Please read

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Taigaku

Please read

Post by Taigaku »

Dear friends~

A few days ago I wrote Jarkko suggesting that he create a new room in the Forum section, a “sacred room” dedicated to dialogue on spirituality.
It would be my guess that there are other members besides me who would appreciate this – having a room where one can exclusively deal with G-d & life etc. and does not have to have as a starting point either members’ poetry or the songs of LC.

Jarkko wrote me back, saying:
“Maybe this should be discussed first on The Forum - may I suggest that you post the proposal and then we'll see what kind of feedback it gets!”

For myself, I can only say that I feel this site is exactly the place where such discussions could be very enriching, as most people here are rather more open to what I would term a true spirituality than what I normally encounter elsewhere.

I also believe it to be in the spirit of the man to whom these pages are dedicated (but I may be wrong..)

So please, everyone, share your opinion on this.

~Taigaku
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Taigaku ~

My feeling on your idea is, "Build it and they will come" [from the movie "Field of Dreams" ~ regarding a baseball field, yet the film itself is from a very spiritual perspective, so it still fits, in its way :D ].

From all that I've seen of the nature and quality of your postings, I believe that your initiating posts on it would be of a very high level. Some people would be drawn to the sections, while others simply wouldn't. However, over time, it seems that it would grow and some very elevated and interesting dialogues and sharing would ensue there. Along with enlightening, it also seems that it would be very educational.

I agree with you, in the way that you make a link to Leonard with it. He has certainly spent many years himself learning about, studying, and/or following a wide variety of paths. The potential for such a section would be for many things to be shared and much learning, even for those who only wish to go and read.

I hope you get other positive responses to your excellent idea :D .

Love,
Elizabeth
linmag

Post by linmag »

I'm not sure that we necessarily need a separate section for spirituality. It tends to weave itself in and out of the discussions here in the same way it is woven into Leonard's work. I think it might be difficult, and possibly too divisive, to try to confine such discussions to a particular part of the board.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Makera

Post by Makera »

Hi Taigaku~

Although I understand and appreciate your suggestion, the 'Comments & Questions' Forum seems to provide an appropriate vehicle for such discussions. Linmag makes a good point. True spirituality must imbue every part of life, from the most mundane everyday activities -- to the sacred. In the streets, bars and workplaces, not just in 'temples', should we be able to encounter divine inspiration. Sometimes, where we least expect it.... is where we need to find it. :idea: "No Big Deal"? :wink:

Blessings to you, True Heart,

Makera :D
Taigaku

Post by Taigaku »

Thank you for your comments :D

I expected objections along these lines, and I have made them myself, as well.
It may indeed seem too divisive, but in response I would say: division is the nature of language.

From the standpoint of Enlightenment all of language is poetry, all of life is practice.
And yet:

We do single out a particular use of language as poetry.
We do call things like meditation 'practice'.
We do call some topics 'spiritual' and see them as opposed to other, worldly, matters of discussion.

And just like you can have a section devoted to writing poetry, you can have a section devoted to writing spirituality :wink:
You don't have to do this, but sometimes it can be fun!

To sum it up: I wholeheartedly agree about the ultimately non-dual nature of the spiritual and the everyday, but exactly such a statement as that makes for excellent discussions in a 'spirituality' section

Heck, if anyone wants to read it, I'll write a page about the spiritual practice of playing pool... :lol:

Blessings of Peace

~Taigaku
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'll read it, Taigaku :D ~ I've seen [and been baffled by :shock: ] enough apparent worshippers involved in that practice, to presume there's something [probably a lot :lol: ] I could learn from your treatise :wink: . I also agree with your reasoning on the whole idea. I don't really see it as divisive. It would in no way prevent or preclude spiritually-oriented comments and responses to appear in other sections, on other topics, in general. However, in terms of a "[Let's discuss]...[spiritual topic of choice]" format, a spirituality section would be most appropriate.

Philosophically-oriented responses in literature and poetry classes are quite normal. However, quite a different dynamic and focus ~ as well as unique thought processes and expression ~ naturally evolve and emerge when you're in a philosophy class. So the same would be with a spirituality section.

~ Elizabeth
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Labels as follows;
I am a man
I am a family man
I have a pet cat
I wear black clothes
I wear no hats
I drive a car
I ride a bike
I own a house
I am a european
I walk with a limp
I eat
I have a spiritual outlook on my/our/your/their life
I eat porridge
I support Liverpool F.C.

Each and or/all of the above may or may not be true. Every aspect can be connected to one or more of the other aspects of what might be my/our/your/their life.
I cannot peel away any one aspect without it impacting on any one or more of the other aspects.
I applaud the idea of a seperate 'room' for matters spiritual, however, like a chapel or room of worship in a large hospital, it is only a designated area for someone who is 'in the mood' for using its facility, while surrounded by the nuts and bolts of the real world of life and death. I cannot divorce my life from my G-d and it would be unrealistic to divorce G-d from my life. That is how I find myself with regard to this interesting proposal. It is not a personal disagreement with the proposition and neither is it an impersonal disagreement.
I hope I've made some sort of sense in this posting. For every action there is a consequence and I don't think I could be mutually exclusive with my G-d when discussing issues with you all.
Byron 'sends his regards.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Byron I was pleased to see Albert in all his glory. :shock: Your offering put in mind of Donovan's Universal Solider. We are all all things to all men/women.

