Suzanne Elrod

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Coco

Suzanne Elrod

Post by Coco »

Hi everyone!

I love art and I loved Leonard's artwork for the card. I remember reading that Suzanne was a painter too and I found a site that features her work. It is glorious!!! I was really impressed! No wonder Leonard was so attracted to her. She is beautiful and has an artistic soul! Here is the link: http://www.suzanneelrod.com/index.html
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you so much, Coco :D ! My Sunday morning will be spent with a cup of coffee and Suzanne :D . What a find! I'm so glad you searched and found her! Perfect timing 8) . Going there now ~

Love,
Elizabeth
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

WOW ~ I am stunned :D :shock: :D ! Buried treasure brought to the surface by Coco! The nuances in the expressions that she captures are amazing. Oh, to be able to afford a portrait by her! Or, a floor covering! I would be honoured to have any single piece she has done, in my home 8) . Exquisite, deep, and graceful work. Thank you, Coco!!! :D

~ Elizabeth
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Lizzytysh,

Yeah! Wouldn't one of the floor cloths look good in our own kitchens! :) Or maybe a fresco! :)

She has such talent. Being allowed to copy the great Masters of Art in the Louvre isn't something that just anyone is permitted to do.

Lizzytysh, when I win the lottery I will commission a portrait of YOU! :) (And another portrait of you to send to Heretic! :wink:)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: My cat just lifted her head from resting, wondering why I was laughing out loud, Coco. D'ya suppose Suzanne would mind painting the dart marks into my face? Would give him such added satisfaction.....the gift that is sure to please. The 'dessert' of the affair will be that he can always add his own, or see how close he can get to the ones already there. Target practice from so many perspectives :wink: .

Oh, thank you, and I'll do the same for you, Coco, if I win. Oh yes, a floor covering. I would loooove one. She really takes extra measure with all the layers of protection, too. Wonder if we'd need to post a sign, "Slippery When Wet" :lol: ? Her work is so magnificent.....and look how beautiful she still is!!! Isn't that painting of a photo of her [painting] great? I had to wonder at first, is that a photograph, or a painting of a photograph? I finally opted for the latter. It's sure easy to believe her when she says she can make the painting have more ambience, expression, spirit, etc. than the original photo! I love her work!!!

What a great photo of her in the Louvre near the nude statue. So, going there to sketch is a permission issue? I wondered about that. You may be right.

I'm so thrilled that you found this site :D 8) !

Love,
Lizzy
Kush

Post by Kush »

Thanks for the link Coco. She is obviously very talented.
lightning

Post by lightning »

Copying is a craft not an art. It is done best by machines or people who resemble them. The best thing about that website was the reference to the "Moma Lisa" smile ( NYC's Museum of Modern Art is abbreviated as "Moma") , or did she mean the first word out of the mouths of almost all of us? Also, the pricing link was inactive. But I can imagine what it was if she calls a rug a "floor cloth". Dare we tread on it?
linmag

Post by linmag »

The pricing link worked for me, Lightning, and I certainly would not want to tread on anything I had paid those sort of prices for :shock:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, you're right, Lightning with that distinction. However, many of them weren't copies [those that were, were stated as such ~ or at least that's how I understood it]. I thought it was a typo/misspelling [as there were others]; however, maybe it's her humour? Maybe there are other explanations behind the other apparent typos/misspellings, as well :? ? Uh, yeah, don't worry about the pricing list. The spirit world was simply intervening on your behalf.

Coco ~ We are going to be soooo busy when we win the Lottery, aren't we? Stalking Leonard, getting commissioned portraits, frescos, and floor coverings from Suzanne. We'll be the talk o' the Forum :lol: .
Coco

Post by Coco »

Lightning,

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you saying that Suzanne Elrod has NO talent. If I could copy a Masterwork in the Louvre I would be thrilled. And as for the mis-spelled words that would be the fault of the web designer. I don't think Suzanne paints like a machine at all. Did you not see the portrait of Adam at Five?
Or her own self-portrait? I love Leonard and his "art" but she beats him hands down.

And a rug is NOT a floor cloth. There are "Floor Cloths" from the 16th, 17th, and 18th centuries hanging in museums all over the world. I would not sneer at Suzanne because she also likes to paint these as well.

Are you having a case of "sour grapes"?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Lightning ~ I didn't mean to bypass your [implication of a] question. Her prices are in the thousands. I'll copy-and-paste them here for you a little later today.

Dovetailing Coco's comment, the degrees of the "craft" of copying would certainly seem to elevate Suzanne's abilities in that realm to the level of "art." I'm also borrowing from her absolute art of free painting on her own when I say that. When she copies a painting, it's not like some copying, where a person gets to grid it off and replicate what's within each square. She's looking up, and her hand must accomplish the perspectives, as well.

