Jesus

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Hey Sohbet... I think you already see that the new board is going even better than old one...
Concerts you don't have... Check my web page, here is link somewhere in my profile :)
tom
peterhmm

Jesus

Post by peterhmm »

re....."There's something I've never been able to understand. Why did Jesus cry out, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachtani?" when he was on the cross. This means, "My God, My God, why did you abandon me?" What is the Christian explanation for this?"

Christ often spoke in parables, so truth could be---self-revelation. An explaination for "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani" from Matthew, can be of a personal call.

God can, and does manifest in the human body.

Christ says "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani"

There are hard times in life..no doubt!...when laughter merges with tears...... tears merge with laughter. So as to not belittle the human experience of a reader of this...there are "hard times!" My hard times can not measured to yours....as there are some who reading this... have experienced impalpable existence to that of others. Arguably this is true always, but the semantics of such an argument is the ironic consequence of this writing.

So what does it mean?

"Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani."

When tears and laughter merge. When God and a human merge.
A choice can exist. At this moment, and there are many of them, when the two things touch, Christ is calling. "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani" There is "choosable choice" at that moment, and that is when Christ is calling "Eli, Eli, lema sabacthani"

There can be a danger in finding a specific "Christian" explaination. Defining such a thing specifically impedes the constant fluctation of perception, unless such explaination is general enough that it allows for needed change in that meaning, but such generality renders criticism for not being specific enough.

Peter
Makera

Post by Makera »

Peterhmm~
Actually, the quote (from Mark 15:34 & Matt 27:34; NKJV) is:
"Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?"; which is a quote, in Aramaic, from Ps 22:1. ("Eli" is Hebrew for the Aramaic 'Eloi')

This website may be of interest regarding the "art...not science" of accurate translations: http://wahiduddin.net/words/forsaken.htm

It just may allow for the "needed change in that meaning"... as you mentioned. :D

~Makera

PS. You are right also regarding the multi-layered meanings, such as "Christ calling"... to/from whithin us?... :idea:
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

I followed the link, and it did bring a tear to my eye, the "for this was I kept" translation.

The thing is, I have always taken comfort from the King James version as Christ having a moment when he lost sight of his father, his faith and belief. So he was bnot , for that moment, the son of god, but simply a man, completely alone, and completely human.
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

and this showed the futility of human existance, an immortal made mortal
hanging on the bloodied wood.
georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Oh, beautifully put, George.

What suffering, if he always knew he had a get-out-of-jail-free card? That one moment was his link to humanity.

Do we know even that our lives are futile?
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
Makera

Post by Makera »

Jeannieb & George~
You are also, of course, both right; multi-layered levels in the mystic realms of Truth allow for many truths to exist simultaneously - without contradiction. (Gandhi said something similar as well)
Remember, "My Father's house has many mansions".

~Makera
peterhmm

jesus

Post by peterhmm »

the dichotomic general of the specific can be equally as dangerous
Makera

Post by Makera »

Return to “Comments & Questions”