Please read

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

Soul mates are lucky (if they get old :wink: ) to spend time in one anothers' ( note the plural apostrophy there ) company, wherein they can speak with fewer words than usual, to achieve a greater empathy with like minded friends. For to be able to engage in such mental and 'spiritual' exercise, they really do need to be with friends. Antagonistic counter arguments are not possible in the field of friendly discussion, because such negative responses bring a further dimension, which sours or stunts, the natural development of free flowing thought(s).
A place which is set aside for the natural growth and unhindered focus of/on points of mutual interest, allows for the contributers to follow a less unadulterated line of reasoning and thought process(es).
There is no compulsion to stay within its confines, but a visitor would know that they could expect and enjoy to meet minds on a similar quest to their own.
Albert looks more serene now than he did heretofore.
Paula, unlike myself, Albert follows the green and white roundals of Scotia's highest echelon. ( Matron says its because he fancies himself in a kilt :roll:)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Byron ~

Before I go any further, is Albert's tooth about ready to come out? Have you used pliers in the past, your fingers, or simply wrapping a string around the tooth and the doorknob, until Albert is ready for the door to be slammed shut? The tooth actually looks like it may come out on its own :) .

Ah, yes, now what were we talking about? The sacred room, yes ~ the fortunate ones share those rooms together all the time. They live in them. That quiet and unspoken understanding, where a glance speaks of a book that both once read, or volumes of thoughts on a topic thoroughly discussed at another time, maybe another place. However, a place set aside for others, many of whom have never met, and likely never will, to share in gentle discussion and consideration of the sacred seems good. How many are inclined to become contentious in a cathedral vs. in a tavern. Oops ~ that is not to suggest that this is a tavern :lol: ! However, you do know what I mean, yes?

Taigaku shared with me his idea for an opening thread. Ironically, even though he had specified that it would be great to have a room for such discussions, that would not require Leonard's music or poetry for starting points ~ the initial thread would involve Leonard :) .

Did you by chance ever take "debate" class in high [secondary?] school? It hones the ability to make a case for either side of a discussion.

~ Elizabeth
Rock Rose

Post by Rock Rose »

You're description of the suggested Spirituality discussion room had me :lol: :lol: :lol: Lizzy.

I think it's a really nice idea Taigaku.

I agree with others that our spirituality suffuses all aspects of our life and we don't divorce ourselves from it at certain times ie when we participate in the forum. linmag - you put it so eloquently when you said that spirituality 'tends to weave itself in and out of the discussion' anyway. However, I have noticed while browsing threads that just when a spiritual themed digression is getting interesting someone will post something that refers back to the original subject matter and the spiritual sub thread gets lost and then it could be too far back for anyone else to pick up on. I appreciate that that is the way of conversation but perhaps a designated room for spiritual matters would be good for keeping discussion focused primarily on these matters. Like everything else we don't have to participate in it if we don't want to.

Rock Rose
Lead Thou me to the land of the angels, be to me as a star, be to me as a helm.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Your comments here, Rock Rose, have very real merit in terms of how the threads do meander and grow, and as you've described, suddenly become lost, as the initiator's original intent is reinstituted.

If there were a room where the sacred and spiritual are already the intent, those interested in those matters [as opposed to information-sharing, etc.] can go, at will, to that room; and with a higher degree of certainty that the original intent of those matters, with these threads, has likely not become lost. It will be understood.

I agree with you that it just sounds like a lovely idea. Besides, how else am I going to learn about the spiritual draw of the pool table? The powers above know I've tried to understand. I've even banked a few shots, and made some in tandem with several balls, and they went in :D ! Whoa, what a thrill! But, it wasn't enough to have me there the next night, or for hours on end, any night! Maybe Vesuvius has a galaxial explanation. I'd sure be interested in Taigaku's spiritual one, if he really has one :lol: .

~ Lizzy [and :wink: on my description :lol: ]
Taigaku

Post by Taigaku »

Ah, I should never have mentioned pool...
But give me a little time and I'll write the Great Apology for Pool.. Like any other activity it can be approached as a "practice" - e.g. the Japanese "Way of Tea", "Way of the Sword" etc.
Writing about this with regard to pool would simply mean that you westernize the implications of Buddhist and Vedantic teachings of non-duality..

But more commonly, pool is "just a game". It's a rather advanced game, however, one that requires a grasp of applied mathematics (angles being the least of its complexities..)
This I will leave for later :D

~Taigaku
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Sounds good to me, either way, Taigaku ~

"Way of the Cue" is not what I consider a necessity in my life. However, I surely could learn something through it; though I, no doubt, would prefer reading other applications of the non-duality teachings. Applied mathematics, eh? Well, no wonder ~ I only got as far as completing Algebra II ~ never even took physics :? .

Sincerely hoping to run into you, one day, in the Sacred Room :D .

~ Elizabeth

Return to “Comments & Questions”