Back Again

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Heretic

Post by Heretic »

Try reading a play but ignoring the lines of one of the characters.
Let me know how it goes Jurica.
Anyway, this is just the tip of the iceberg.
I have a VERY long list of people who are no longer here.
You decide why they don't bother any more.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Mr. Ed ~

Why have you waited until only now to comment on this situation. To add fuel to the fire that was finally dying? You have also misconstrued where my objections lie.

Your own disapproval of Leonard's use of profanity and sexual references; Beautiful Losers [whose title in itself could give a clue and certainly supports Leonard's own recognition as to the "desirability" of its content]; his poetry in Death of a Lady's Man; "all the women he's had;" his "recent drawings;" and TNS are all matters to which you are certainly entitled to your opinion. And you've bypassed many opportunities here to seriously comment upon them. Also, your being a "recent newcomer," which I've already clearly stated but will repeat for your benefit, does not in and of itself make any difference. It certainly does not disqualify you from forming a mature opinion of his work, or life.

Mature [or otherwise] opinions of his work, or life, were not the issue. The core issue had to do with blatant disrespect in response to a personal message from Leonard "on" his birthday, and picking it apart like vultures. There have been many negative comments "about Leonard" made in various threads. This is not what I was speaking to. This was the equivalent of to Leonard and/or a mocking of him in public, barely after he's left the podium.

The Spanish proverb is an excellent one. Even the essence of that has been discussed in a variety of ways in regard to Leonard. That is also not what I was speaking to.

I can only wonder why, with all these things you now have to say, in your parting, about Leonard and his work, you haven't been participating in all or any of our serious discussions here. You obviously have your own strong opinions. Yet, nothing comes forth ~ in anything other than your parodies, which may have been posted only to demonstrate your own writing abilities ~ until your dramatic departure.

I, likewise, did not accuse Linda of "contempt for Leonard." The only thing I have spoken to is a lack of the demonstration of respect, which was claimed. I also did not "mock" Linda's one, long-term marriage. I did reference it, however, in that it had previously been cited as the screen through which Leonard and his life were being judged. The things I listed were done so, so as to question "utmost respect." When people have expressed disapproval of many areas of another person's life, and a goodly share of what they've produced, and then disapprovingly dissect a personal message from them, the utmost respect seems quite buried and unrecognizable in light of the evidence.

You seem to be martyring yourself and making me your scapegoat with your departure. With all you've said here, I have to wonder, as I have with some others, why you come here. Is it as an area for plying your trade as a comedy writier? Do you canter from site-to-site to find fresh hay for material? Whinney awhile and then move on, making rounds on your circuit? Have you simply removed this from your list of writing opportunities and venues?

As Tony has already noted, I have also enjoyed the humour [even in spite of myself, when they were at my expense] of your pieces. You've been absent for long periods of time during other periods. At one time, I questioned your motives and your genuine interest in Leonard. With your own approach in your pieces, as well as everything said in your posting here, I can see why nothing anyone said to undermine/invalidate Leonard's message was at all disturbing to you.

As she-bears-with-cubs go, where would you expect to find one on behalf of Leonard, over on the Bob Dylan site? In Mr. Ed's stable?

~ Lizzytysh
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Everyone,

I like Mr. Ed.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I like Mr Ed too.
Linda

Post by Linda »

I loved Mr Eds posts, especially the one about the napkin and Mr Cohen. Please reconsider. Also others that have left for the same reason, reconsider. Hang in like I do, not too many have had to defend themselves more than I have against Lizzytysh, I am still here.

Although the reference to my personal life are getting a bit much, and it is getting rather stressful. So perhap I am the one who should reconsider, where are you going Mr Ed? :)
Linda
Linda

Post by Linda »

In your post Lizztysh your say, When people have expressed disapproval of many areas of another person's life, and a goodly share of what they've produced, and then disapprovingly dissect a personal message from them, the utmost respect seems quite buried and unrecognizable in light of the evidence.

Express disapproval of many areas of another persons life? a goodly share of what they've produced. Lizzytysh how can you even say that? And feel good about yourself.

Ignore your posts and let the lies go unquestioned, I think not.
Linda
jurica

Post by jurica »

Linda, I'm not by any means inviting others to ignore lizzy's posts. I for one never felt insulted by anything she ever written. I've only invited those who wish to leave on account of either lizzy's or Heretics or anybody else'e posts to consider simply not reading them.

Lizzytysh, Leonard is a public person. He decided to become a public person when he started singing. Singers are public persons on default bases. Anybody has a right to say whatever he thinks of public person of his own choice. This is a public place. If he's not using 'dirty' words, he's not breaking any rules.

Further more: I don't agree Leonard is sincere in singing his emotions. He's not THAT kind of a poet (if he was, I wouldn't be interested in him). Just read Death of a Lady's Man... He himself is mocking his poems, and giving us a perspective: it's just poetry - not his personal diary.

Heretic - I'm sorry you write less than you did before. I think this forum needs you. I think I feel some bitterness in your posts, but I never thought you minded us always going against you. I figured you saw your role as the-one-going-against-others. True Heretic. I'm sorry if I read you wrong, and insulted you before (as I did on several occasions). I simply thought that's the role I was supposed to play.
Kush

Post by Kush »

This whole thing is a play, Jurica. We are all playing our respective roles. Heretic's character requires he posts less awhile (after the timed departure of Partisan). My character requires I make light of LC's music. Lizzytysh is improvising as she goes along. Sorry you were not given the entire script when you joined.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

All the worlds a stage, Kush.
There is not many of us that don't play to some audience.
On a public forum, anything goes. this is called democracy and it is coming to the LC files.......................
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
Kush

Post by Kush »

That was s'posed to be light-hearted George. Part of the plot as was Jurica's earlier post. Please read the script properly. :)
babz

Help

Post by babz »

I just spilled coffee on my script.
Does anyone have an extra copy?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: Babz :lol: ~ I'll check around. I thought I did, but I may have already given it to someone else :lol: .

~ Lizzytysh
Linda

Post by Linda »

I must have the wrong script because I have an interpreter for my lines. Maybe I am in the wrong play.
Linda
Kush

Post by Kush »

Babz...if you ask the Director nicely (Jarkko) he might provide you with another one. Else I'll try to stop by Kinko's tomorrow.
We have to be careful so as not to interrupt (or interpret) other players' parts. As you know the author (Leonard Cohen) likes his work to be tightly scripted and doesnt care too much for improvization, especially for this play...his ultimate masterpiece. After all, this cast was exclusively picked by the author himself for our specific roles.
I also hear that Mr. Ed may return next season as Jai the Busboy. And Suzanne as the new owner of The Bottomline. Let us hope these rumors are true.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I can be an understudy for someone. But only if you have a sick note and cannot attend in person.

Return to “Comments & Questions”