~ Lizzy
lightning

Post by lightning »

Coco, I didn't see the portraits your refer to of Adam at 5 or the self -portrait. All I saw were painted reproductions of old masters in the Louvre together with the painter in front of them. Maybe my computer couldn't handle the website. Lucky those old masters are dead as there are copyright laws protecting the live ones. I did't say anything about "talent" but it's generally accepted that copying, even copying precisely is a smaller achievement than creating an original. When not acknowledged as copies they are called "forgeries" and are quite common in the history of art. It's not that unusual or great a "talent". I remember a school friend whose biology notebooks were incredibly exact but he never developed as an artist. Suzanne Elrod didn't appreciate Leonard's music and caused a lot of trouble in his life. How great is that? Not that personal stuff affects her ability as a reproducer, a role traditionally assigned to women.
"Sour Grapes" usually refer to something you want but can't have so you put it down to negate an unsatisfiable desire. I'd rather have a original painting than an exquisitely accurate copy of an old master. I'd rather have a rug than a floor cover as I am not able on walk on the walls or ceiling.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Suzanne Elrod didn't appreciate Leonard's music and caused a lot of trouble in his life. How great is that?
How do we know? We only have LC's side of the story. I'm sure he wasn't that great to live with. When I saw Suzanne's picture...I thought what is wrong with this guy? Marrianne was beautiful and kind ...he left her. Suzanne was beautiful ...he left her. Dominque Isserman was beautiful, intelligent and a talented photographer...he left her. Rebecca De Mornay was beautiful and a (well, all right...a so-so actress)...he left her. Were all of these women deficient? Maybe he can write about it ...but I don't think the man is capable of loving anyone. So shoot me.

Fix your browser and go back to SE's site. She is a very talented artist.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Lightning ~

If you go to Suzanne's site, there are three, separate ovals you can click on, each oval is topped with three miniatures of her paintings. On the left is "Frescos and Floorcloths" ~ in the middle is "Portraits" ~ on the right is "Old Master Copies." Did your computer only bring up one of the ovals?

For her own work, this is the "Pricing" page:

"Portraits

Using the Old Master techniques { 16 th & 17 th century} and using basic mono coloured background begun on a hand-primed Belgian or French linen , guarantee depth by many successive layers of glazing over the original underpainting creating much more subtler and profound colours with interchanging nuances to pronounce themselves and filter through.

My fees will vary according to the details, number of persons {pets or animals} and size involved. However, the basic prices {generally for one person {child or adult} with a simple background , are as the following.

Aproximate sizes:
A small portrait 20" x 16" {40cmx50} $3000
A medium portrait {bust} 30" x 24" {75cmx60} $4000
A large portrait {3/4 length} 14" x 34" {34cmx85} $5000
A large portrait {3/4 length} 34" x 30" {86cmx76} $7000
A large portrait {full-length} 48" x 38" {95cmx120} $8000

All portraits include tax.

Charges for highly detailed backgrounds or objects are negotiable. Charges for an additional figure or pet is 50% more the initial cost = for each added figure

Old Master Copies

Veronique $3000 / Reni $2500 {17" x 17" } / LeBrun $2000 { 21" x 18" } Dossi $5000 {35" x 46"} Titian $5500 / Modigliani $2000 / Corregio $3500 / Chardin $ 1800 {15" x 18" } /Melendez $ 3000 {31" x 25" },etc.

{Of list of what I have in stock with equivalent detailing/difficulty …}
Frescos

Mimimum begins at $85 to $130 per sq.ft. minimum price { usually applied studio canvas to walls or ceilings,etc.}

Floorcloths

Suggested Prices
Starting from: 20'' x 16'' {40cm x 50cm} $2000
28" x 28" { 70cm x 70 cm } $2500
28" x 42" { 70cm x 106 cm } $3000
38" x 54" { 97cm x 140cm } $4000

Rolled up and sent in architectuale tubes by air mail included. The magic and lore of rugs, with a washable and painterly design of your choice on hand-painted canvas to unify any décor, as wall hanging or floor covering. It's durability, flexibility and ease of care makes it a floor covering of choice since the colonial times and a wonderful way to protect, flatter and enhance any floor.

I treat each floor cloth { wall hanging} with at least 5 coats of protective varnish { more than the amount used for hardwood floors} to insure it's long-lasting."

As I look at the expressions and nuances in her portraits, I would love to have one done by her. Commissioned portraits are known to be costly, so her fees [on them and the rest of her work] may not really be so out of line; just out of line for me :shock: .

~ Elizabeth
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Moonlight ~

Unless I'm again confusing Leonard's Suzannes [which I am wont to do ~ apparently so wanting them to be one and the same!], Suzanne Elrod is not the Suzanne that Leonard was ever with. She was married to a friend of his, and he and she were friends. The song was written about her. However, the Suzanne that he could be considered as having been with, is the Suzanne who is the mother of his children, Adam and Lorca. If I've mixed the Suzannes up again, I'm going to have to post something on my computer to keep them straight :roll: ! This [the artist] is also the Suzanne, who I thought was teaching yoga in Los Angeles. If so, she's obviously doing a lot more than that :D 8) !

~ Lizzytysh

*****read the comment by the webmaster on the next page ******

Return to “Comments & Questions”