Should Canadian educationalists not do Leonard a Service!?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Andrew (Darby)

Should Canadian educationalists not do Leonard a Service!?

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

My literary friend (and Cohen fan), who runs a backpackers hostel in North Queensland, Australia, was telling me that whenever he gets young Canadian visitors staying at his establishment, he asks them if they know Leonard Cohen. Apparently many do, but there are also many who don't know him! :(

However, when he asks them do they know Robert W. Service, most reply that they do. Now this is not remarkable in itself, as Service is apparently a poet and writer of some renown, who preceded Leonard by some 60 years. What is interesting though, is that they know him because he is invariably one of the poets Canadians study at school (even though he was born in England and educated in Scotland)!

So, what I'm suggesting is, that hopefully it will not be too long before Canadian educationalists give Leonard his rightful place in their school English curriculums! 8) Having said this, perhaps Mr Service is a bit more accessible, traditional and popular in his style? :? Maybe some of our Canadian friends can comment on this, as I haven't read any of his poetry.

Finally, if any Canadians are visiting Cairns in North Queensland, I would suggest you consider a little stay at my friend's hostel or perhaps just call in and acquaint yourself with him - I am happy to provide you with the details if this prospect ever arises.

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)

P.S. Please forgive my play on words - those who know me appreciate that it is part of my damaged make-up! :wink:
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
username

Post by username »

At Dawson College in Montreal there is apparenlty a teacher who teaches the works of Leonard Cohen. I believe he makes the students read The Favourite Game. They also read his poetry and listen to his music. This is what a friend of mine who had that class said they did.
blue sky in the velcro
my name is matt, but you can call me regis
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

That's reassuring to hear - hopefully it will become a trend that is more evident over the coming years, as LC's literature gains the necessary recognition and acceptance in the Canadian education system! :D I do wonder, though, if some of it (e.g. "Beautiful Loser") is too controversial and challenging for secondary school consumption - with the corresponding fear that it may be too difficult to manage the (political/religious) ramifications! :wink: (I know, for example, that here in Queensland it would present some 'difficulties' - we still feel the need to protect our young people from certain sexually frank material.)

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Sorry, that should be "Beautiful Losers"! :oops:

Andrew (Darby)