Flying Lessons

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Makera

Flying Lessons

Post by Makera »

Greetings fellow Travellers~

I have taken a cue from Taigaku (pun intended) to present some parallels and parables on life and living through applications of the principles of flying.

The flying of which I speak is gliding. Not hang-gliding, but proper engine-less controlled flight in a sailplane/glider. (Remember the scene from "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Steve McQueen aloft to the strains of "Windmills of Your Mind"?)

When I was between 17 & 19 (in Oz) I would accompany my father to his weekend recreation at the local Gliding Club where we both learned to fly. Towed aloft behind a Cessna tug plane (with instructor on board in the second seat, of course), to release at about 2,000 ft, we would then try to find 'lift' via 'thermals' (i.e. rising spirals of warm air currents formed from the ground up) If you have ever watched eagles circling high in the sky, that is what they are using to soar so effortlessly - thermals. They can be a helpful sign to a glider pilot looking for the best lift. Strict etiquette must be followed regarding entering an 'occupied' thermal, however, as an eagle can get a bit pissed if one enters counter to his direction! That rule naturally applies to gliders joining other gliders in the same thermal, for obvious safety reasons. Smart birds, eagles. 8)

First, to set the scene for some counter-intuitive analogies for success in Life, here are the basics of flight control:-

1)* The 'joy-stick': that which controls the 'ailerons' on each wing-tip (trailing edge) to drop the wing left or right for a turn; &/or the 'trim' on the tailplane to push the nose up or down.
2)*The 'rudders': the foot pedals, left & right, which control the (vertical) rudder on the tailplane - to make a turn, left or right.
e.g. To make a right turn: right rudder pedal with stick pushed to right, simultaneously. (also, to 'side-slip': right stick, left rudder simultaneously)
The 'joy-stick' is pushed forward to put the nose down = speed up; stick is pulled back to raise the nose to slow/level off. Too far back and the windspeed drops to stall, i.e. falls out of the sky!

For practice, we were taught to deliberately induce a stall (i.e. stick pulled back far enough plus over to left/right to drop a wing) that put the plane into a spiral nose dive toward the ground! To recover? Opposite rudder to counteract the spin (makes sense so far...) plus, counter-intuitively, to push the stick all the way forward, not pull back!! :shock: The nose would then rise back up for levelling off.

Another situation requiring an apparently paradoxical countermeasure was that of losing too much height when returning to the airfield for a landing. There is a lot involved in learning to judge when your height and distance from the runway is right; too much or too little for an 'ideal' landing; and how to adjust/compensate accordingly. If no, or too little, lift is found on your flight, you have to head back to the airfield. The procedure for normal landings followed a rectangular pattern with height checkpoints along the way. If you ran out of height before reaching the manoeuvering area you could be too 'high' for the runway (i.e. would over-shoot) and therefore, also too 'low' to gain the optimum height necessary for final approach. Sound confusing? Yeah, I know...'cause it is!

Anyway, now that you're totally cheesed-off with my "conundrumatics", I'll try to describe the example. I once watched a skilled pilot (in a single-seater, high-performance glider) perform an amazing manoeuver to overcome this dilemma. Coming in too high/too low, at about 200 ft, he put the nose down to pick up the extra speed he needed to catapult/swoop back up to a height where he could safely circle around for his final approach and landing. A highly risky, though ultimately successful, feat! 8)

Gliding was my father's passion -- going on to gain his Silver Cs and other awards for height, distance, and navigation competitions. Gliders/sailplanes are the safest way to fly, not reliant on an engine, your flying skill and common sense (the seat of your pants) is all you need. Usually, no-one but a total idiot can crash a glider. Stranded in the 'sticks' is about as bad as it gets. (The rare exceptions would be a crack-up in mid-air from aerobatics unsuitable to the type of plane -- or a mid-air collision).
Some funny sayings popular with gliding buffs:- "A mid-air collision in the morning can ruin your whole day"..."Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"..... the line my father liked to use when asked why he preferred gliding to powered flying: "I always wanted to spit on an eagle." (figuratively of course) :wink:

"Fasten Your Wings with Love",

~Makera (Gennelle)

PS Has anyone read "Jonathon Livingston Seagull"?

