L.C. as cantor??

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
elazar

L.C. as cantor??

Post by elazar »

a friend of mine tells me that L.C. has a rendition of some of the prayers of the high holidays- particularly unitana tokef..a very emotional prayer.maybe even kol nidray..i wonder if this is factual or not.if yes,is it available for public consumption???i would "die" to get my hands on this.

salut
elazar
breathe deep and live
Makera

Post by Makera »

Oh, wow Elazar, me too!
I hadn't noticed this query from you before. Would Jarkko know?

Elazar, maybe you could help me translate a song I learned, and always loved, from music class in high school (my phonetic transliteration may be pretty bad, so please forgive that). 'Shalom' I understand; the rest?

"Shalom kavarim, shalom kavarim
Shalom, shalom
Lu heet rha'oot, lu heet rha'oot
Shalom, shalom"
(repeated)

~Makera
elazar

Post by elazar »

makera,
i would think Jarkko would know.

cute song.

shalom kavarim (haveirim) = peace,friends

lu heet rha-oot (lehitraot) =to see you
used the same as adiou,ciao,goodbye

salut,
elazar
breathe deep and live
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Listening to my cd of "Kol Nidre Night" with Moishe Oysher [narration by Barry Gray], sent to me by a dear friend, I would love to hear a Leonard rendition of some of the prayers of the high holidays.

~ Elizabeth
Makera

Post by Makera »

Elazar~
Thank you! I really appreciate that. :D I've always wanted to know what it meant exactly but never got an opportunity to find out.
It does sound cute, by the seemingly simple words, but the beautiful melody has a haunting, traditional tone that gives it great emotional gravity. I love singing it, it's real 'soul-food' to me. I love "Hope" also.

Shalom haveir,
Makera
linmag

Post by linmag »

Thank you for reminding me of that song, Makera, and for the translation, Elazar. I first heard it at a folk concert many years ago. After singing it through a few times themselves, the band encouraged the audience to join in. Eventually, they split the hall into four groups, and we sang the song as a round, each group coming in one line behind the last. The effect was amazing, with the word shalom appearing to be borne on a continuous wave of sound round and round the hall. Several thousand people left the gig humming that song that night, and I still love to sing it to myself and remember the feelings of peace and love that were generated.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Makera

Post by Makera »

That sounds wonderful, Linmag!
Great to find someone else who knows it :D . It was apparently meant to be sung as a round - gave me goosebumps just imagining the affect! Doesn't it have an amazing soul-stirring melody?

That reminds me of a live concert of Don McLean (in Oz in the '70s) where he got the audience to sing his Rivers of Babylon as a round; that was surprisingly affective also.

~Makera
linmag

Post by linmag »

Yes, Makera, it's very satisfying to sing - and incredibly difficult to stop once you start. I've been singing it on and off for the last few days :) When it's sung as a round, it's the second line that dominates - like a mexican wave of shalom :)

I don't think I know Don McLean's Rivers of Babylon. That's not the one that Boney M had a hit with, is it?
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi Linmag~
It is 'addictive' isn't it!
The Don McLean "Rivers of Babylon" is completely different from Boney M's (which I also like). I think it was on his original 'American Pie' album, (or 'Chain Lightning'?).

"By the rivers
the rivers
of Babylon,
We sat down
and wept
and wept
for thee Zion,
We remember
we remember
We remember thee Zion"

~Makera
Susanne

Post by Susanne »

Hi Makera, Elazar and Linmag,

We learned Shalom Haveirim at school too, and every now and then it comes to my mind. Then I sing it and - just like you, Linmag, - simply can't stop!
Isn't it amazing - it seems you have to sing this haunting, beautiful and peaceful song only once, and you will never forget it! :D

Love, Susanne
linmag

Post by linmag »

Thanks, Makera. I think we have the American Pie album somewhere. I'll dig it out and have a listen. I haven't played it for years.
Linda

Makera

Post by Makera »

Linmag~
So, did you find it?.... was as it on that album?

~Makera
linmag

Post by linmag »

Yes Makera, it's the last track on that album, and it's almost as addictive as Shalom. I have a feeling that I have heard it somewhere before though, in the original Hebrew (?). It may have been recorded by the group that did Shalom live.
Linda

Return to “Comments & Questions”