Things I Can Learn from a Dog (...& a Cat)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paula

Post by Paula »

Do you think that could be the problem :shock:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: All I can say for sure is it affected my sense of humour ~ oh, and the years and content of the movies you mentioned are consistent. I guess we can't rule out Nostalgia, however.........I don't recall that brand 8) .
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hey, Paula & Lizzy :lol: :lol: , you cracked me up!! 8)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Makera ~

We did, huh? Well, what are you smoking :wink: ?

Tokes all around :lol: ,
Lizzytysh
[Tee-hee, joke's safely in the ground now :wink: ~ just wanted to include you]
Makera

Post by Makera »

Aha!! A "toke",eh? didn't know that American slang for it; tried to look it up... American dictionary didn't have it! (too 'politically correct'? :shock: ). Had to find it in 'The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary' (2 volume set) :lol:
Ah, just gimmie a good glass o' wine, or a Brandy Alexander, that'll do me....(at least they won't make me 'cough me guts up'! :wink: )

~Makera
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hey, Makera ~

Well, being approximately 20 years post-toke meself, I'll take Bailey's Irish Cream, or Merlot, even water :) , thank you 8) . That coughing was absolutely dreadful :shock: ! "Yes [cough-cough], I'm [cough] having a [cough-cough-cough] great [cough] time. Aren't [cough], excuse me [cough-cough-cough-cough-cough], y-e-e-o-u?.......Excuse me......[cough-cough-cough-cough-cough-cough]? Bad weed[cough]......where'd this come from [cough], anyway?"

So much more dignified, the glass...... 8) :D .

~ Lizzy
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hey Liz~
It's taken me a while to get back to this... :lol: .....but yes! Very accurate and funny! I think it's been as long for me...26 years!? :shock: .
Actually, I'm afraid, reluctantly...to have tried it in the first place, I mean.
Here's the deal: I had a boyfriend who's indulgence in the stuff struck me as a little excessive, not to mention a tad 'insulting' - to have a 'joint' before taking me out (OK, I can hear the giggles out there of, 'Oh yeah, we can understand why!' :P :lol: ). Anyway, not being a 'partaker' myself, I realized, would not give me the kind of credibility required to express such disapproval with any 'authority'. I agreed to try it, c/- bong; joint; hash oil...can't say I was particularly impressed. Didn't seem worth the cost, or the 'hacking' (even for a smoker!). 'Boyfriend' became 'ex', not too long after.
Ah, there was one other occasion, about 10 years later, at the beginning of my great friendship with Gary (a fellow Basenji person). But that was more to show him his presumptions and earlier impressions of me were wrong; plus making him feel comfortable, as our guest, to 'join him'. (Despite the 'look' I got from hubby! :wink: :lol: ).

Well, that's me story.
Love,
Makera
Makera

Dogs, cats, Sanskrit, mantras and telepathy - all in one!

Post by Makera »

Back to the Topic, here's a website I found fascinating to explore. This links to the page on 'Interspecies Communication', but this woman reads Sanskrit and has a wonderful sample list of mantras as well!

http://www.shalinibosbyshell.com/html/s ... ation.html

Liz, you'll love Happy the cat's story! :D

Love.
Makera
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for the link to that great site, Makera 8) . I've saved it in my Favourites to explore more later. I read all four stories, all of which I embrace. Yes, I loved the Happy cat story, and the others, too :D ! Isn't Dream a beautiful horse, and I'm not even a "horse" person. Perfect name for him. Great early-Sunday-morning (starting 5:30 AM) reading. Thanks :D .

:lol: I can imagine 'the look' that you speak of :lol: .

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

lizzytysh wrote:Hey, Makera ~

Well, being approximately 20 years post-toke meself, I'll take Bailey's Irish Cream, or Merlot, even water :) , thank you 8) . That coughing was absolutely dreadful :shock: ! "Yes [cough-cough], I'm [cough] having a [cough-cough-cough] great [cough] time. Aren't [cough], excuse me [cough-cough-cough-cough-cough], y-e-e-o-u?.......Excuse me......[cough-cough-cough-cough-cough-cough]? Bad weed[cough]......where'd this come from [cough], anyway?"

So much more dignified, the glass...... 8) :D .

~ Lizzy
Elizabeth

Well said: I'm with you regarding the Bailey's, Merlot & water - as for the 'evil weed', I can toke it or leave it! :wink:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: ~ I love that, Andrew ~ guess I never got to that stage to where I might have come up with that phrase myself :lol: . I toked it, then left it ~ perio :wink: . Of course, I'm presuming your "evil weed" [your euphemism] wasn't a play on my "bad weed," my solution to avoiding, "Where'd this schitt come from, anyway!?!" :wink:

~ Lizzy
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Elizabeth

"Evil weed" was a tongue-in-cheek expression used by my brother-in-law & one which quite appealed to my sense of humour at the time and which has stuck with me since that point.

My parents (if they had adopted this expression) would have used it more genuinely. It was such a shock to their devout fundamentalist Christian sensibilities to discover that my brother was cultivating this "weed" in my mother's greenhouse - she couldn't understand why, as a 16 yr old, he had a certain daily enthusiasm for watering the plants in her greenhouse! :lol: (Anyway, common sense prevailed in the end and my brother, whilst having to cease his 'horticultural activities', was not castigated too severely about this - furthermore, the matter was also handled outside of the long arm of the law.)

Cheers
Andrew (Darby) :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Tee-hee, Andrew. Yes, that's what I suspected. It was nabbed with that moniker over here, too. Did you ever hear your mom express out loud that she wished your brother had that much enthusiasm for feeding the dog :lol: ? My parents were devout Christian, but not fundamentalist. You can believe I'd have been severely castigated for such activity on their property :evil: , though still outside, as you say, the long arm of the law :shock: .

~ Elizabeth
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Elizabeth

I wasn't living at home when this business was happening and though we didn't have a dog, I'm sure my mother would have made some remark about my brother's selective or constrained helpfulness! :wink:

Andrew (Darby)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Such enthusiasm for a teenager, eh :lol: ?

Return to “Comments & Questions”