PPS Taigaku, I think your spiritual extrapolations on pool, with the angles and equal/opposite laws of motion in play, could be very apropo.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Makera, to soar much higher than the other birds, and not to do an icarius stunt and keep away from the sun!!!
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Makera, you have just mentioned one of my all time favourite books. I have it next to one of Richard Bach's other gems, 'Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah.'
We have got to meet. Or are we the same person inhabiting this planet at the same time, in order to save time as I become everyone who has ever lived? (See other thread ) :roll:
Oh, and don't mention the tooth. :oops:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

There is an art to flying; or rather a knack. The knack lies in being able to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
JTS (Sorry all I just couldn't resist it)
Helven

Post by Helven »

Hi Makera (Gennelle),

I love "...Seagull"

Byron, and "Illusions..." is amazing thing! 8)

Yours,
TH
I've finally found myself! But that turned out to be a completely different person.
/contemporary saying/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've also read them both. Loved them both. With dreams of flying; seeing birds in flight "up close;" and having considered [began the training, but dropped out, due to observed irresponsibility] parachuting once; it all sounds good to me! Wasn't it Hendrix who sang, "Kiss the Sky"? Loved your quote, John the Shorts :lol: ! And better than singing "Kiss the Ground" :wink: .
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi All ~

Well, who'd 'a thunk it, everybody knows JLS! 8) It's been so many years since I read it, I need a refresher. Thanks for alerting me to the other one too, "Illusions:...", I didn't even know about that one :oops: .

Oh yes, Byron, definitely! My husband said: "Well, since he's occupying the right side of your brain, ask him when you gave him permission to speak." :lol: :lol:

JTS~ Thank you for the quote, I nearly laughed my tail feathers off! :lol:

Happy Landings,

~Makera (Gennelle)
linmag

Post by linmag »

JTS - There were some lovely descriptions of flying in that book, weren't there? I can't remember which one of the Hitchhiker's Guide series it was, but there's a great description of the first time Arthur Dent got distracted and 'forgot' to fall, and found himself flying instead. Falling is just a bad habit we have all got into, and if we could shake off our preconceptions for a few moments we could all fly. What a lovely idea :lol:
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

Linmag

I'm not 100% certain but I think it was from "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish", but I could be wrong

JTS
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, speaking of fish, JTS......this is a true account [kid you not :lol: ] from today's, local newspaper :shock: ~

Article's title: "Man dies with fish in mouth" ~

Primary, article excerpts ~

"....died Sunday with a fish in his mouth in what may have been an imitation of a stunt he saw on television."

"[Deceased/D] was fishing.....and [the others] noticed [D] bleeding from the mouth, according to [Sheriff's Office]."

"....said there was a fish sticking out of [D]'s mouth......No one saw him put the fish in his mouth.....They heard gurgling, turned toward him and saw him bleeding from the mouth and the fish sticking out."

"....said the fish was a bream about four inches long."

"When [and others] were unable to pull the fish out of [D]'s mouth, they drove the boat to shore and started driving him to [local hospital]....[D] was transported to [local hospital] where he was pronounced dead at [time]."

"There are unconfirmed reports that he [D] was trying to imitate something he had seen on a TV show in the latter part of last week.....Right now, they're just rumours."

Hmmm :shock: ~ the Survivor Show maybe? Disclaimer omitted by the show, "Do not try this at home! ~ But if you do, be sure all fishhooks have been removed"?

Very sad, really. [D] was 27. In reality, hooks not necessarily part of the scene; just lodging and wriggling with sharp fins could create the bleeding. Interesting, the reporter's choice of words with "gurgling." But, how bizarre is this!?! My co-worker commented that he needs to be in the "World Record Book of Stupidest People :shock: :roll: ."

I guess it might be considered in poor taste [though the fish may have been good] to include in the funeral program, "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"?

[Well, I simply prefer to look at this as another case of Synchronicity, my just having finished the article, before coming here and reading your post :wink: . Wonder how many fish 'n' chip jokes there are in this :o . "Today's Special: chip 'n' choke" :roll: ? Yeah ~ I know,I know :wink: . Well, we've also now covered two of the elements ~ got earth, fire, and ethers left to go?]

~ Lizzy

Return to “Comments & Questions”