PLEASE HELP! to Free 2 Tibetans *Reward Offer p.2

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Makera

PLEASE HELP! to Free 2 Tibetans *Reward Offer p.2

Post by Makera »

The 11th Panchen Lama, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, at 14 is currently the youngest political prisoner in the world. In China, whereabouts unknown. Also, Tenzin Delek Rinpoche, under sentence of death since Dec 2nd 2002.

Every name added can help. The petitions are still running.

http://www.rangzen.org/

http://tashilhunpo.org/petition.html

Please post these links anywhere else you know people will see them! Thank you.

Gennelle

>>@<<

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by Makera on Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Makera. I'll go and sign both.

~ Elizabeth

I've now signed both. Both people are covered under the first one [it appears]. The second one is to the United Nations. When you see their peaceful faces :cry: , you cannot help but want to sign for their lives.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Thank you Lizzy,
Everyone who signs the petitions actually performs an active prayer, which - combined with many others - becomes greater than the 'sum of its parts', and very powerful.

Love,
Gennelle
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's a good way of putting it with the petitions, Makera. I had never seen them quite that way, but it's true.

~ Lizzy
Makera

Post by Makera »

For context and further perspective:-

Tibetan monk knew he wouldn't live long.

In letter left behind after his death, Nyima Drakpa describes torture. (Radio Free Asia)

For the full article, go to:

http://www.tibet.com/NewsRoom/torture1.htm
Arno

-

Post by Arno »

Signed...

hope it helps.

Arno
Makera

Post by Makera »

Thank you, Arno...

It has to.

Only 2 days left, to sign.

~Makera
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's heartbreaking to read such articles, Makera. People merely wanting to be who they are, with every right to be so, yet being savagely denied. These thoughts can't help but be intermingled with the question, "What is the meaning of life?"
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi Lizzy~
Heart wrenching, I know. :cry:
For the rest of the story re: The Panchen Lama, the link to the index page ( the Government of Tibet in Exile), gives the background, history and tradition of the Panchen Lama. http://www.tibet.com/PL/index.html

I found it particularly ironic that the Chinese government should feel so threatened by the Tibetans' religious traditions that they would try to set up their own 'rival' Panchen Lama!

~Makera

P.S. One smart arse on another forum where I posted the links wrote, as a parody, "Please save the 6 billion!" (signed 'David in Thailand'). I responded: 'Better to light one candle than curse the darkness! u cynic!'
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What strikes me is how can you hope to save 6 billion if you can't save two or one. When I think of Tibetans, I think of nearly the ultimate in peacefulness. Laotians strike the same chord. I have no idea why/how they could ever be considered a threat, in any sense ~ other than through exposing corruption. I have no idea why governments seem so corrupt worldwide. Does it just come with the territory?

Just some thoughts while I'm still feeling sleepy.
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Thank you for posting those very important links, Makera!
I've just signed the petitions.

Love, Susanne
Makera

Post by Makera »

Thank you Susanne.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In reference to the afore-mentioned 'cynic' on another forum, there was a delightful counterpoint posted by a good-hearted soul. Here it is, you may already know it.

~~ The Starfish Story, Making a Difference One by One ~~

A young man is walking along the ocean and sees a beach on which thousands of starfish have washed ashore. Further along he sees an old man walking slowly and stooping often, picking up one starfish after another and tossing each one gently into the ocean.

"Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?", he asks.

"Because the sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don't throw them further in they will die."

"But old man, don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it! You can't possibly save them all, you can't even save one-tenth of them. In fact if you work all day, your efforts won't make any difference at all."

The old man listened calmly and then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea. "It made a difference to that one."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by Makera on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Makera ~

That story is very near and dear to my heart. I've told it in briefer form, a number of times. I'm glad that the soul you speak of told it again in response to the cynic because it's true. In fact, when Linmag was in Florida, we returned to the sea, a live starfish that had been taken with the intent of becoming a souvenir. The one candle, the one step, the one positive action. Sometimes, that's all we can do, but where we can, we must.

~ Elizabeth
linmag

Post by linmag »

I signed the petition too, but didn't have time to say so before I went away for the weekend. So little effort on our part, but so much to be gained, potentially. You have to try, even if you don't believe your small contribution can do any good. The sure thing is that you won't do any good if you don't try.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi Linmag~
Very well put. Thank you too. I expect there were many more who've signed without comment. I'm reminded of a song with the lines,

"I'll only pass this way but once
If there's any good that I can do
Let me do it now..."

Title?

It may have only been the first one to the UN which had the deadline, the other to the Chinese gov. could still be current.

~Makera

Return to “Comments & Questions”