Australia and New Zealand

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Isobel

Australia and New Zealand

Post by Isobel »

I have a wonderful opportunity to visit Australia and New Zealand in the months of December and January. I have read the usual tourist books on what to do and see. But am hoping that any members who have visited these two countries can give me further pointers. I really wish to take full advantage of this trip. Thanks in advance.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Isobel~
First of all, it's going to be pretty bloody hot in Oz, in December-January!
As a 'dinky di' Aussie, I can give you some pointers (8 years ex pat). Although Andrew (Darby), who lives there, may be a better source for the latest 'tourist tips' for Queensland (which will be hotter!).
Sydney is the best city to see in Oz (there is no other!); Melbourne :P ; Canberra, the Capital, is now the 'drug & unemployment capital'. For 'hands-on' experience of koalas, kangaroos etc. the 2 best places are "Koala Park", in a northern suburb of Sydney, and "Featherdale" wildlife park/zoo, west of Sydney. (Don't forget your sunblock)
Any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer.

~Makera

PS. You'll find further details about Oz in my posts under Elazar's poems:"Wanderings" & "Mentality" (Poetry Forum). He's from NY, living in Melbourne right now.
Isobel

Post by Isobel »

Thank you Makera for the advice. Another member mentioned Manly Island as a good spot. I am surprised by the description of Canberra so will probably not visit it. And I will take sunblock! 8) Thanks again.
Makera

Post by Makera »

Isobel~
If you're American, you have a bonus in the monetary exchange rate from $US to $Aus. $US are worth about 30% more in Oz right now. So, buy your sunblock when you get there. :wink:

~Makera
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Isobel

It is really dificult to recommend what you should see/do, as so much depends on what your interests are or what way you want to appreciate the country (eg. adventure tourism, eco-tourism, historical tourism, Indigenous culture tourism...or some mixture of these). It will be hot and humid in the north of the country at that time - down south it is generally cooler (though they can have their heatwaves :o ).

In broad-brush terms, I would be suggesting: Barrier Reef/ tropical coastline & hinterland (Nth Queensland); the Red Centre / outback; and like Makera, Sydney and Melbourne.

If you wish to focus on Queensland (where I live) I can be more specific and detailed in my comments/recommendations... and of course, I would suggest you visit the city I live in (where I would give you a free guided tour). :wink:

I know you are really wanting personal pointers, but a couple of useful web-sites I will suggest to assist you are:

http://www.australia.com and http://www.travelmate.com.au

Please feel free to PM/email me for elaboration on any of the above.

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
elazar

Post by elazar »

hey Isobel,

I can tell you my personal perseptions of Oz , which may or may not be of any help. first of all, i did not experience any culture shock here.this may be because i stopped through cali for a week on the way, and they seem to have more in common then n.y. would have with oz.the dress code is casual as is the mindset,(in contrast to e.g. london)and melbourne (,not being a beachtown/tourist corrupted :D ) is very pleasant.where i am is a train ride from downtown,so there it may be different.i am here for a year,so i am not rushing on a tourist frenzy and am able to soak in the surroundings,luckily.from my understanding,sydney is the more pop-ish place to go.beaches,partys et al.i am sure there is other things to do besides all that there too.it will be crowded there at that time of year as well.there is a wealth of places to go here and all are good.i would just recommend to make sure whatever you spend your time on here is uniquely australian.if you have any particular questions,please feel free to ask. 8)

salut
elazar
breathe deep and live
Isobel

Post by Isobel »

Andrew,

Thank you for the links to the Australian web sites. I have picked up some great information from them. We are certainly going to visit some of the places you've mentioned. I think you live in a wonderful country and am delighted to at last see it for myself. Will keep in touch.

Elazer,

It sounds like it didn't take you long to adjust! I think you are wise not to rush things at first. I would love to have a year to explore!
elazar

Post by elazar »

Isobel,

a quick pointer:when you strech out after a wholesome meal, don't let anyone know you are "stuffed".

salut,
elazar
breathe deep and live
Makera

Post by Makera »

Oh, yes Elazar! :lol: I completely forgot about that one!
Good advice, Isobel...it is a term for something quite rude.... :wink:

Return to “Comments & Questions”