another velvet revolution

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
margaret

another velvet revolution

Post by margaret »

Has anyone else been glued to news24 all this weekend?

I've been watching events live from Tblisi in Georgia (former ussr) as the president, Edward Shevardnaze has been eventually forced to resign after thousands have been on the streets all weekend. And not a shot was fired, and no one hurt! It just shows how People Power can really work.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Well I havent been watching it live or anything but I did note the changing of the guard. It was interesting that the new guy or prime mover is only 35, US educated and extremely pro-western capitalist. Also that Georgia is strategically important for the oil pipeline to the Caspian. I don't think Shevardnadze was being such a great guy by resigning as that he simply had no choice when even the military turned against him.
Apparently Shevardnadze plunged the country from one of the richest former soviet republics to one of the poorest in the last 10 yrs.

I forgot where I was going with this post.....it is ironical that almost 20 years ago Shevardnadze was one of the most visible and progressive leaders of another velvet revolution. Life is always shades of grey.

Return to “Comments & Questions”