animals in danger

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Sandra

animals in danger

Post by Sandra »

I need information about organizations that cares about animals. please let me know
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

PETA is one, Sandra....People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. They're very activist-oriented. One of their more memorable moves was to throw red paint on a woman's [as I'm recalling, white] fur coat. They don't always take such extreme measures; however, they are sincerely concerned about animals, and will help in very real ways. You can get to their site via Google. I don't know whether they work internationally; likewise, with the Humane Society ~ not sure if there's an "International" Humane Society. Then, of course, there's GreenPeace, that I know works internationally, on behalf of animals and other creatures.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Hi Sandra,
this is the link to The Animal Rescue Site:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

:) One free click daily on the "Feed an Animal in Need - Click for Free" button provides the value of six bowls of food and care to a rescued animal in a shelter or sanctuary.
Site sponsors pay for each click.

I cut and pasted this text from the site for further information:

About The Animal Rescue Site
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

The Animal Rescue Site (http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com) was founded to help feed and care for some of the 27 million unwanted animals given to shelters in the US every year.

Since its launch in July of 2002, the site has established itself as a clear leader in online activism and a dynamic force in the effort to give all animals the happy, healthy lives they deserve. In The Animal Rescue Site's first year of operation, 22.9 million bowls of food were funded for animals in need.

With the simple, daily click of the purple "Feed an Animal in Need" button, visitors fund bowls of food for formerly neglected or abused animals now living in shelters or sanctuaries. Visitors pay nothing. Site sponsors pay for all funding, which benefits two leading animal welfare charities: The Fund for Animals and North Shore Animal League America.

The Animal Rescue Site relies on its passionate supporters. Visitors increase the number of clicks, and the number of animals helped, by spreading the word to family and friends.

In addition to clicking the button, visitors can help feed and care for animals by shopping in The Animal Rescue Site Store. With each item they buy, shoppers automatically generate funds for 14 to 28 bowls of food for hungry animals, at no extra cost.

The store offers a wide array of unique and meaningful items, including The Animal Rescue Site apparel, special gifts, herb and flower wreaths, jewelry, home accents and handmade treasures from around the world.

Love, Susanne :)
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Thank you.......I am very much impressed by dog fight in this country...help.......!!!!!!!!1
bo fisher

Post by bo fisher »

Sandra,

It is wonderful that you care enough about our fellow creatures to
search and inquire about ways to help end their needless suffering.
I commend you and wish you the best of luck.

Bo
Everyday's a lifeboat
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Sandra and Susanne ~

Thanks for that link and the great information, Susanne! I'll do my click for the animals. I was going to give Sandra the names of The Fund for Animals and North Shore Animal League America [get ongoing requests from them, as well, for contributions], when it occurred to me that, perhaps, she was doing a paper on it. However, it sounds as though the dog-fighting is going on in Chile, so I don't know if any of our info will be relevant.

Sandra ~ You MAY have governmental agencies there to address this. Do you have any laws or ordinances forbidding it? I would suggest you try the office of an elected official there, and ask what agency could address it. Or, try a Google search for Chile Animal Rights Organizations, or something to that effect. I would also try contact PETA by e-mail, and asking them if they know of any groups that could help you in Chile. You never know what networking may have occurred for them to know such a thing, even if they've never been there, and don't operate there, themselves. I would also try contacting GreenPeace by e-mail and asking the same question. It seems that those two would be your best best, but you never know on that, either. So, I guess I'd try checking them all out. I really hope something comes through for you. Are the dogs pit-bulls?

~ Lizzytysh
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

thank you for your encouragement about this. the sad thing is that these fights are organized by groups of young who need money. they raise dogs just to fight. any dog.
very sad indeed.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sandra ~

If you have something like what we call "City Hall" ~ a governmental building ~ I'd say start there. I'd also go to the head of the police department and talk with him. That may give you an idea of the attitude [accepting or not] on the holding of dog fights. They probably would be the ones to enforce it there. If they're just going to turn a "blind eye," then it's definitely going to be tougher.

I'd also get on the Internet, through Google I guess, and start searching for what might be available in your area, in the way of animal-rights groups. I know those fights go to the death, and the winner is often injured, if not seriously, as well. It is very sad. It's so hard to feel powerless when you know, hear, or see that something like this is happening. I, particularly, appreciate your feelings of caring, sadness, and advocacy on behalf of the dogs. I've been through some very hard things with regard to animals, as well. I know that pain.

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Comments & Questions”