Taigaku bugger explaining pool can you explain the off side rule :?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Byron ~

You have me baffled :? by these two comments: "I cannot divorce my life from my G-d and it would be unrealistic to divorce G-d from my life. : " and "I don't think I could be mutually exclusive with my G-d when discussing issues with you all.' It's the idea of mutual exclusivity that loses me. Perhaps we could discuss it further in the Spirituality section :wink: ? I simply don't understand why one must be relegated to one section and not any other. The separate section would simply make the in-depth discussion not appear to be so "inappropriate" or "suspect." 8)

~ Elizabeth
linmag

Post by linmag »

Paula, I remember once having to explain 'lbw' to a Spanish translator. Up until then, I had actually thought I understood it :?
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

The "sacred room" should be devoted to the King of Kings.....Henrik Larsson. It's his last season with Glasgow Celtic: seven years of "The Magnificent Seven".
To witness Henrik scoring is a truly spiritual experience.
I wouldn't mind if Leonard Cohen roomed with Henrik: neither have anything to prove. They might even get on together: Leonard could read poetry to Henrik, and, in turn, Henrik teach Leonard how to score (goals, of course!).
I feel a poem coming on......
Andrew.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Elizabeth. I happen to think (sometimes my brain hurts) that I cannot discuss matters spiritual without aluding to the rest of the issues that surround my somewhat mundane existence. Conversly, I cannot discuss isues in my life without ocassionaly refering to matters spiritual. I don't feel the need to enter another room to discuss matters which I would consider spiritual. We all discuss matters Cohen, while often relating snipits of our lives and how Cohen has coloured our lives.
Can I put it as simply as this? Our lives are colourful, and I am happy to engage in all manner of discussion about the hues and textures of those lives. I personally do not feel a need to venture into a seperate room in order to discuss the intensity or otherwise of a certain colour or colours. Spirituality does not exist in a vacuum. It exists all around us (me) every day. A piece of lace is full of holes, but it is still a beautiful work of art. My view on the matter of the proposal is that I am happy to look at the lace and not the holes. The lace holds the holes together. The spiritual side of my life holds the rest of my life together. I take the view that many readers of the forum can be uplifted by an oblique reference to life and spiritual issues, far more than entering a room specifically designated for closer/in-depth discussion. An interesting topic can grow and flourish in the full view of the forum without having to push it into a seperate room.
But, if you want to use the facility as now suggested, then I have no problem with that either. I just don't happen to enjoy the idea of putting ideas/groups/issues/discussions into their own little boxes. I am worried that somewhere down the line, someone is going to write a post in the forum, telling someone else that they 'should' go to a seperate section to discuss an emerging train of thought. Believe me, someone will use the word 'should' and of all the words in the English language, that word gets me very angry. I think I'm looking further along this proposed route, if the suggestion/proposal is taken up. Every decision has consequences and I happen to think that the consequences in this case, could cause problems. It is like the long running thread we had before the second Gulf War. Some of us warned the rest of the readership that attacking Iraq had not been thought out properly and that many young men and women would die as a consequence of the war. NOT only in the war, but AS A RESULT of there having been a war.
The forum is open for discussion and I enjoy using the various threads of it, without being tied down to any particular one. We pick up a thread and 'run with it' for a while, but without losing sight of a lot of other intertwined threads.
I will now go and have a break and when I come back, I'll tell you why I think the proposal is a very good idea. :?
I haven't bothered to check my dictionary for any spelling in this post, which is why you will find irrors. I'm quite tired at the moment and I've also been asked to give Pete a huge public hug by Cia. My steps falter as I withdraw from my computer screen. Albert is making me some Horlicks. He looks worried.............
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: I hope your medication takes effect soon, Byron. It appears with your staggering and all that you may be decompensating :wink: .

However, I'm more than a bit baffled as to why the impression of there being a room for Spirituality discussion seems to most, who have commented, as though the suggestion were being made for a room that would transport one into the vortex of a tornado, possibly even a black hole, from which there would be no return. Yet, if such a miracle of disappearance and return should occur ~ it would be under the strictest of orders for compliance with a gag order, before the iron gate would open [and slam behind] for their release from the Spirituality section :? . Should such a section ever appear, I give you my personal reassurance and guarantee that you will not be marched to the iron gate and forced to enter. I have but one disclaimer that comes with that, of course. I cannot be held responsible for whatever Albert may impose upon and make you do.

It seems such a simple matter, really ~ not altogether different from the sections and sub-sections already in place. Only and simply a new one. It seems to be mysteriously striking some other chords.

I won't elaborate on some recent examples of the "should"-rule implementation :wink: . I'll be interested in reading your "pro" treatise, however, now that I've seen your "con" one, in all its glory :D .

~ Elizabeth
Paula

Post by Paula »

Byron I couldn't help noticing your throwaway remark at the end of your "poem". Is that what the medication is for :lol:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

And, of course, Byron, I trust that you understand that the exaggerated tornado/black hole references are strictly and wholly [not holy ~ as there's no Spirituality section :wink: ] for effect :) ~ however, the essence remains the same.

Still in favour,
Elizabeth

Return to “Comments & Questions”