom Come and add another million pages to her Notes and there will not be an appreciable uptick in the LC fan base.

Sorry to break it to you.

YDF

P.S. I love your Edits and compulsions. So revealing.

Return to “Comments & Questions”