LC for students

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Sandra

LC for students

Post by Sandra »

Which song of LCohen would you teach to young and adult students?
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Hello Sandra,

Definitively : Suzanne. What do you think of that choice? What would be your choice?
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

The fact is that my students are learning english as a second language then it must be an appealing song with a message and english not so difficult. I have been thinking about Everybody knows because of the repetition (that is good) and Ain´t cure for love .
The one you say Suzanne is beautiful song too....rather long perhaps.
why did you choose that?
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Because of the children, I mean the young students, I do not know how old they are, and Suzanne is a very smooth song, you can hear it at first degree, for the children, and the adults can take it first degree also or be more interested to understand the lyrics at other levels. It is a beautiful song no matter how you look at it.

Your choice of songs are good for adults, though, especially Everybody Knows for the repetition but LC's lyrics are not much for immature people in my opinion. He is too deep.

Ain't no Cure for Love could be used also for a debate around sida. Two valuable activities for the price of one.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Sandra ~

My choices would be "So Long, Marianne" or "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye." They're both very melodic and their messages are excellent for children, who will experience all kinds of losses with people as they grow older, through misunderstanding, rejection, death, and forces beyond their control, or merely growing and going their separate ways.....beloved teachers, bosses, co-workers, friends, boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, parents, children, etc.

Learning to accept loss, without becoming bitter, and simply appreciating what you once had and shared, can only be positive and a wonderful lesson. I'm certain there are many of your adults who could use the same lessons that the songs bring. I also feel that the lyrics and their meanings are pretty straightforward, so they wouldn't be so apt to get lost with the language, translation, and understanding differences.

I love it that you're using Leonard's music for the basis of your lessons.

~ Lizzy
jurica

Post by jurica »

everybody knows indeed is a very good choice for everybody over 12.

teenagers don't want to read mary had a little lamb and similar s...t. they want to rebel against their parents ('like their father or their dog just died'), against social injustice ('everybody knows that the deal is rotten, old black joe still picking cotton for your...'), physical love ('everybody knows that you've been faithfull, give or take a night or two')...

adults, perhaps, would prefer lighter themes like love&loss ('alexanda leaving', 'suzanne' ...) since they know what everybody knows already.

if you don't beleve me - take a look around. kids like rap (fuck, kill, shit drugs...) music, not (like grown ups) operas where love is the cure for everything.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

I have been thinking about this for a time Tchocolatl because I wondered if the songs would be so deep but ......I want to do it and see what happens...sometimes we have surprises with students. they are over 15 .
Lizzy you are right about So long Marianne. losses are always present in any live and it would be a good reason .
Jurica you are right too about youngers rebellion.......I know about that :)
thank you for your opinions....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Sandra ~

Let us know how it goes, and some of the amazing results [that I'm certain you'll find :) ]. It sounds like a great project.

~ Lizzy
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Sandra, if they are over 15 they are not children anymore (in some ways, they still are, for sure, but they can and usually they like to discuss about everything). Everybody Knows would certainly be great. Lucky students to have you (and LC) as their English teachers.

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

:D
C.

Post by C. »

"Famous Blue raincoat" is one of my favourites and "So long marianne".
"Chelsea Hotel" might work well too except I'm not sure how well that would go over in the school your at.

I've done so many english project in HS on LC my favourite poem to use was always " A person who eats meat" it would always get me a great mark and the teachers always laughed there butts off..

If you want something repeatative " take this longing" might work well.

Ok there's my 2 cents
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage »

Jurica,
12 year olds are children. 15 year olds are children. They look grown up but inside they are still quite young and impressionable. But that doesn't mean they have to read nursery rhymes.

Sandra,
There is so much great material to work with for young adults. Of LC's poetry, there is Suzanne, Story of Isaac, Hallelujah, Bird on a Wire, Democracy. I think these all have themes that young adults can relate to.

You'd have to decide which ones are best for which ages. I definitely would not pick "Everybody Knows" . Kids and teens have enough to figure out in their own complicated lives; they shouldn't have to deal with messy jealous, adult tension. Many have to deal with that stuff at home, and this particular song doesn't offer any especially useful insights for the high school set.
Hermitage
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl »

This is an interesting topic to consider. For me particularly as I have worked with secondary students on songwriting and poetry; as an appreciation study and also a creative exercise. I often take a guitar into the classroom and sing for or with students. Of interest to note is that one song that young teens requested repeatedly was Clapton's "Tears in Heaven". So what does this say about the generation that is into Rap and Hip Hop?
As yet I have not presented them with Leonard's work but if I was to try I would start with "Hallelujah" as they may be familiar with the song as part of the "Shrek" sound track. There is also a very good cover done by Jeff Buckley which may be more accessible to their modern tastes.
Other songs I would consider for students are Suzanne, Teachers, In my Secret Life and The Land of Plenty.
In the course of studying the history of popular music I found many students became genuinely interested in the music of the early blues songwriters. E.g.- Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James and so on.
I have found that some students have remarkable insight into the meaning of songs or poems. Many do not have a clue. Just like adults really. :D

Reagards, Witty Owl.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

thank you for your opinions..... C., Hermitage, witty owl.....
margaret

Post by margaret »

I'm a bit late with this, but how about "There is a war"?

margaret

Return to “Comments & Questions”