We are not convinced

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Lightning!

I agree with you about the "convenience" factor regarding Leonard.
Coco

Post by Coco »

George,

I don't know what you mean about "blaming the messenger"? Does this have reference to my dislike of your latest poem? If so, you completely miss the point.
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage »

George,
You are entirely correct that writers don't have to believe in the things they write to express a point of view, but serious writers can explain their work, and their choices in language.
It's not enough to say, I'm a writer, and I can say whatever I please, because I am a writer and that's the nature of writing.

You sound a little defensive, and it's really preventing you from reflecting on what you have written.
Hermitage
Linda

Post by Linda »

Right on Coco.

One of the things that attracted me to LC was that what he writes comes from his heart, I will dump him in a second it it is not. Don't burst my bubble.
Linda
Kush

Post by Kush »

i'd think it would be better for "our young people" (and their parents if need be) to take some responsibility for their actions and just said no to drugs.
As for what LC thinks I don't see why it should matter so much one way or other - he ain't my moral compass (or for that matter bob dylan or anybody else).
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage »

Unfortunately, young people do not always have the best judgment (that's why certain rights are often withheld from them). Some parents don't have such good judgment. Should their children suffer because their parents didn't, couldn't, wouldn't protect them from the influence of drug dealers?

Moreover, parents, for better and for worse, can't control everything their children do.

Although I would not want to see anyone innocent hurt, I would hardly cry if I heard that the sites where dangerous drugs were grown and prepared were demolished. Certainly, people in the drug trade are not shedding any tears for our young people, or their parents.

Hermitage
Kush

Post by Kush »

The situation might be more complex than just bad people growing drugs and innocent misguided youth consuming them. Sometimes people do things coz' that's all they can do.
A good song to hear on this is Springsteen's 'Sinaloa Cowboys' on his Ghost of Tom Joad album.

p.s. I do not know enough about the issue. I could be wrong. But it is my gut reaction that such a course of action (bombing Colombia or California for that matter) will ultimately be unhelpful.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It seems to me that the areas, from out of where the drugs [or their base], originate have as their cash crop the plants. To bomb the area would be to kill the locals who are living according to what they are able to do to earn a living. If you could isolate the ones who exploit them and glean the profits, you'd be coming closer to the real issue.
Hermitage

Post by Hermitage »

I wouldn't rush to drop bombs either, unless, as in some imaginary world, one could guarantee that no innocent people--or almost none?--would be hurt. One thing is for sure: the fact that the "just say no" idea doesn't work.

Hermitage
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're right, Hermitage. The "Just Say No" was not the panacea.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Much of the music and poetry whcih brings you to this site would not be here if not for drugs. Does some good, does some harm, to paraphrase Mr. Cohen,
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

More harm than good. I can pretty much tell by the quality (yes, Lizzytysh...there's that word again) of the poems when Leonard was doped up.

M
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Was he speaking of drugs or alcohol in them :wink: ?
Kush

Post by Kush »

Ah...Internet threads often take a life of their own :)
I certainly do not mean to suggest that Just Say No by itself is the the cure-all...but it can be one part of an effective fight. Also, I made that comment coz' there is a big difference between going to war with drug-producing neighbors and an intelligent fight conducted with the cooperation of these neighbors (i.e. their govts) and aimed at rooting out these sites while providing alternative employment etc etc. Its a question of supply and demand...you have poor neighbors who will do anything to make money and better living....you have rich kids (and not so rich kids) with time and money to waste. The infrasturcture and inherent poverty + corruption of these countries does not enable them to wage an effective fight against drugs but US can cooperate with them and provide money, personnel and technical help. And we do. Maybe it needs more direction or something else to make it effective but I dont beleive going to war with neighbors is the answer. The ties are far too strong. A visit to a border town like El Paso would convince you of that.

p.s. Isn't Jeb Bush's wife Colombian? And their daughter one of the rich kids we are talking of??
Kush

Post by Kush »

oops..it seems I was wrong...Columba Bush (nee Garnica Gallo) was born in Guanajato, Mexico and is Mexican not Colombian. Nevertheless my point was that of the cultural, economic and familial ties with neighbors.

Re' lightning's point: I don't know if there is any correlation between poetry and drugs. It may be entirely coincidental. Drugs of abuse produce altered artificial states via biochemical changes mostly leading to hallucinations. That in itself is not the problem but the fact that it becomes addictive. Even if it produces great poetry that may be too high a price to pay. Also, in an interview Bob Dylan said of his own drug use that he did not think it influenced his writing in any way but that it probably helped him get onstage and rock away night after night in the 70s. (he certainly seems like he was on drugs in Before the Flood and Hard Rain).

Return to “Comments & Questions”