Things I Can Learn from a Dog (...& a Cat)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Makera

Things I Can Learn from a Dog (...& a Cat)

Post by Makera »

~ Things I Can Learn from a Dog ~ Unknown Author

* Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

* Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

* When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

* When it's in your best interest, practice obedience.

* Let others know when they've invaded your territory.

* Take naps and stretch before rising.

* Run, romp and play daily.

* Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.

* Be loyal.

* Never pretend to be something you're not.

* If what you want is buried, dig until you find

* When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

* Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

* Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

* On hot days, drink lots of water and lay under a shady tree.

* When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

* No matter how often you're scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout......run right back and make friends.

* Bond with the pack.

* Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Last edited by Makera on Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

I've seen a similar title but it is "Things I Can Learn from a Bitch" and it is identical to this piece of profound and philosophical look on the human/canine condition.
Bye from mini george. Can someone pass me a bigger wooden spoon please. This type of posting is addictive. And so easy. All I have to do is be nasty. Perhaps a few more contributers should try it?
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Linda

Post by Linda »

That describes my best friend. :D

Another is, be everything your dog thinks you are.
Linda
mamalex

Post by mamalex »

don't forget "if it's not wet&sloppy, it's not a real kiss"
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Makera,

I liked this postt. Even if it is in praise of dogs and not Italian cats.

Vesuvius
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Linda,

I have a friend like that too!

Vesuvius
Juliette

Post by Juliette »

Linda,

I appreciate your comment about how we should be everything our dogs think we are. It made me laugh and think!
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi All~

Mamalex~ "Wet & sloppy"? Eeew! Thank heaven for Basenjis, no sloppy 'kissing'-- they sniff; dance on their hind legs and yodel when they're happy to see you. :D

Ves~ I'll have to find one on cats, (my first favourite companion) but you may be surprised to hear that a Basenji is the closest thing to a cat in the canine world. They are true originals, like wolves and dingos: can't bark, have no 'doggy odour' & only breed once a year (winter). The cat-like qualities are a willful independence & cleanliness, i.e. wash themselves like cats -- yes, even behind the ears! They do climb rather well too.

Oh, and being 'barkless' does not mean silent. Nothing can yell and scream like a Basenji when excited, hurt or upset. Nothing can growl like one either -- as sheer conversation!

Love & Light,

Makera
Isobel

Post by Isobel »

Hello Linda,

You must be a "dog" person. So am I. Not that I don't like cats but when I was five years old my parents gave me a boxer puppy. I suppose one never gets over early childhood imprints.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Isobel ~

Nice to see you back here. My former husband and I owned a boxer, too, Schone Frau. He'd had the same childhood imprinting that you did, with regard to boxers, having grown up with two of them, the mother and then her son. They're a personality trip, aren't they? I like dogs :) , have had several :) , and have one now :) , but am definitely ~ overall ~ a cat person :D .

~ Lizzytysh
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

AAAAAAAARRRRUUUGH Makera,

I so like the post about dogs! There is much truth to the statements. I have been away from forum. I see you are Australian? I have visited your country at one time. I enjoy it so much.

Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

AAAAAAARRRRRUGH Linda,

I know the American Holiday of Thanksgiving will soon be here. I am sending you a present. To say Thank You for the videos you sent to me. I am thankful for your friendship!

Godzilla
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Godzilla ~

Great to see you here 8) ! It's been a long time. It's another case of synchronicity, as I was thinking about you [remembering your speaking some Japanese and referring us to the site for the meaning of something in particular, just can't remember what it was], as I typed out all the titles of Kitaro's albums and songs for Makera. After I clicked Submit, I came here and there you were :D 8) !

~ Elizabeth
Makera

Things I Can Learn from a Cat

Post by Makera »

As I don't know if one has been done, I decided to do my own -- for fellow cat lovers. (Especially for Lizzy and Vesuvius)

~ Things I Can Learn from a Cat ~ by Gennelle (Makera)

* Always be ready, at the drop of a hat, to tear around acting like a fool (kitten), for the pure demented joy of it.

* Always answer when called.

* When contented, or in pain, or facing uncertainty or animosity, purr.

* When startled, or confronted by sudden aggression, 'fuff' & spit and puff up to larger-than-life size -- or scale the nearest heights; whichever feels right.

* When play-wrestling or sparring, always keep claws sheathed. When others don't, or won't, box their ears soundly and leave.

* Keep yourself supple and flexible, to ensure that anytime anything, or anyone, causes you to slip or fall, you'll always land on your feet.

* Always respond, in kind, to respect and appreciation from the persons with whom you choose to share your home-space.

* If your home-space becomes untenable, or no longer provides appropriate sanctuary and companionship: first, find an alternative home/provider -- then leave, permanently.

* After any activity, or none at all, wash & groom.

* When in doubt, or bemused, wash & groom.

* Be ready, when moved in spirit, to bestow affection on any persons of your choice -- when least expected.

* Delight in the exquisite joy of bird-watching, without compelling need or desire; allowing the memory and romance to lift and excite your spirit.

* If you have, by patience and skill, caught the ultimate prize of mouse, rat or snake, present it proudly to your person of choice -- and bask in the praise, and horror.

* Keep your senses sharp and alert by patrolling your domain and all its borders.

* Always have a special hide-away, free from noise and disturbance, to dream and meditate.

[Recommended reading for cat lovers: Paul Gallico's "Jenny" & "Thomasina"]
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

You must be a "dog" person. So am I. Not that I don't like cats but when I was five years old my parents gave me a boxer puppy. I suppose one never gets over early childhood imprints.
My former husband and I owned a boxer, too, Schone Frau. He'd had the same childhood imprinting that you did, with regard to boxers, having grown up with two of them, the mother and then her son. They're a personality trip, aren't they?
Isobel & Elizabeth

I'm also a former Boxer lover who can't speak highly enough of them. :D

Because of their face I suppose, I think they are possibly regarded by other dog breed owners (and the public in general) as being ugly - but I think their faces are gorgeous and full of character, with the personality to match. Anyway, if they do lose out in the classical dog beauty stakes, I would then suggest they might be the "beautiful losers" of the canine world! :lol:

Cheers
Andrew (Darby)

Return to “Comments & Questions”